Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

What a Dragon Should Know (Dragon Kin, #3)
This topic is about What a Dragon Should Know
Group Reads Archive > March 2012 Group Read: Fun-loving Dangerous Hero - What A Dragon Should Know (The Dragon Kin #3) by G.A. Aiken *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel the Book Harlot (last edited Mar 02, 2012 04:04PM) (new)

Rachel the Book Harlot | 217 comments Welcome to the March Group Read discussion thread! This month's book is What A Dragon Should Know by G.A. Aiken.

Book Description: Only for those I love would I traipse into the merciless Northlands to risk life, limb, and my exquisite beauty. But do they appreciate it? Do they say, 'Gwenvael the Handsome, you are the best among us - the most loved of all dragons?' No! For centuries my family has refused to acknowledge my magnificence as well as my innate humility. Yet for them, and because I am so chivalrous, I will brave the worst this land has to offer. So here I stand, waiting to broker an alliance with the one the Northlanders call The Beast. A being so fearful, the greatest warriors will only whisper its name. Yet I, Gwenvael, will courageously face down this terrifying...woman? It turns out the Beast, a.k.a. Dagmar Reinholdt, is a woman - one with steel-gray eyes and a shocking disregard for my good looks. Beneath her plain robes and prim spectacles lies a sensual creature waiting to be unleashed. Who better than a dragon to thaw out that icy demeanor? And who better than a beast to finally tame a mighty dragon's heart?

Feel free to post your thoughts below such as:

**What did you think about the Hero and Heroine? Did they make a good match? Were they likeable? Why or why not?
**Did the relationship progress at a good pace? Was it too fast? Too slow? Why?
**What did you think of the story? Did it hold your interest and pull you in?
**Favorite quotes or scenes?
**How would you rate the "steam" level?
**Would you recommend other books in the series? **Would you recommend other books by this author?

Have fun and happy reading!

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments This book and this series really crack me up. The way the author writes the main characters just makes me laugh. So often they are yelling at each other or beating on each other. The best parts are when it is the women that are doing it to each other. Part of that comes from them all being family. And it seems to be so true that no one other than your family can make you madder faster than them, and while it is ok for you to call them bad names or beat on them, no one else has that right.

This book ramped up the battle coming after Annwyl and her soon to be children. With threat after her, she sends Gwenvael to find out some info, but him being who he is manages to get himself in a crazy situation and all hell breaks loose from there.

I found as the story went on I loved Dagmar. She had just the right personality to put up with all of the dragons and all of their crap.

I also loved seeing more of the extended dragon family and all of their antics, which lead to some much needed levity to break the heart-wrenching part of the story. Annwyl back to her bloody self was both scary and funny.

In the end the book had me laughing right up to the last page. Can't wait to see what happens next.

DemetraP | 32 comments I loved Dagmar and Gwenvael. I laughed out loud at least 6 times when reading this book.

Favorite repeated quotes: "I never touched her!" "I'm not lying!"

I thought it was great that Gwenvael actually had a brain in addition to being obsessed with women and sex. His little ruse of crying and constantly asking about Dagmar's brother so her family would think he was homosexual was hilarious. When he explained he did it to keep them nervous around him, etc. I was impressed with his plan.

At first I thought Gwenvael would never be happy with a woman who wears plain dresses and isn't a breaktaking beauty. But he proved me wrong. He liked her conniving ways and ability to cause trouble and use information.

Overall, it was just great to read about a smart heroine like Dagmar. I loved this book. I checked the author's website and Eibhear the Blue's book is next to be released. I hope it is as good as Gwenvael's book.

message 4: by Kryptonite (last edited Mar 10, 2012 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments DemetraP wrote: "Overall, it was just great to read about a smart heroine like Dagmar. I loved this book. I checked the author's website and Eibhear the Blue's book is next to be released. I hope it is as good as Gwenvael's book."

Agree with you completely on this book.
I'm guessing Eibhear's book is going to be more angst than humorous.
I enjoyed the first book a lot too: Dragon Actually but Gwenvael's story is still my fav in the series.
Didn't care so much of the 2nd one. 4th is good/okay (Last Dragon Standing). Wasn't expecting much from the 5th: The Dragon Who Loved Me but it turned out to be great. Another humorous book through not as much as the 3rd.

message 5: by Kryptonite (last edited Mar 17, 2012 03:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kryptonite (sg34) | 406 comments Just finished this month's group read:

What did you think about the Hero and Heroine? Did they make a good match? Were they likeable? Why or why not?
I think the hero & heroine were a perfect match… both equal in personality, always trumping others. They balanced each other well and made up for what the other lacked. Like Dagmar has diplomacy when dealing with situations and, although Gwenvael also has skills in the department, it wasn’t with subtlety. But Gwenvael also enjoyed it with humor and relaxed which is what Dagmar needed. Both were very likeable characters and very entertaining.

Did the relationship progress at a good pace? Was it too fast? Too slow? Why?
I think the progress was decent. You could understand why the characters fell for each other… it wasn’t rushed and only about the physical.

What did you think of the story? Did it hold your interest and pull you in?
Definitely held my interest. This was a second time read for me and, the same as the first time, I finished the book quickly.

Would you recommend other books in the series? **Would you recommend other books by this author?
As far as I know the author only has this series.
But I’d recommend all the books in this series except book 2. That was too boring for me, I almost didn’t pick up the 3rd, but I’m glad I did. The author’s site also mentions a story about the Dragon King & Queen and how they got together. I think it’s a free read so check it out.

Susan (sodaksusan) | 2 comments I loved this book. I love the entire series. I read all of them last fall and am currently trying to purchase them for my kindle. (Content problems on downloaded really bum me out.)
GA Aiken also writes as Shelly Laurenston, so there are a bunch of her books I would recommend. Most of her heroes are shifters (bears, wolves, lions and tigers) and the stories are laugh out loud funny. I think I have given all of them either 4 or 5 stars.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Just got around to finishing this one.

What did you think about the Hero and Heroine?
Loved Dagmar and Gwenvael. They are a perfect match for each other (two peas in a pod) particularly in their ability to manipulate others wth words rather than swords. The bookish and sharp-tongued Dagmar is my favorite heroine so far (brains over brawn any day) and the slutty Gwenvael grows on you like a fungus.

Did the relationship progress at a good pace?
I think that the pacing was just right for them. It was important for them to get to know each other first because Gwenvael is the love 'em and leave 'em type but Dagmar is different from other women and he likes and respects her. If they had just jumped in the sack, it would have demeaned their feeling for each other.

What did you think of the story?
I'm still having some problems with the plots in this series. The world building is still insufficient - not enough background information on characters or explanations about gods, allegiances and magick. Moreover, the story dragged in some places, particularly at the end.

Favorite quotes or scenes?
Loved the scene in the beginning when she walks off and leaves him standing there with his mouth hanging open.