The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 20.4. Author!Author!: Skandia's Task - To be continued .... in Spring!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 02, 2012 10:04AM) (new)

Sandy | 15897 comments Mod
20.4. Author!Author!: Skandia's Task - To be continued .... in Spring!

I love series and lately it seems a lot of the books I read seems to be a part of some kind of trilogy or series.

For this task choose ONE book that is the next book in a series from which you read and claimed points for any task during the Winter Challenge 2011 -2012.

For example I read Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series #3 ) for Winter Challenge task 30.5, so now I will read the next book in the series: Four to Score by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series #4).

If you didn't take part of the Winter Challenge or didn't read any books in a series during the Winter Challenge, you are free to start a new series with its first book.

A book must be identified as part of series by Goodreads (Series Name, #). A series will be defined as at least 2 published books with the same series name by Goodreads.

Required: Include the name of the book and series that you read during the Winter Challenge when you post.

message 2: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Reserved

message 3: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Reserved

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Can I use Insurgent for this? It's the second in the series and isn't coming out until May 1, but I read the first book during the winter challenge.

message 5: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) | 54 comments Do I understand that, if we didn't participate in the winter challenge, we can ONLY read a book for this challenge that's the *first* in a series, as opposed to the next in a series that we're already reading?

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7591 comments ugh, got to find a series that I didn't continue while I was waiting for this one to start...lol!

message 7: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Can I use Insurgent for this? It's the second in the series and isn't coming out until May 1, but I read the first book during the winter challenge."

Yes you can, after it's been officially published

message 8: by Skandia (last edited Mar 02, 2012 09:44PM) (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Lavinia wrote: "Do I understand that, if we didn't participate in the winter challenge, we can ONLY read a book for this challenge that's the *first* in a series, as opposed to the next in a series that we're alre..."

You understood correctly, you must start with the first book in any series

message 9: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Hi Skandia,

I have a question. I read Obsidian for the Winter season and it was the first in the series then. The next one has come out since then but it is labeled as .5 in the series even though it came out after the first one- Shadows.

Can I use it? It is the next one to come out in the series, but the author has decided to make it a prequel.

message 10: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Fran wrote: "Hi Skandia,

I have a question. I read Obsidian for the Winter season and it was the first in the series then. The next one has come out since then but it is labeled as .5 in the ..."

In this case I can make an exception, so yes, you can use it.

message 11: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Thanks Skandia!

message 12: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I want to check if I can use: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar? I read The Girl in the Steel Corset for last season and the Clockwork Collar isn't released until the end of May...however I got a review copy that will be the same as the full book. Would I be able to read it?

message 13: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I want to check if I can use: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar? I read The Girl in the Steel Corset for last season and the Clockwork Collar isn't released until the..."

I think it's ok, because the publishing date is during the Spring Challenge anyway

message 14: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments If I read a prequel book in the winter challenge can I read the first book in the series for this book?

message 15: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Keltie Lee wrote: "If I read a prequel book in the winter challenge can I read the first book in the series for this book?"

Yes, you can, if the prequel is identified as part of series by Goodreads (Series Name, # )

message 16: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments It is, thanks :)

message 17: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Hi. This is a very specific question... I started the Winter Challenge but had to stop due to health issues. I kept reading my books (not much else to do whilst in bed all day) but didn't post (all the math made my head hurt). I read Feed by Mira Grant (I can show you my reading list that I had prepared at the beginning of the challenge if you'd like). Would you approve me reading the next book in her series (Deadline) for this task, or should I just start a new series? Sorry for the snowflaky details but stopping the challenge midway, not to mention unexpected illness, has thrown my life into a bit of a spin. Thanks.

message 18: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Stesse wrote: "Hi. This is a very specific question... I started the Winter Challenge but had to stop due to health issues. I kept reading my books (not much else to do whilst in bed all day) but didn't post (all..."

Very sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you are feeling much better now.

For the task, sry, I just have to go with the task description : For this task choose ONE book that is the next book in a series from which you read and claimed points for any task during the Winter Challenge 2011 -2012.

I hope you find a book from new-to-you series to read for this task.

message 19: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Skandia wrote: "Stesse wrote: "Hi. This is a very specific question... I started the Winter Challenge but had to stop due to health issues. I kept reading my books (not much else to do whilst in bed all day) but d..."

Totally understand. But - and this just goes to show that my brain is on hiatus - apparently I did post it during the Winter Challenge and didn't remember. So... looks like it will work (phew!).

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 43 comments I participated in the winter challenge and read some books that were in series. The problem is they were either the last book in the series or the next book will not be out until after this challenge. What should I do?

message 21: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Jennifer FL wrote: "I participated in the winter challenge and read some books that were in series. The problem is they were either the last book in the series or the next book will not be out until after this challen..."

You may read a book that starts a new for you series.