Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > feb 2012 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1189 comments Had a good month quality wise. Here are my February reads:

Top Reads

The Dead Yard (Michael Forsythe #2) by Adrian McKinty The Dead Yard
Adrian McKinty
Well written but very violent. Michael Forsythe is coerced into infiltrating an IRA cell in Boston that seems to have a bunch of misfits and rejects as members. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by Gerard Doyle who was excellent.

The Defection of A.J. Lewinter A Novel of Duplicity by Robert Littell The Defection of A.J. Lewinter: A Novel of Duplicity
Robert Littell
A great cold war spy novel. The book had plenty of intrigue, competing motivations, and a darkly cynical tone that I really enjoyed. I listened to the audio version which was narrated by Scott Brick.

Good Reads

The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie The Body in the Library
Agatha Christie
I always enjoy Miss Marple. When the Bantry's find a dead body in their library, Miss Marple agrees to help find the murderer. I listened to the audio version read by Stephanie Cole.

Let It Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7) by Ian Rankin Let It Bleed
Ian Rankin
Another enjoyable entry in this series. Rebus can sometimes be a bit wearing and the plot became mired down in conspiracies but everything came together in a nicely done ending.

Gypsy in Amber by Martin Cruz Smith Gypsy in Amber
Martin Cruz Smith
A debut novel that packed a lot into a small amount of pages. Published back in 1971 this book explored antiques and gypsy culture along with providing a suspenseful plot.

Shaq Uncut My Story by Shaquille O'Neal Shaq Uncut: My StoryShaquille O'Neal
While not much of a Shaq fan during most of his career I've kind of come around on him and found this book about his life pretty interesting. Listened to the audio version which was performed by Dion Graham who really had Shaq's cadence and tone down perfectly.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments The audio books you listened to in February sound great, Sandi! I may have to try The Dead Yard
Sandi wrote: "Had a good month quality wise. Here are my February reads:Top Reads The Dead YardAdrian McKinty
Well written but very violent..."

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Gypsy in amber was a good one. Martin Cruz Smith is versatile and educating without forcing it.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1189 comments Daniel wrote: "Gypsy in amber was a good one. Martin Cruz Smith is versatile and educating without forcing it."

Yes, he was good right out of the gate. I glad you and Shomeret recommended the book. I had to get it through inter-library loan but it was worth the hassle.

Ann,

The Dead Yard is the second book in a trilogy though the story takes place a few years after the first book ends.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments The Body in the Library was the second Agatha Christie I read, back in the '60s. The first was And Then There Were None, still my favorite.

I'm tempted by the Shaq book. I never cared for him until he joined the Celtics a few years ago and he was a regular around town. He seems quite charming. He would do things like plunk himself down in Harvard Square and talk to the folks who came by. Very accessible. I wish we could have gotten him earlier in his career when he still had his talent.

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Great month, Sandi. I loved The Defection of A J Lewinter and also really enjoyed Littell's book The Company. Just added Gypsy in Amber to the way too long list of reserves. I've liked so many of Martin Cruz Smith's books and didn't know about this one.

message 7: by Ann (last edited Mar 04, 2012 01:13PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Thanks, Sandi! I requested so many books yesterday - I must have felt good after having a bit of free time to read (so wanted to be overbooked to the nth degree) . I will consider reading the first book first after I figure out what I requested and under which format. ;)
Organizing ones reading can be quite complicated these days!
Sandi wrote: "The Dead Yard is the second book in a trilogy though the story takes place a few years after the first book ends. "

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Tell me about it, Ann! Between owned books, library books, books on CD, audible dot com books, Kindle books, iTouch books, and whatever I've forgotten, I can't keep my requests/ TBRs straight! I need another week vacation!

Ann wrote: "Organizing ones reading can be quite complicated these days! "