Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > What are your lowest rated books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 209 (209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Tanecia (new)

Tanecia  (books101) | 3795 comments Mod
What are you lowest rated or 1 star books? We want to know before we read!

message 3: by Tanecia (new)

Really Entwined? Its such a pretty cover! Thats a shame! lol

message 4: by Tanecia (last edited Mar 02, 2012 12:56PM) (new)

Mines are:

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - 1 stars- couldnt write a review lol

Fire (The Seven Kingdoms, #2) by Kristin Cashore -3 stars- http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

A Taste Of You by Jennifer Stevenson -1 star- http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks -2 stars-boring

message 5: by Annalise (new)

Annalise Grey Halo here's my review - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I've since tried to pick it up again and I can't read it. It's horrible. Xavier is supposed to have been through so much trauma over losing his girlfriend yet he manages to be some super-stud boyfriend/school captain. Bethany and her siblings (including the archangel Gabriel!!!) are in a tiny town to influence a reconnection with people's spirituality. Blah blah blah. This book actually pissed me off when I read it and that almost NEVER happens.

message 6: by Tanecia (new)

Annalise wrote: "Halo here's my review - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I've since tried to pick it up again and I can't read it. It's horrible. Xavier is supposed to have been thr..."

Lol

message 7: by Kari (new)

Kari Tt wrote: "Really Entwined? Its such a pretty cover! Thats a shame! lol"

That is why I read it, but this is definitely a case of "don't judge a book by it's cover" (only reversed from what it normally means) :)

message 8: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Mar 02, 2012 01:08PM) (new)

Sheri | 12344 comments Mod
My lowest reviewed books are (all 1 star):
Pleasure by Eric Jerome Dickey - I didn't like the author's writing style.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Wolf Tales (Wolf Tales #1) by Kate Douglas - This one really disappointed me because I had been looking forward to reading it forever!

Shadowland (The Immortals, #3) by Alyson Noel - This series started out good, but the third book was basically a repetition of the first two and went absolutely nowhere.

message 9: by NayNay (new)

NayNay The Fallen and Leviathan (The Fallen, #1-2) by Thomas E. Sniegoski The Reader by Bernhard Schlink Swept Away by Marsha Canham The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold Crow Lake by Mary Lawson Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione BAD BAD BAD

message 10: by Tanecia (new)

Naynay wrote: "The Fallen and Leviathan (The Fallen, #1-2) by Thomas E. SniegoskiThe Reader by Bernhard SchlinkSwept Away by Marsha CanhamThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldCrow Lake by Mary Lawson[bookcover:Pleasure Unbound|2679..."

lol

message 11: by Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (last edited Mar 02, 2012 01:42PM) (new)

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 198 comments 1. Passion (Fallen, #3) by Lauren Kate - has to be the worst book ever. So boring, I'm not sure why I gave it 2 stars instead of 1.

2. For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) by Kim Harrison - 1 star. This is personal for me. I have reasons why I don't like this one. Others may enjoy.

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) I try not to keep track. If a book is bad, I don't bother to finish it. But at least I'm glad to see that, so far, none of my books is on anyone's list.

message 13: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Stephen wrote: "I try not to keep track. If a book is bad, I don't bother to finish it. But at least I'm glad to see that, so far, none of my books is on anyone's list."

LOL...that's a good sign.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) Off the top of my head The Road by Cormac McCarthy . Talk about a depressing book that has no end.

message 15: by Mercy (last edited Mar 02, 2012 05:05PM) (new)

Mercy Walker | 10 comments The one that comes to mind most recently was a book I bought from ACE Publishing. Bloodlands by Christine Cody. I didn't get fifty paes in before I put down. Bloodlands (Bloodlands, #1) by Christine Cody

message 16: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela The Hollow (The Hollow, #1) by Jessica Verday Hollow...sorry it was just a complete waste of an afternoon.
I read it because my son's friend needed a reading buddy and we both thought it made no sense at all.

message 17: by Tanecia (new)

Gabriela wrote: "The Hollow (The Hollow, #1) by Jessica VerdayHollow...sorry it was just a complete waste of an afternoon.
I read it because my son's friend needed a reading buddy and we both thought it made no sense at all."

Really. I have this book and planned on reading it soon. :( there goes another pretty cover....

message 18: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela Tt wrote: "Gabriela wrote: "The Hollow (The Hollow, #1) by Jessica VerdayHollow...sorry it was just a complete waste of an afternoon.
I read it because my son's friend needed a reading buddy and we both thought it made no s..."

Sorry...it just wasn't my cup of tea as they say. The cover is beautiful though I will agree 100% with you on that. :)

message 19: by tif (last edited Mar 03, 2012 08:28AM) (new)

tif (tiftoland) | 24 comments Thirst No. 1 The Last Vampire, Black Blood and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) by Christopher Pike isn't the worst book I've ever read or even rated the worst on my shelves, but it was one of the only books I haven't had to read for school that I didn't finish and made me so frustrated. Like I say in my very brief review of it, I think that the general plot could have made a good book. However, I had issues with the execution of said plot. I have no doubt that the author is probably quite talented, but this book was just plain boring. The main character came off as arrogant and full of herself, and not in a "arrogant bastard you love to hate but still root for" way.
I read the first two books in the collection and got so bored/frustrated I gave up.

message 20: by Kasie (new)

Kasie Wegener | 14 comments Here's two I can think of....
The Night Circus It was a waste of time. The story had no pace and I hated the characters.

The Red Badge of Courage Had to read it in high school, such a waste of time.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Roses and Bones Myths, Tales, and Secrets by Francesca Lia Block I rated it a 1.
and Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1) by Lili St. Crow Also a 1 for me.

message 22: by Katya (new)

Katya Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1)
It could have been great but the story was too chopped up and disjointed. Nothing made sense.

message 23: by Mia (new)

Mia (hotwolfie) | 24 comments Five of my lowest rated books:
Popcorn by Ben Elton. I rated it 2 stars. I would've given it 1 star, but it did have a couple of memorable lines (not enough to recommend it though to anyone).
Never Let Me Go, 1 star. Lacked originality, characters were flat and boring.
The Nanny Diaries, 1 star. I found it cliched and sexist.
Rabbit Hole, 1 star. Cliched, carboard characters.
Blindness, 1 star. Interesting premise, but writing was flat and preachy.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Wow, I *loved* Never Let Me Go!! (And the Nanny Diaries, too, lol.)

I wanted to read Blindness, but I haven't yet. It's been sitting on my shelf for a long time.

I simply couldn't get into Outlander. *A lot* of people love that book, and I keep thinking I should give it another go, but I simply couldn't get into it the first time I tried.

And don't get me started on Lolita!

That Slytherin Girl Reads  (shereadsatnight) I have to rate Evernight (Evernight, #1) by Claudia Gray a one because it bored me. :(
It was paced too slow for me too.

message 26: by Tanecia (new)

I bought this book because of the cover and it was a big mistake. I read the first chapter and it put me to sleep. I have yet to go back and finish reading it.

message 27: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 15 comments Genesis by Bernard Beckett got a 1 from me! I almost didn't review it I hated it that much!

The Importance Of Being Nobody by Garry Bridgman got 1 star, but only because it hadn't been edited or proof-read properly. Normally I'd overlook that in a book, but this was quite bad!

I Was A Brooding Teenage Vampire by Ronnell D. Porter got a 1 star also because of lack of substance and realism in the characters... boring as hell too!

message 28: by Mia (new)

Mia (hotwolfie) | 24 comments Tt wrote: "I bought this book because of the cover and it was a big mistake. I read the first chapter and it put me to sleep. I have yet to go back and finish reading it."

Don't you hate it when they sucker you in with an awesome cover or title, and then it's a dud! That's how I picked up Hotter After Midnight (Midnight, #1) by Cynthia Eden

That Slytherin Girl Reads  (shereadsatnight) Tt wrote: "I bought this book because of the cover and it was a big mistake. I read the first chapter and it put me to sleep. I have yet to go back and finish reading it."

Yeah I know. :(
Too bad it had potential.

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "Tt wrote: "I bought this book because of the cover and it was a big mistake. I read the first chapter and it put me to sleep. I have yet to go back and finish reading it."

Yeah I know. :(
Too b..."

Sometimes, the opposite can happen. A book with a lousy cover can end up being really good. I never would have bothered with

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer if a friend hadn't recommended it.

message 31: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (mrschelseabyro) The Debutante by Kathleen Tessaro ABSOLUTELY horrible!! I hate starting a book and not finishing it so it was painful to read! Don't waste your time!

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melstephensbooks) Extras I was excited to read this because I thought it was a continuation of the Uglies series, but it's just a companion book with new characters. I couldn't even get into it.

That Slytherin Girl Reads  (shereadsatnight) Michelle L. wrote: "Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "Tt wrote: "I bought this book because of the cover and it was a big mistake. I read the first chapter and it put me to sleep. I have yet to go back and finish reading it."
..."

I know. Thats why i dont rely on the covers anymore no matter how good it looks. :p

message 34: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) Da Vinci Code. I started 1st 4 pages.. it was boring.

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary | 28 comments My only 1-star is: The Shack by William P. Young

I gave 2 stars to Son of a Witch (Wicked Years, #2) by Gregory Maguire , the sequel to Wicked, which is one of my few five star ratings.

message 36: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 368 comments The Only book I have rated a one star and is kinda okay for a read is Lucky T by Kate Brian !

message 37: by Karie (new)

Karie (kwee) | 51 comments Lost Voices It got one star from me and that is being generous.

The cover looked awesome and the book had potential. I ended up finishing this terrible two hundred and some odd page book. Next time I wont waste my time finishing something so awful.

message 38: by Rahul (new)

Rahul Jha | 3 comments Twilight and its other parts are the most low rated books according to me. Thank god i have not read it fully and in all probability i never will still i know it is not worth reading.No hard feeling Steph...

message 39: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (mcrhi) mostly the house of night novels and twilight for me

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan Griscom (susangriscom) I had to go back and check. I haven't given many ratings below three because I usually try to pick books that I think I'm going to enjoy. But there was one and I almost hate to mention it, because I loved all her other books, but The Death Dealer left me cold. No pun intended. :)

message 41: by B. Lynn (new)

B. Lynn Olujare (haliwafa) halo, I pretty much hated that book. EEWWW

message 42: by Kati (new)

Kati (woodkati6) Eragon and Twilight

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura Thomas (laurathomas) | 565 comments My lowest rated book was 8 Graduates From CalTex High...And How There Lives Intertwine with Each Others by Manny Williams . Just gave it 2 stars. The characters never matured, all about sex.

message 44: by Irene (last edited Mar 09, 2012 12:39PM) (new)

Irene (raenne) 1 star:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Interview With the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice
I plan to try out Interview with the vampire again this summer :) I never finished it :P

2 stars:
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer La bicyclette bleue, 1939-1942 (La bicyclette bleue, #1) by Régine Deforges The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold Checkout Girl A Life Behind the Register by Anna Sam By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell

message 45: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureenmatta) | 410 comments Both 1 stars:
Halo (Halo, #1) by Alexandra Adornetto and Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate

Was very disappointed with both books. They both happen to be fallen angel books too. Huh.

message 46: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureenmatta) | 410 comments Weirdone wrote: "halo, I pretty much hated that book. EEWWW"

THANK YOU! Someone understands! Lol me too.

message 47: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui (jacqui-lee) | 37 comments Okay I rarely say anything bad about any book but the Maximum ride series started out good And seemed to get worse with each new book I Never stop a series but after FANG and all of its terribleness I couldn't read anymore!!! The same with the Morganville Vampires started out okay but its just down hill I have however read them all. I am not the type to stop reading even if it sucks sometimes I wish I could

message 48: by Christina (new)

Christina | 18 comments My lowest rated book is Fallen by Lauren Kate.
The rage I feel when I see that book can't be described with words.

It's such a shame that the series has such lovely covers. T_T

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Christina wrote: "My lowest rated book is Fallen by Lauren Kate.
The rage I feel when I see that book can't be described with words.

It's such a shame that the series has such lovely covers. T_T"

Rage, wow! I have to admit that I'm really curious now.

message 50: by Christina (new)

Christina | 18 comments Hahaha, maybe I overreacted a bit,
but I really... don't like that book.
I bought it only because I liked the cover.
And was really disappointed when I read it.
I really don't know how I could finish it,
just kept reading and hoping something would actually happen -__-

« previous 1 3 4 5