Indie Book Club discussion

Currently Writing > Untitled "Urban Fantasy"

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B. (new)

B. Throwsnaill (bthrowsnaill) | 208 comments I seem to be writing an urban fantasy. It's not that I set out to, but I started having ideas...and more ideas...and more ideas. And now it's clear there's a novel there. I figure it may be a good change of pace from the Hemlock series. A way to catch my breath and reset my point of view.
It's going to involve some experiences from my past interwoven with fiction, and it's going to be more of a story about fantasy than a real fantasy. I don't want to say more right now.

message 2: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
Nice! I'm looking forward to it!

My next book after I finish the BC trilogy is something different for me, too.

message 3: by B. (new)

B. Throwsnaill (bthrowsnaill) | 208 comments Cool. Any idea what? I've read that switching genres is very risky for an author. Have you considered that?

message 4: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments I don't find writing more than one genre is always as risky as people think. I write romance in one side and paranormal suspense on the other, both under the same name, and with the same results. I just make it clear on my site that I have these two "veins" I write in, and advertise/market each in their appropriate genre venues. I think "switching" is only risky if you drop the first entirely for another. Then any fans you built with the first may not follow, but some will. I follow authors across genres.

Just my two cents, as it's something I've thought about. :)

message 5: by B. (new)

B. Throwsnaill (bthrowsnaill) | 208 comments Mia, thanks for the information on the multiple genres. It gives me some comfort to read your take on doing it; and my intent is to continue epic/sword and sorcery fantasy indefinitely (since it is my first love). Since you haven't dropped either genre, do you find that a high percentage of your fans crossover between both?

message 6: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Honestly, I don't know for sure. I've just seen that interest rates (sales between the books that actually cost money) seem to be about the same. So whether I have about the same number of fans for each, or if they are the same people crossing over, I couldn't tell but I don't see either side being "hurt" by the other.