Reading the Bible discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Darling | 102 comments Mod
I am reading Acts this week. I am struck by how forcefully Luke makes the insertion of the Gospel into the world of the Gentiles a major theme. It's as if he is trying to create a history of God's people similar to Exodus, with Paul being like Moses. That's a stretch, I know, but it occurs to me that the Gentiles lacked a unified spiritual history such as the Jews had already.

message 2: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Darling | 102 comments Mod
so, I finished Acts today. I am struck with how vehemently the whole idea of Gentile receptivity to the gospel is emphasized. It's as if Luke is trying to justify and validate Paul's ministry.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben | 16 comments Indeed Timothy, Paul's ministry is so validated through the book of Acts. I'm impressed you read it all in a week - it's so long! I have been reading a chapter daily since around July, and I am starting to get a feel for the book, and its dynamics. It's where Life began for the church, but I love the way that the Jews are so much in that Life as well.

message 4: by Ben (last edited Nov 02, 2012 05:17AM) (new)

Ben | 16 comments Sorry, didn't say what I read today. Acts 24, verse 25, "As paul talked about righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said 'That's enough for now. You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you.' How many of us do not find it convenient enough to follow Christ?