Around the World discussion

Personal Lists 2011-2013 > Sylvia Christina's bookshelf 2012

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (last edited Dec 30, 2012 02:20PM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) This is the start of my list for 2012. I'll combine this reading challenge with my interest and study of history.

22. Afghanistan Afghanistan: A Short History of Its People and Politics
33. Albania Een noodlottig diner
43. Andorra The Teacher of Cheops
11. America Little Women
37. Angola Het labyrint van Luanda
39. Argentina Nachtvlucht & Aarde der mensen
41. Austria Kleurige stenen: een feestgeschenk
4. Belgium Heldere hemel
5. Bosnia Verhaal van een boek
34. Colombia Honderd jaar eenzaamheid
27. Chechnya Riders of the Pale Horse
30. China Love in a Fallen City
35. Congo Verre Cassé
36. Croatia Museum van onvoorwaardelijke overgaven
9. Cuba The Old Man and the Sea
17. Egypt Egyptian Art
2. England Jane Eyre
23. Estonia Zuivering
32. Fiji-islands Fiji
14. France Het huis waar jij van hield
28. Germany De jongen in de gestreepte pyjama
7. Greece Homer's Iliad
24. Iceland Noorderveen
1. Indonesia Aarde der mensen
19. Ireland Irish Legends
13. Israel De Citroenboom
18. Iran Samarkand
8. Italy Secretum
12. Japan Sadako wil leven
46. Kenya What Is the What
29. Nepal The Snow Leopard
10. Netherlands Bontje: het katje van de molenaar
38. New-Zealand De golvendanser
21. North-Korea Hand in hand in het donker
40. Norway Geschiedenis van het Geslacht Bjørndal part 1 Og bakom synger skogene - En eeuwig zingen de bossen
45. Palestine Fast Times in Palestine
25. Poland Is dit een mens finished
20. Russia Lenin & Stalin
42. Scotland Island on the Edge of the World: the story of St Kilda
3. Spain De Pelgrimstocht naar Santiago: Dagboek van een Magiër
44. Sudan/Darfur Tranen van de woestijn
26. Sweden Niels Holgerssons wonderbare reis
16. Switzerland Heidi
6. Turkey De Brug
15. Ukraine Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin
31. Yemen Nog eenmaal mijn moeder zien

message 2: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) Thanks Judy. I hope to read more than the 10 books I'm starting with.

message 3: by Sylvia (last edited Mar 15, 2012 02:21PM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I have made a change in stead of reading Pompeii for Italy I'm reading Secretum by Rita Monaldi and Francesco Sorti.
I have met the authors last year during a book signing session. They were nice and kind to their fans. I had bought Veritas the next in the series of seven books about abt Melani and they wrote they welcomed me as one of their fans.

message 4: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I recently finished Charlotte Brontë's well known novel
Jane Eyre which plays in England. Because I love the story so much I'm going to add this in my challenge list, although I read it more than once.
My review of the book is ready

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) Found historical novel about the Fiji-islands. As I have not many books outside Europa on my list I've added Fiji to my challenge list. The reviews of some readers made me curious.

message 6: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I'm going to increase my challenge to 15. I've 14 books now on my list.

message 7: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) 15 books on my list!!!

In the Netherlands every March during ten days it's Book Promotion Week. It's going on for already 60 years. They want to promote reading of Dutch books (translations included).
There's always a theme connected with those ten days. For 2012 it is "Friendship and other inconveniences". A lot of books are promoted which have something to do with the thema.
When you buy books up to a certain amount, you get a small - especially written for this week - book for free.

I always buy books during the Book Promotion Week and today I've got Heldere hemel It's a story situated in Belgium, so I added it to my challenge 2012 list.

message 9: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I've added two other books which were recommended to me on GR.
Island on the Edge of the World: the story of St Kilda and The Snow Leopard.
I changed my entry for Sweden for Niels Holgerssons wonderbare reis

message 10: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I picked a quick one from my list: Het huis waar jij van hield. I started this morning when having coffee. In the beginning the book looked odd to me, but I finished it in the evening.

message 11: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I'm going to put Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin on my to re-read list, because it's hard to capture all facts after the first reading.

message 12: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) Updated my list: added Switzerland with Heidi.

message 13: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) Found Irish Legends on my bookshelf. Bought during a roundtrip in Ireland. This is a good one to add to my challenge list for Ireland. I love myths and legends from all over the globe.

message 14: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I have increased my number of books to 52. I found 32 books so far I want to read for this challenge. I'm sure I will find the remaining 20 the coming months.

message 15: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) Added a possible visit to Afghanistan with Afghanistan: A Short History of Its People and Politics

message 16: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I've added several titles in Dutch; like Noorderveen and I amended my list and only mention the Dutch version of the books I've read.

message 17: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) Changed my entry for Germany in The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas. When shopping yesterday I saw this book in Dutch for a very cheap price.

message 18: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) Finished during the Readathon The Snow Leopard and added for Yemen Nog eenmaal mijn moeder zien the Dutch translation of Sold

message 19: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I've to finished Love in a Fallen City for China as I have return the book to the library within a couple of days.

message 20: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) I've finished two books one for Albania #33 Een noodlottig diner and for Fiji #32 Fiji: A Novel

message 21: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) #34 Honderd jaar eenzaamheid for Colombia. This is an absolute must-read and re-read.

message 22: by Sylvia (last edited Aug 27, 2012 11:48PM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) #35 Verre Cassé
#36 Museum van onvoorwaardelijke overgaven
#37 Het labyrint van Luanda for Angola. Wonderful read. I'm considering to order my own copy of it.

message 23: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) #38 De golvendanser for New-Zealand
#39 Nachtvlucht & Aarde der mensen for Argentina. The last book contains another story, which I will read later, and won't count for this challenge.

message 24: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) #40 De geschiedenis van het geslacht Bjørndal; een verhaal uit de jaren omstreeks 1760 tot 1810for Norway. A wonderful story about a family of farmers in the rough woods and highlands of 18th century Norway.

message 25: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Sylvia, you're moving right along!

message 26: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) Mikki wrote: "Sylvia, you're moving right along!"

Yes, but it's getting more and more difficult, because the books I want to read I have borrow at my lib and I have to order them and wait several weeks before they arrive. So, I'm not sure if I will reach 52 books this year.

message 27: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments I'm having similar problems Sylvia. A lot of the books I'd like to read are only available used and I have to wait a long time. You can always continue next year, a lot of us are planning on that.

message 29: by Barbarac (new)

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments I love the map Sylvia! I wish I had thought of something like that. Maybe I should do it for 2013.

message 30: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) Barbarac wrote: "I love the map Sylvia! I wish I had thought of something like that. Maybe I should do it for 2013."

I saw some one using it on GR and I like it. I keep the tab on my browser, because I'm not sure if I have to enter all the countries again. I will probably export it to the 2013 challenge, although I'm not yet sure.

message 31: by Sylvia (last edited Nov 24, 2012 11:06AM) (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) #43 The Teacher of Cheopsgood story about a slave who teaches himself to read and write and becomes an important teacher of farao Cheops. This counts for Andorra, because that's the author's home country.

#44 Tranen van de woestijn This was recommended to me by Chrissie. Thanks, Chrissie, it was a heinous read.

message 32: by Sylvia (new)

message 33: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) #46 What Is the What finished. This book concludes my challenge in 52 books for 2012

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan | 83 comments Congrats!!!!

message 35: by WanderShopper (new)

WanderShopper | 73 comments I really like your idea of using a map. It is so visually satifying. Think I'll add it to mine once I am up and going for 2013.