Creative Reviews discussion

?'s for the Members of CR > Censorship by the Booksellers, Too!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Mar 02, 2012 04:10AM) (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments I'm not following the thread Georgina started on censorship by financial institutions (which I have to presume is related to the recent PayPal announcement and "edict" to Mark Coker of Smashwords* to restrict the types of books he allows to be distributed through his network). I wanted to admit that up front. I just don't have time to follow everything everywhere.

I'm just stopping by because I saw a tweet from Publishers Weekly linking to this interesting and timely article on how Apple, Amazon and B&N are effectively censoring books also. By restricting titles on their own devices to NOT include titles that are also listed on other devices, they have basically censored the choices their own audience can see.

Sites like Smashwords, which offer ALL formats for ALL users in ALL parts of the world (SW will charge VAT but they DO allow sales to anywhere in the world) become so much more relevant when you read things like this.

http://www.devicemag.com/2012/03/02/e-book-landscape-turning-oligopolistic-bleak-future-for-easy-reading/

* Note that Mark Coker is meeting with the EFF to discuss how to proceed from this point forward. Mark is the founder of Smashwords and still the final word on what Smashwords will or won't do. The EFF is and has been a guiding force--outside the laws of any one country--since the 1980s. I've been a member since the 90s when I was involved in web development (the development of the web not the making of web sites, though I did the latter also, I was involved with the Web3D initiative which sadly failed but spawned HALO, Kinect and other awesome games these days so not too much of a failure 20 yrs later ;-))

-sry

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Sarah for posting this. I've subscribed to the EFF newsletter. I'll join when I manage to scrounge together the money. I've noticed that payment is through a credit card--Paypal not offered. :)

Don't blame you for not following the other thread. I chucked a wobbly there yesterday and stormed off to sit with my chooks. Probably scared everyone away.

Let's hope that Mark Coker and the EFF work this out.

Georgina.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Georgina wrote: "Thanks Sarah for posting this. I've subscribed to the EFF newsletter. I'll join when I manage to scrounge together the money. I've noticed that payment is through a credit card--Paypal not offered...."

you didn't scare me away, but I was feeling sorry for you! ;-) And don't unfollow Kris only because she upset you with one of her blunt-as-usual posts... :-D
Barb

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbara wrote: "Georgina wrote: "Thanks Sarah for posting this. I've subscribed to the EFF newsletter. I'll join when I manage to scrounge together the money. I've noticed that payment is through a credit card--Pa..."

Thanks Barb! I was feeling very sad about it. I just love the new found freedom of being an indie writer. I'd hate to see that freedom disappear. I didn't weigh into the debate about amazon or KDP Select, because quite frankly I love all the sites that will have me! But this issue saddens me. But it's my birthday today, so I'm going to shake it off and try to be positive.

:):) Georgina.

message 5: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Haha wow didn't notice a fight... things are getting so screwy with censoring and writing

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Ottilie wrote: "Haha wow didn't notice a fight... things are getting so screwy with censoring and writing"

Not a fight, just me going off in a huff because the issue got me so upset. Although I did check to see I could still see Barb's smiling face on my friend list this morning :) Was relieved to do so.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Is the aforementioned "Kris" by any chance the Kristine Rusch of the Rusch Report? She can really annoy me sometimes but she's worth reading for the gems that balance out the annoyances. She and her husband DWS are both really opinionated--which is why I like them so much!! ^_^

I've got a Tuesday Tips blog drafted and holding the place for an update on Tuesday about whatever Mark Coker reports came out of today's meeting with the EFF. I don't see anything on the SW blog or the SW Facebook Page and know Mark might take the weekend to mull/absorb before anything gets posted anywhere. I'm sure we'll all hear about it when he does, though :) It's kind of hard to keep secrets these days huh? (LOL)

-sry

message 8: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments ah okay Georgina

All these changes are making my head spin

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah, Et Al the cat fight between Apple, Amazon and B & N is not censorship based on content which I vehemently oppose, but on the basis of sales channel which, while I think is stupid and short sighted, is not as reprehensible as it at first seems.

Pepsi and Coke have been in similar cat fights for years. When Pepsi bought a bunch of restaurants with Coca Cola contracts and tried to void the contracts, the two giants duked it out in court. This is the same sort of thinking that has plagued businesses from time immemorial.

Unfortunately, we get caught in the middle. Indies and small published authors are hurt the worst as the biggies jockey for market dominance. Even B & N seems to be suffering from the zealots in Apple's fan base and the much larger, if somewhat less evangelical, Amazon clientele.

We still get hurt, but the motives are not the same. We are not looking at Joe McCarthy. We are looking at Henry Ford.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Robert I LIKE your analogies ;-)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Robert wrote: "Sarah, Et Al the cat fight between Apple, Amazon and B & N is not censorship based on content which I vehemently oppose, but on the basis of sales channel which, while I think is stupid and short s..."

Yes, it sums it up well. It's money making business. Everything I find, comes back to the big financiers and their jockeying for position in the new arena.

But the link between paypal's threatened withdrawal now and their history in terms of Wikileaks is interesting. So too Murdoch's anger at Wikileaks and that sudden stance from paypal in 2010. And news corp owns one of the big six. Four of the other five are under probe by the EU for their part on the Apple ebook farce.

Money talks.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "Is the aforementioned "Kris" by any chance the Kristine Rusch of the Rusch Report? She can really annoy me sometimes but she's worth reading for the gems that balance out the annoyances. She and he..."

Yes, Sarah, I had posted a link to Kris's latest post on the subject, and Georgina got mad at her! ;-)
I live in a country where we have a minister of finances that is a banker, and he's forcing everybody to open a bank account by making laws that forbid cash payments... we're losing the middle class and heading towards the US 1% being richer than the rest of the 99%...
I don't think we have that much choice in chosing our business partners like Kris suggests, and I refuse to switch off the internet and lock myself in my cave - internet is both freedom and censorship, but without it I'd never reach my readers, so if I have to put up with a few glitches here and there, what choice do I have? None.
Some stories I wrie them only for myself anyway! ;-)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbara wrote: "Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "Is the aforementioned "Kris" by any chance the Kristine Rusch of the Rusch Report? She can really annoy me sometimes but she's worth reading for the gems that b..."

I did get mad at her :(

But I can't turn my back on paypal either. We have no other option. I'm posting a final blog about it now, then it's back to my world of witches, imps and magic. This real world is a bit of a bummer sometimes :)

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) SOMETIMES? :D

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbara wrote: "SOMETIMES? :D"

:):)

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments I'm finding that by getting own personal priorities right I can cope with a lot more - then again, the older i get the less I care (wink)

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "I'm finding that by getting own personal priorities right I can cope with a lot more - then again, the older i get the less I care (wink)"

I second that! :)

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Just got the email from Mark Coker with links to the results of his discussions--and a call to arms, so to speak. He provided a great set of links to all the major credit card companies and an inspired speech to get everyone fired up.

He also noted something unusual. This Sunday, in conjunction with his email to the 50,000 or so Smashwords registered users announcing Read an Ebook Week March 4-10, 2012 he plans to include a briefing on the PayPal censorship situation and a call to arms to the readers, as well.

If you haven't yet gotten your copy of the Smashwords email with all of its useful links included, be sure it wasn't filtered into your spam folder ;-)

-sry

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah, the Webbiegrrl Writer wrote: "Just got the email from Mark Coker with links to the results of his discussions--and a call to arms, so to speak. He provided a great set of links to all the major credit card companies and an insp..."

I posted the email content in the other censorship thread, oh and in a comment at the end of my GR blog.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Email from the Smashwords Forum.

"PayPal and credit card companies want to censor what you write and what you read.

Smashwords Forum post: http://z15.invisionfree.com/smashwords_f...

Will you take a moment to urge your friends to speak out as well? It’s as easy as posting this message on your social networking sites:

Twitter: Tell @PayPal: don't censor what we can read. https://eff.org/r.1Uy via @eff @ncacensorship & @freadom

Other social networks: Tell PayPal: don't censor what we can read. https://eff.org/r.1Uy

Thanks,
Ted "