Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Marcy's Jan and February reads

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I have a lost month here, spent battling a nasty "atypical" bacterial pneumonia, but thankfully, my lungs and I are back where we should be. All was not lost since I had some great books to keep me company.

Ghost Hero by S.J. Rozan - I always enjoy time spent with Lydia and Bill and liked the introduction of newcomer, Jack. For me, the story-lines in this series have become less compelling, but I continue to love the characters and the writing.

Motion to Kill by Joel Goldman - Lou Mason, a partner in a top-notch Kansas City law firm, uncovers deadly secrets when the body of one of the firm's other partners washes ashore dead. For me, this was just an okay read. I put it down often, but did eventually see it through.

The Drop by Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch, who has been given 3 more years before he must retire, gets 2 new cases to solve concurrently, One is an old cold case; the other involves the death of the son of his longtime nemesis, Irvin Irving. In this go round, Harry seems more determined and irascible than ever and as always, forges ahead with little regard for political correctness or caring about alienating others. I would hate to work with Harry, but love reading about him! The good story, great writing and Bosch character will always keep me coming back for more.

Ballistic by Paul Levine - Home-grown, fundamentalist driven terrorists take over a nuclear facility and an unlikely hero tries to save the day. This military/action adventure is quite different from Mr. Levine's legal thrillers. As much as I enjoy two of his other series, Jake Lassiter and Solomon and Lord, this book was just too over the top and silly for me. This book was offered as a kindle freebie and though it wasn't for me, I thank the author for his generosity.

11/22/63 (audio) by Stephen King - 11/22/63 was the date JFK was assassinated, but what if there could be a do-over? Jake Epping, a Maine high school teacher has just such a chance. I loved this book for its rich portrayal of a simpler time. The characters come alive in this thought provoking and beautifully written story, one that I'll remember for a long time to come. I think this is my favorite Stephen King book!

Taken by Robert Crais - Elvis Cole is hired to find a missing girl and soon discovers that she has been taken by border kidnappers who sell ransom and steal victims. Soon, Joe Pike has to join the rescue. I always enjoy Crais' novels, especially when Elvis and Joe are both featured. Very suspenseful with an interesting plot, Taken was a highlight read for the month.

Awakening by S.J. Bolton - Clara Benning, disfigured by a childhood accident, has settled into a reclusive life as a veterinarian in a small English village. Suddenly there is an alarming increase in attacks by lethal, non-native snakes in the village and Clara starts looking for answers. She is a very strong, complicated female protagonist who unfortunately has many "too stupid to live" moments. I found this book to be creepy and disturbing with lots of suspense and backed up by what appears to me to be solid research about snakes. The plot was a bit off-the-wall. All in all, it was a good, not great read.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Glad you're feeling better! 11/22/63 definitely gives THE STAND a run for its money with me! And it doesn't get much better than an Elvis Cole book!

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Nice variety, Marcy, but don't tell Barry about another nuclear facility trakeover. His blood pressure goes up. (Glad to hear you're feeling better).

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments I've already read Ballistic. I believe I had some criticism on that too.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Missed you Marcy...glad you are feeling better ;) I can't wait to read Taken!

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments glad you're feeling better, marcy! this has been on tough winter with regard to colds ,etc.

message 7: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Thanks for all the "glad you're better" notes. This has been a tough winter for many.

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1199 comments It is good to see you back Marcy. I finally get to pick up Taken at the library tomorrow.

message 9: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Thanks, Sandi. Enjoy Taken!

message 10: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Marcy wrote: "I have a lost month here, spent battling a nasty "atypical" bacterial pneumonia, but thankfully, my lungs and I are back where we should be. All was not lost since I had some great books to keep m..."

Marcy, you had some good reads!! Take care and get better.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments I am so glad to hear you are better and hate to hear you were sick, Marcy! The silver lining of time to read some good books is a plus, so glad you were able to do that!
I have got to get to The Drop soon!

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Marcy, sorry you were downed by illness but as you say the up side was getting to read a little more. Glad you're back.