Men's Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Archives > Savage Season

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy | 134 comments Buddy's choice is this month's book.

message 2: by Terry (last edited Mar 26, 2012 06:05AM) (new)

Terry Parker (parker19713) | 8 comments Pretty good read - about 3/4 of the way through. Down-homey kinda dialogue, puts you in the world of the characters. Not much "edge of the seat", "can't put it down" suspense - but it is rolling along with no slow spots. I'm liking it.
- Finished now... I agree, Trudy was truly hateful. suspense definitely picked up and really made for an exciting finish to the book.

message 3: by John (new)

John (johniwilliams) | 8 comments Liked the book liked the two main characters really didn't like the ex and her
cohorts. That hole relationship between him and his ex made my skin crawl. Just wanted to slap the hell out of him.
Good pick thanks... John

message 4: by Andy (last edited Mar 24, 2012 01:39AM) (new)

Andy | 134 comments Great read, Buddy. Leonard and Hap are such an original team... I'm sure Savage Season would make a neat film. I loved the way they sarcastically riffed off eachother - even in the tightest of situations. Trudy's character was interesting as well... pity she doesn't make it. I think the book would be a good choice for my local reading group. I wonder how they would view the female protagonist?

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy | 134 comments If you enjoyed Savage Season and you've got a Kindle check out Joe R Lansdale's short stories. I've just got three for free...

message 6: by Buddy (new)

Buddy | 5 comments I was going to say, there are a BUNCH of free Joe Lansdale books at Amazon for the Kindle.

Leonard and Hap are quite a couple of characters. If you liked Savage Season, I would recommend checking out the whole series. Book #2 is "Mucho Mojo" and it is BETTER than Savage Season. I gave the book to my wife to read (she's a chick lit fan) and she loved it!

So glad I could share this series with you guys.

If anybody has any recommendations for me, please MSG me and let me know. I would like to find some "must read" books. I would really appreciate it.

If you want me to pick a book for next month, I would recommend "City of Thieves, by David Benioff" Definitely a guy book, but gals love it too! Was one of the most liked books of my hometown bookclub in 2011.

Cheers!

message 7: by Lefty (new)

Lefty (iudiekarie) | 26 comments Andy wrote: "Buddy's choice is this month's book."

It was a good read, I felt. Lansdale did a nearly perfect job of insinuating a sense of discomfort into almost every scene. Whether it's from the cold, or the cracked linoleum on the floor, you always get this sense of unease--there isn't much that is of comfort to anyone in the book, and that comes through to the reader, too, because I almost physically felt a strange sense of unease while reading, like I couldn't get comfortable, either. That was pretty well done. I can't say I would have come across this book alone, so I'm glad the group decided to read it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.