Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's Feb. Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Escape from Andersonville, a novel of the Civil War (Fiction)
by Gene Hackman and Daniel Lenihan (yes, Gene Hackman, the actor, now writes books, this is his 3rd one)
A good read with lots of action.

Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain (NF)
The best read of the month. A terrific buy for 25 cents at a used book sale. Like many, I had read his fiction works, but have discovered over the last few years his non fiction. What an interesting person.

Hell's Kitchen by Jeffery Deaver, writing as William Jefferies (Mystery)
an early work by Deaver.
An okay read, he does get better thru the years.

Radio Activity by Bill Fitzhugh(Mystery)
Another humorous, sarcastic cozy. Not the best, but a break from the very serious mystery.

The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy(Fiction)
A very long book, 498 pages in PB, with very small print.
Story of cadets at a southern military school with a secret group that determines which ones continue at the school to graduation, using torture.
This book had highs and lows, it would be interesting and then seem to drag,then become interesting again.
The last 150 pages were really good, but I feel this book could have used some editing.

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I also loved Life on the Mississippi - Twain had such a way with words! I agree that Conroy's works are somewhat over wordy, but I love his characters. I don't think I would attempt 498 pages in small paperback print. My eyes would stage a rebellion!!

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments The movie based on The Lords of Discipline was good. Saw it years ago!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Lorraine: I really think I would like Life on the Mississippi, you always read a great variety of books!