UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

The Blue Suitcase
This topic is about The Blue Suitcase
Book Recommendations > The Blue Suitcase by Marianne Wheelaghan

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I should have posted this recommendation weeks ago when I first read the book - I view this as one of the best things I have read on my kindle. Here is the review that I wrote at the time.

"I've just finished reading The Blue Suitcase which I can highly recommend to anyone interested in the history of Germany during the rise of the nazis and world war 2. Although this is termed a novel, it is based on the life story of the author's mother. I hadn't realised before how terrible life was for the ordinary german during that time. We all know how dreadfully the Jews were treated as well as other groups - but I hadn't before realised how difficult things were for people in general, how badly so many fared under Hitler. The events that they suffered under the russians and some of the poles were truly awful. This book is not written in a mawkish or sentimental manner but is written in the form of a diary - starting when the central character is a young girl of 12. It's interesting to watch her personality change from selfishness to selflessness as the years progress. I found the book so gripping that I read it in 24 hours."

:0)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments I bought this some time ago,I really must get round to reading it.Thanks for reminding me Karen.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It really was a gripping read, I'm sure you'll enjoy it Sarah.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I recall you mentioning it ages ago, Karen. I really want to read it.

When's our cruise then?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Patti (Mango Mad) wrote: "I recall you mentioning it ages ago, Karen. I really want to read it.

When's our cruise then?"

As soon as we've earned enough from the group's store sales commission to afford the passage - 10 years time then?

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments 10 yrs? My TBR pile will be ridiculous by then :-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments My TBR is ridiculous now.

message 8: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Wheelaghan (httpwwwgoodreadscomMarianneW) | 106 comments Hi Kay
I only just noticed this forum. I want to thank you again for recommending The Blue Suitcase.I really appreciate your support. It's so good of you to make the effort to share your enthusiasm for it. Thanks again :O)
ps was doing a book event in Crawley over weekend. Still a few miles away from Portsmouth but if I ever do an event there - and who knows as I never thought I'd be in Crawley - I'll let you know in case you'd be interested.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Marianne wrote: "Hi Kay
I only just noticed this forum. I want to thank you again for recommending The Blue Suitcase.I really appreciate your support. It's so good of you to make the effort to share your enthusias..."

Hi - you're welcome as I really did enjoy the book!

Although I was born and spent most of my life in Portsmouth, I now live in Cornwall. So if you ever do a book event in Cornwall let me know and I'll try to get there. Still let me know if you do do an event in Portsmouth though as most of my family and friends still live there so I will make sure I let them know about you!

message 10: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Wheelaghan (httpwwwgoodreadscomMarianneW) | 106 comments Will do - definitely!
:)

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments ooo that looks like my kind of book for sure :) and i live 3 miles up the A3M from Portsmouth...
2 good reasons to download it - which i will do when i get my voucher code (i have just topped up my Kindle account)