Art Club discussion

ART HELP > Critique Game!

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

Sara (weisthis) | 2329 comments Mod
Some groups on dA have different critique games and stuff and I was thinking maybe we should do one?

How it works is you say one thing you like and one thing that could be improved in the piece posted before you and then you post one of your own things!

So

Person 1:

Person 2: I like the emotion but it think it's too busy.

Anyone wanna give this a shot?

message 2: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Laura  | 3132 comments Mod
Yes.
[image error]src="http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/201...

message 3: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

YOU AND YOUR AWESOMENESS NEED TO GO AWAY YOU'RE NOT PERMITTED HERE
I love your style :B Your drawings have so much personality. I think one thing that would make this better is if it were more contrasty- but not too much. Just a little.

message 4: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (last edited Mar 03, 2012 08:11AM) (new)

SHUT UP YOU'RE THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO GO AWAY BECAUSE YOU AND YOUR BRILLIANT WORK BELONG IN SOME KIND OF PROFESSIONAL GALLERY

One thing that I really love about your photos is the way you handle the lighting and how it affects the subject(s). It never seems awkward (well except for that one thing with the apple but never mind about that), and it always brings out some kind of distinct characteristic like the pattern of spines in the leaf of this photo.
You're excellent at capturing sunlight, specifically, and all of your nature shots have this essence of brightness, and with this photo, warmth.
Maybe you overdid the bokeh just a tad, but really I think it works in most of your stuff because, especially with macro shots, it highlights the focus of the photo.
You've probably already experimented with all kinds of different shots, but I'd love to see you post some landscapes or panoramas. I would love to see how you handle the composition of a piece with a focus on multiple subjects and just more stuff in it.

(Save me I'm starting to write like Charles Dickens. Please excuse the thick sentences and overuse of commas.)

[image error]src="http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/201...

message 5: by Silver (last edited Mar 02, 2012 07:52PM) (new)

Silver interesting style. She feels a bit blocky but that could be what you're aiming for. I would make the shoulder a little more rounded though. I like how you did the face. -wishing I had more to say after your critique-

[image error]

message 6: by Silver (new)

Silver -scrolling up and down- lol didn't mean to copy you Sara :/ at least your leaf is actually in focus >.<

message 7: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

Laura wrote: "SHUT UP YOU'RE THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO GO AWAY BECAUSE YOU AND YOUR BRILLIANT WORK BELONG IN SOME KIND OF MUSEUM

One thing that I really love about your photos is the way you handle the lighting and ..."

HAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT I JUST TAKE PICTURES OF PRETTY THINGS YOU'VE GOT FREAKING STYLE
Also that is a loverly critique and I'll keep things in mind. :3

Silver wrote: "interesting style. She feels a bit blocky but that coudl be what you're aiming for. I would make the shoulder a little more rounded though. I like how you did the face.

"

I like the colors and the leaf is pretty sharp. ^_^ The composition is a bit odd though. I think the branch should either be further into the frame or have more of the leaf. I think the leaf would be a better choice because the color is so eye catching.

oooh I'm gonna mix it up a bit. Here, have a drawing of mine instead of a photo

message 8: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

Silver wrote: "-scrolling up and down- lol didn't mean to copy you Sara :/ at least your leaf is actually in focus >.<"

haha don't worry about it, I didn't think you were copying me at all. Besides, that's what art is all about: doing a really good job at copying

message 9: by Silver (new)

Silver wellll Nightshade linked me to the rule of thirds XD so I've been trying that.

your drawing's interesting. Personally I can't stand drawing patterns (maybe why I'm so bad at doing hair) So I think that's amazing. And the patience! It's a really interesting idea and I think it would be awesome if you colored it.

-is obsessed with eyes-

message 10: by Talia, I like turtles. (last edited Mar 02, 2012 08:15PM) (new)

Talia | 1820 comments Mod
[Edit: oops, Silver you beat me to it...I'll add your critique]

Mhm so.

[SAAAAARAAAAA]
Like: I like the design overall and the little nit-picky details (derp. No one says nit-picky anymore.) The little details compliment each other to form an appealing design.

Critique: Although the three leaf things are good by themselves, I think the composition could improve. The one on the left seems a bit too low. If you had more space, you could have moved it further up and tilted it slightly upwards. This would make more of a symmetrical shape.

[SILVEEEEEEEEEER]
Like: I like the concept. Personally, I used to have some bizarre thing with eyes too o-o so this is pretty cool

Critique: For the golden tear concept, instead of simply changing the color of the skin, I would suggest to digitally draw over the eye for opacity. Then you could add shading and it would amazing.

message 11: by Silver (new)

Silver I'm a bit confused about what you mean on the critique... I think what I did was take away some of the color of everything except the iris and then tint the skin but not the iris and then make the iris more vibrant. What exactly are you saying? XD btw on my ipod will write more later

message 12: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Gorgeous photo...I like how it just fades into the distance. I think you could also bring out the walkway more if you saturated its color in an image editor or something--but not worries about that.

[image error]src="http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/201...
(First time I've actually drawn a dragon since I was about six. So.)

message 13: by Talia, I like turtles. (new)

Silver wrote: "I'm a bit confused about what you mean on the critique... I think what I did was take away some of the color of everything except the iris and then tint the skin but not the iris and then make the ..."

I was just saying to draw over it for opacity, not just tint the skin, to look more like a tear, ya know?

message 14: by Silver (new)

Silver Talia wrote: "Silver wrote: "I'm a bit confused about what you mean on the critique... I think what I did was take away some of the color of everything except the iris and then tint the skin but not the iris and..."

yeah... I keep trying to get a picture of an actual tear but I always miss it :P

message 15: by Talia, I like turtles. (new)

I love how you didn't make it some cliched classic dragon, but some utterly bizarre lizard dragon thing that is amazing. Hmm try making the scales on his back bigger because they are hard to see, and maybe add something on his head? It seems a little empty.

message 16: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

First off, I would like to just take a moment of silence to revel in the beauty of that pocketwatch.
Okay.
I love how pristine the focus on the watch is in contrast to the background. The sepia color fits the picture and it doesn't seem artificial. The only thing I would have to say is maybe balance out the composition a bit, like having the watch where there's emptier background. Overall it's absolutely lovely. :)

[image error]src="http://photo.goodreads.com/photos/133...

message 17: by Silver (last edited May 07, 2012 07:35AM) (new)

Silver o.O that photo is stunning. I love the focus and the GREEN-ness to it o.O It looks like something that you'd find in an illustrated children's book. I'm not sure I can come up with any helpful things to improve >. It feels a bit odd to me because I instinctively want to focus on the face but can't see it XD

[image error]

message 18: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

I think the purple is too saturated. Overall it's pretty sharp though. Good job ^_^

message 19: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Molly's Sister wrote: "I think the purple is too saturated. Overall it's pretty sharp though. Good job ^_^

"

You seriously need to stop.

message 20: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

what are you even talking about

message 21: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Oh, she pretends she knows not of what I speak of

THE PERFECTION
IT IS TOO MUCH FOR THE MORTAL SOUL

message 22: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

Oh I see how it is. Laura is talking about herself again. Crazy butt.

message 23: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (last edited Mar 08, 2012 07:45PM) (new)

touche

message 24: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

muahahahaha

message 25: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

YOU'VE WON THIS ROUND
BUT JUST YOU WAIT

message 26: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

just yew wait 'Enry 'Iggins just yew wait

message 27: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (last edited Mar 08, 2012 07:57PM) (new)

Eliza, go back to saying the alphabet. And stop saying AYE, it's A.

message 28: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

STFU IGGINS

message 29: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Harumf

message 30: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

Ah yes, I get what you're saying ^_^
So do you not want that picture critiqued?

message 31: by Inday (new)

Inday (egregore) | 9 comments Laura wrote: "Gorgeous photo...I like how it just fades into the distance. I think you could also bring out the walkway more if you saturated its color in an image editor or something--but not worries about that..."

wow. what can I say? I LOVE YOUR DRAGON!!! I like the way you make curves and curls out of supposedly sharp corners. Both artsy and fun!

message 32: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

CRITIQUE GAME DIED. D-':

message 33: by Poet in the Dark (new)

Poet in the Dark (poetinthedark) It did.

message 34: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

I'm gonna start it up again... but now because I gotta sleep.

message 35: by Jia, The lemon. (new)

Jia | 1653 comments Mod
We should put it more up near the top, so it can be more visible to the general public.

But, goodnight.

message 36: by Silver (new)

Silver next person who wants to critique, please critique this XD
http://alternativesecret.deviantart.c...

message 37: by Alice (new)

Alice (alice20) Ahh can't see any of these Deviant Art photos! If you post a picture here (with html) I would love to see it :)