New Moon (The Twilight Saga, #2)
This topic is about New Moon
Series > New Moon

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5184 comments Mod
Thoughts?

Angel | 8 comments Loved it! Though I did hate that fact that Edward left Bella. Really shows what love can do to a person. Wonderful book!!

Missy (missy_aurora) Most depressing book ever! I remember reading it while on a plane during spring break sometime at the end of March, didn't finish it until three weeks later because it didn't hold my interest. Starts off really good but then Bella gets depressed.

Anna | 300 comments I liked the blank pages when Bella got depressed but ultimately I did feel she needed a good shake!

message 5: by D.C. (new)

D.C. Belton | 6 comments I don't know, I understand that heart break can be Earth shattering, but at the same time I think the fact that Bella simply gives up on everything once she loses him makes her a rather weak character, and frankly a little insulting to women in my opinion. I feel like in all of the books Bella is little more than the quintessential "damsel in distress", but in "New Moon" it goes beyond her not being able to defend herself. Her being is compromised, the minute she lost Edward she became suicidal, unremarkable and a little annoying because the only thing that makes her remarkable is her love for Edward. My wife and daughters are all intelligent, strong women and I've seen them cope with things I couldn't imagine. I think there's this stereotype that women are emotionally weak, but from my experience women have a strength of heart that propels them through all the inevitable hardship and struggle that comes with being a woman. Whenever I'm writing about female characters, I try to show that side of women. While Bella spending months trying to jump off of cliffs makes for a good make up scene, I wish Stephanie Meyers had instead tried to show a woman's perseverance.

Pamela (pamelaalvarado) It's a good read, but i just can't stand Bella!

I'm working on a story Bella-free, since Edward is still salvageable you can check it out here You Again!

message 7: by Annabel ♥ (new) - added it

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments I heard that this book sucked and was even worse than the second. I only read the first book and don't really have much of a desire to read the second, but...yeah.

message 8: by Helen (new)

Helen I didn't enjoy New Moon, my least favourite of the series. I think it is because Edward is missing for most of it and I didn't like Bella's reaction. Plus the wolves don't hold much interest for me. I can understand how the whole desertion would have affected Bella and I think Stephenie made her depression so all-encompassing to show just how much Bella loved Edward but as soon as he came back I enjoyed the book much better.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

HATE!!!!!!!

message 10: by An (new)

An Angel wrote: "Loved it! Though I did hate that fact that Edward left Bella. Really shows what love can do to a person. Wonderful book!!"

Yes, it was pretty wonderful.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

This book is the worst book in the whole series.

message 12: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Winter | 8 comments It is a beautiful book but it got boring sometimes without Edward! I love how it lets you feel how much Bella loves Edward and I also love the title and cover the flower on the cover is so beautiful:) and the title is supposed to let you know that this is the darkest moment in Bella life so like in a New Moon you can't see the moon so it is dark at night! I also love how Bella is always holding on to her chest , every night I dream about this book it is so beautiful and is the best love story I have ever read!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma wrote: "It is a beautiful book but it got boring sometimes without Edward! I love how it lets you feel how much Bella loves Edward and I also love the title and cover the flower on the cover is so beautifu..."

I agree mostly, but I hate that Edward isn't in it that much.

Sarah | 13 comments “Romeo wouldn’t change his mind. That’s why people still remembered his name, always twined with hers”
― Stephenie Meyer, New Moon

At first, I must say that I am team Jacob, I am forever, totally in love with Jacob. But unlike most team Jacobs, I have respect for Edward. Edward must have truely loved Bella, or else he wouldn't have left. Edward was only ever trying to protect bella from what he was. He thought he was doing what was best for her. Without him, he figured she would lead a normal healthy life.
But anyways Jacob, I think is a way better fit for Bella. She even said it herself:
Here you go. Eclipse, Chapter 26: Ethics, pages 599-600. "He's like a drug for you, Bella." His voice was still gentle, not at all critical. "I see that you can't live without him now. It's too late. But I would have been healthier for you. Not a drug; I would have been the air, the sun." The corner of my mouth turned up in a wistful half-smile. "I used to think of you that way, you know. Like the sun. My personal sun. You balanced out the clouds nicely for me." He sighed. "The clouds I can handle. But I can't fight with an eclipse."

I went back into New Moon, and here is another one. Chapter 6: Friends, page 145: It was Jacob himself. Jacob was simply a perpetually happy person, and he carried that happiness with him like an aura, sharing it with whoever was near him. Like an earthbound sun, whenever someone was within his gravitational pull, Jacob warmed them. It was natural, a part of who he was. No wonder I was so eager to see him.

Jacob just seemed so natural, so beautiful, it felt like Jacob and Bella's love was so pure, and true. I wish that they stuck together. I really do think that Jacob would have been a hundred times better for Bella than Edward is.

I don't want to talk about Jacob imprinting on Renesemee. I don't. I find it depressing and it hurts me to think about it. I think a part of me hates the author that she did that. But I guess she did what she had to do.

Anyway New Moon is probably my favorite out of all the series, (and yes it's probably because there's a lot of Jacob in it) but it takes such unexpected turns and twists in it that I truly adore.

I have so much more to say, but considering how long this post already is and how no ones probably going to read all this anyway, I'll end it here.

Wait... Go team Jacob!!

Okay, I'm done.

Jojobean Was not really into this one. I didn't like how Edward left and Bella went to Jacob to get over him. I also didn't like how Edward was hardly in the book. I found the whole scene in Italy and the Voltouri very interesting though

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 3463 comments This book was my favorite out of the four but that might be because of the fact Edward was hardly in it

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Stormy wrote: "This book was my favorite out of the four but that might be because of the fact Edward was hardly in it"

Yeah mine too and totally agree with you again stormy

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 3463 comments Lol! Edward just REALLY creeps me out. How is anybody watching you while you sleep normal???

message 19: by Veda (new) - added it

Veda (vedareads) | 39 comments D.C. wrote: "I don't know, I understand that heart break can be Earth shattering, but at the same time I think the fact that Bella simply gives up on everything once she loses him makes her a rather weak charac..."
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Krista | 149 comments D.C. wrote: "I don't know, I understand that heart break can be Earth shattering, but at the same time I think the fact that Bella simply gives up on everything once she loses him makes her a rather weak charac..."

I would have to agree. This is my favorite book in the series, but that is just because of Jacob and how much I lOVE his character. Break-up's suck and people react differently but I think Bella's reaction was a little too much for me.

message 21: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Bynum (slbynum) I agree with D.C. too. That's what I don't like about Bella, that she is made to look so weak. I'm not much of a fan of the Twilight series, but New Moon was my favorite book because the relationship Bella has with Jacob is so sweet and much healthier than the one with Edward. I always wanted her to end up with Jacob.

Lynne Stringer | 321 comments I never understand why people think Bella is weak. Is it because she fell apart when Edward left? I think that has more to do with the nature of their relationship (because he fell apart too, by his own admission) and when I think of everything else she did in not only spending time with vampires and trusting them, and werewolves too, and offering herself to save her mother from a vampire she thought was going to kill her, trying to save her vampire family from a gang of ravenous newborns, being determined to carry her child through to delivery even if it killed her and, of course, standing up to the Volturi at the end all seem indications of a strong person. I don't think I'd be able to do any of those things.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Really didn't like it. I didn't like Bella in the first book, and this one just made me detest her.