Rated YA-MA discussion

Other Books & Comics > Male Protags

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Dec 19, 2012 12:33AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Since I know there aren't as many books with male protags, let's talk about some. Which ones have you all read?

My top 3 with male leads :
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman (shifting male/female PoV's)

Other books/series which I really enjoyed :
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan Looking for Alaska by John Green Something Like Normal by Trish Doller Hushed by Kelley York Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake
The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima (shifting male/female PoV's)

Other books with male leads I've read (some I liked more than others) :
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner Boy Toy by Barry Lyga City of Masks (Stravaganza, Book 1) by Mary Hoffman Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card
Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld (shifting PoV's)
Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant (shifting PoV's)

Adult :
Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

message 2: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Great topic! I am getting ready to go to the Hair Show where my sister is designing. But I'll definitely be putting my thoughts down!

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Mar 02, 2012 02:03PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Is it one of those crazy hair shows like this?

(view spoiler)

I think it would be fun to go to one of those.

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Mar 02, 2012 02:20PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Farsighted (Farsighted, #1) by Emlyn Chand has anyone read this? I picked it up as a Kindle freebie a little while ago and just now noticed that it's about a guy who's blind, but has a second sight type of gift. I wonder if it's any good.

message 5: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 93 comments Good topic! I really like Holly Black's male protag! And I have a few of those on my to-read list

message 6: by Wendy F (last edited Mar 02, 2012 06:44PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Stacia *the pusher wrote: "Is it one of those crazy hair shows like this?

I think it would be fun to go to one of those."

Yeah actually, haha. My sister is in beauty school and they did a small hair show. It was "L'Spirit on Broadway" And they all had to take an aspect and turn it into a hair piece (With Synthetic hair). My sister did the chandelier from Phantom of the Opera. Their make-up department also did special effecs make up and they did Zombies on Broadway which was awesome!

message 7: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Did you get pictures to share?

message 8: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Favorite Books with Male Leads:
The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta Crazy by Han Nolan Looking for Alaska by John Green The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness Monsters Of Men (Chaos Walking, #3) by Patrick Ness Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) by Melina Marchetta A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Additional Good ones:
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake

Middle Grade:
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling

Didn't Like very much:
Outtakes of A Walking Mistake by Anthony Paull

Adult book:
It by Stephen King The Long Walk by Stephen King The Talisman by Stephen King Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2) by Jordan Castillo Price

I could so keep going, lmao, but I'll stop there. (I read all of Percy Jackson and Harry POtter, I just wasn't going to list them all.)

message 9: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Mar 03, 2012 12:43AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I forgot about Chaos Walking and Finnikin. I must have missed it when looking at my books list.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Im starting to like Male protags better...not so much angst and general to much 14 yr old girlyness hhhaha

I really liked holly blacks books and Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

I might have to check out some of these other ones

message 11: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I forgot Gone, lol. And it was in your list!

message 12: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) For the most part if I put a book in a series, then there is a male protag pov in the entire series, with only a few exceptions:

YA/Middle Grade:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling Double by Jenny Valentine A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2) by Susan Beth Pfeffer Ready Player One by Ernest Cline The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Adult:
Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3) by Tana French Among the Living (PsyCop, #1) by Jordan Castillo Price The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3) by Suzanne Brockmann Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2) by Mira Grant The Secret History by Donna Tartt Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin Monkeewrench (Monkeewrench, #1) by P.J. Tracy Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffanie DeBartolo Oryx and Crake (MaddAdam Trilogy, #1) by Margaret Atwood The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón Earth Abides by George R. Stewart The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks

message 13: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments That's what I was going to do too REgina, but with Chaos Walking, I loved it so much that i had to list the whole thing, haha.

I totally forgot The Absolute Diary of a Part time Indian. My sister has my copy so I overlooked it. I also forgot Deadline and Game of Thrones...

message 14: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I felt mixed about posting Deadline. Does saying it has a male protagonist (view spoiler)?

I knew you must have just forgot about Alexie's book. :)

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) The covers for Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman and Double by Jenny Valentine are so similar.

message 16: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Mar 03, 2012 10:12PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Melanie wrote: "I think Im starting to like Male protags better...not so much angst and general to much 14 yr old girlyness hhhaha

I really liked holly blacks books and [bookcover:Hold Me Closer, Necromancer|8041..."

Then I'd definitely say to check out Anna Dressed in Blood. I found similarities between the book and HMCN/WC.

Argh, I forgot about Game of Thrones and HTKARS.

I had thought about Deadline as well, considering (view spoiler)

Daniel would probably have the best list of all of us, since he reads primarily fantasy. I think fantasy is the biggest genre for male leads, even more so than sci-fi (at least in YA).

message 17: by Regina (last edited Mar 03, 2012 11:48AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) Its funny how in classics, modern classics/award winners, literary fiction, thrillers, mysteries and fantasies the progrs are more likely male, although I have never done a scientific survey, it just seems that way. But in "our genres", it is definitely more likely a female protag.

message 18: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I think adult fiction in general has more male leads than YA does, with the exception of Middle Grade. I don't see a lot of MG fiction with female leads.

message 19: by Mirna (new)

Mirna  | 12 comments What about the BDB, they also have a shifting PoV..

message 20: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I was going to add it but forgot!

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I guess many PNR has that.

message 22: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Mar 03, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I adore BDB, but I consider it to be a series geared toward women even with the male pov's in there, whereas most of the other listed books are more gender neutral.

Although, I guess it doesn't matter because I didn't specify either.

message 23: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Yeah, I don't really think it counts as a male POV as this is how most romance's are written.

I don't think putting Deadline on the list (view spoiler).

I totally forgot to include Warm Bodies.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I forgot about Anna dressed in blood I loved that book. I have nightly at home have been wondering if its good or not might have to bump its reading place up

message 25: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Nightly?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL was typing on my phone haha I meant Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman

message 27: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Melanie it was just okay for me. I liked alot about the first half of the book and then it dragged. I heard it gets better and people really love the series. I do plan on reading #2 some time soon.

message 28: by Mad Scientist (last edited Oct 15, 2012 06:24AM) (new)

Mad Scientist (madscientist) | 60 comments How about these?

Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo Bacigalupi The Fallen and Leviathan (The Fallen, #1-2) by Thomas E. Sniegoski
The Beautiful Creatures Series?? Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia

Both series by Sherrilyn Kenyon Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon The Dark Hunter Series has some series Males! I'm thinking of one in particular. Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, #4; Were-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld series is alternating.

message 29: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) An amazing one that I just finished (male protag and male authored):

Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey

message 30: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Mad Scientist wrote: "How about these?

Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo BacigalupiThe Fallen and Leviathan (The Fallen, #1-2) by Thomas E. Sniegoski
The Beautiful Creatures Series?? Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia

Both series by Sherrilyn Ke..."

I forgot about Beautiful Creatures. Although, the vibe of the series seems tailored more to females, so maybe that's why I forgot.

message 31: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I'm going to move this out of book chat and into the other books folder because it's an actual book list. This will make the list easier to find if someone's actually looking for it.

Our book chat folder tends to get bogged down with current monthly chat topics.

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamiemayhem) | 93 comments Someone should update this beast for me.

I've been craving a male pov.

message 33: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited May 20, 2013 12:41AM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments How have I not seen this topic until now? Obviously I have to post my list of the ones I've read, or some of it anyway. I won't put 2 stars or lower, or any that I forget about. :P

Male POV books/series:

MG-
The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain, #1) by Lloyd Alexander Artemis Fowl  by Eoin Colfer The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1) by John Flanagan The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

YA-
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Being Henry David by Cal Armistead White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Witchlanders by Lena Coakley The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner Something Like Normal by Trish Doller Looking for Alaska by John Green An Abundance of Katherines by John Green Paper Towns by John Green Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz Eragon (Inheritance, #1) by Christopher Paolini What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones Stargirl (Stargirl, #1) by Jerry Spinelli Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey

Adult- there are plenty of these so I'll just list a few
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Stardust by Neil Gaiman Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1) by Isaac Marion Lonesome Dove (Lonesome Dove, #1) by Larry McMurtry The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks blahblahblah

Male+Female POV books/series:

MG-
The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1) by John Stephens

YA-
The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3) by Rae Carson The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley Eve and Adam by Michael Grant Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu The Farm (The Farm, #1) by Emily McKay Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry The Demon Trapper's Daughter (The Demon Trappers #1) by Jana Oliver Defiance (Defiance, #1) by C.J. Redwine Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis Dark Inside (Dark Inside, #1) by Jeyn Roberts Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi Scent of Magic (Healer, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

Adult-
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2) by Brent Weeks blahblahblah pretty much every multiple pov epic fantasy

Some of these series add an additional POV in one of the sequels so that's why some of these are third books or show up in both sections, etc.

message 34: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments The list queen owns us all.

message 35: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamiemayhem) | 93 comments Thanks Jenny! Just got my next up. Whoop whoop.

message 36: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I feel like I've been seeing a lot of male protags in my books lately-- here are the standout favorites:

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine Horns by Joe Hill

message 37: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments I just read Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1) by Emmy Laybourne with a male POV