What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Could be a classic, Historical fiction, Scandinavian, woman and her family’s story [s]

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Aug 09, 2012 02:08PM) (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Scandinavian, historical fiction, I believe my copy of book was published in 70ties

The novel is set in Norway or Sweden, at the end of 19th or at the beginning of 20th century. The main character is woman and it is her life story. She is some sort of servant and she lives in simple wood house close to the sea with her family (husband and later three sons, daughter) at some point she realises that her master is happy that she has children as it means her children most likely will work for him one day.

Her first son was very serious and hard working and spent all his time learning as he wanted to improve his social status. He ends marrying a girl who worked in local shop (?) and taking care of his niece and mother. He has nice house in some big city and good job (something to do with ships)

Second son was easy going and he didn’t have smooth relationship with older brother. He was in love with the girl who later married his brother. At some point he started to drink and had a child from local girl who wasn’t quite right in her mind.

Third son was beautiful boy and sickly. He wanted to join some ship but his older brother begged their mother not to let him go as he was worried about abuse at the ship what his brother will undergo. There were rumours that the youngest meets with older women and receives presents from them. (Someone told that to his mother) At the end he went sailing not listening to protests and drowned with others and the ship.

Second or more likely third son’s name was Eric.

Daughter died as child. She got pneumonia or something.

Husband died too (later in the novel) but before that he become childish and physically weak.

I am quite sure that author is male.

Hope someone will recognize the book I’m babbling about. : )

message 2: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 51 comments Could be something by Knut Hamsun, though he wasn't know for making a woman the main character.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think these have been translated into English but this made me think Stormskärs-Maja series by Anni Blomqvist.

message 4: by Anna (last edited Mar 03, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments No it can’t beAnni Blomqvist, I am quite sure that author was male and book was set in Norway or Sweden and not in Finland. I am not sure but main character name was Christine or Katrina or something similar. I also remembered that one of the characters was called JOHAN or had some very similar name and I believe it was husband’s name.
I checked Knut Hamsun’s bibliography and he is not the one.
I read that book in Latvian so I have no idea if it had been translated into English.

PS I really appreciate your help and suggestions, thanks .

message 5: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 51 comments The only other thing I can think of is Kristin Lavransdatter, which I may have misspelled. It's 3 books and it's set in medieval times so probably isn't what you're after.

Kristin Lavransdatter

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments No, it is not this one.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments bump 5 >:D

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Happened to run across this thread, so here's another free bump. ;)

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments bump

message 10: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Feb 19, 2014 06:38PM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Its by Moa Martinsson,a female author.

I cant find the English version books to add here but its a duology of books first one is called "Women and Apple trees" and second one is called "Sallys sons"

message 11: by Daphne (last edited Feb 19, 2014 06:50PM) (new)

Daphne | 245 comments Moa Martinson for the author link.

Women and Appletrees is the first book you listed.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Its by Moa Martinsson,a female author.

I cant find the English version books to add here but its a duology of books first one is called "Women and Apple trees" and second one is called "Sallys sons""

I don't think it's Women and Apple trees.
Summary: This novel, which focuses on two young women early in the 20th century, both victims of sexual abuse, as they struggle to gain for themselves and their children the rights and opportunities usually denied to poor women.

It could be Sallys sons but I couldn't find summary for it.

Plus, if I remember correctly the heroine in the book I read didn't have any close friends and she was somehow passive.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Summary for Sallys sons

Sally who always lived under harsh conditions and constantly had to fight against poverty and hunger , has married the village's richest peasant farmer in Vide . Nowadays she lives on a farm and have a higher standard of living than before. She is not happy with how the living conditions change. She feels like a failure and has the feeling that she is in and with the poison lost the fight against poverty and distress - "For the winning battles fought on marbos and arid torpens pinnmo and the streets full of nooks " .

Sally's sons are very skeptical about the mother's choice to marry up . They also feel that she failed his fight by getting married to a farm and they are not interested to be left on Willow , but rather seek out and try something different. Oldest son Bruno lives in Paris where he has long worked as a gigolo . Two of her sons live in Stockholm, where one works in a factory and the other lives in the archipelago. Gunnar , one of the two sons who live on the left on Willow Farm, makes a mentally retarded girl pregnant and leave the village for a while, but will return when it settled down.

When two of Sally's sons die in a short time interval ill Sally . She gets a high fever and permeates through the night . There are some months known that Sally is pregnant , even though she is a little over 40 years. The child in the stomach has died and the doctor is forced to make a risky surgery to get it out and unfortunately it fails and Sally 's death.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Thanks for looking up the summary for Sally's sons. :)

It's definitely not the book I'm looking for. :(

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Anna wrote: "Thanks for looking up the summary for Sally's sons. :)

It's definitely not the book I'm looking for. :("

Are you sure.? One of her youngest sons does drown. Its not mentioned in this summary though.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Anna wrote: "Thanks for looking up the summary for Sally's sons. :)

It's definitely not the book I'm looking for. :("

Are you sure.? One of her youngest sons does drown. Its not mentioned in this..."

Yes, I'm 90% sure.

Is it possible to check in what languages Martinson's books were translated? Because the book I'm looking for was translated into Latvian.

message 18: by Anna (new)

message 19: by Anna (new)

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
Could it be something by August Strindberg?

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments I does sound something he could write but it looks like that in Latvian has been translated only The Red Room, By the Open Sea, A Dream Play, The Ghost Sonata , A Madman's Manifesto, Miss Julie and Creditors

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments I found it! *happy dance*

It's Katriina by Sally Salminen

* looks at mssge #4* The book is set in Finland (not Norway or Sweeden as I thought) and the author is female