Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > March 2012 Group Read: The Midwich Cuckoos *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments So after much voting The Midwich Cuckoos won. I will be tackling this book soon. Has anyone started it yet?

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I may put the book aside I'm reading now and start MC.

message 3: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I was interested in reading it for quite a while. I'll make it my next read and will join the group discussion.

message 4: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I'm planning to join in, too. His The Day of the Triffids was enjoyable. I have to get through A Game of Thrones and The Piano Teacher first. Or maybe I'll read this book after Thrones. The Piano Teacher seems like it might be a slower read because it has that Nobel thingy attached to it. That way, while I'm reading The Piano Teacher, I can gab about Midwich. Besides, hardly anybody has a discussion in the Nobel forum. People must not like good, thought-provoking books. I only join to make it look like I'm well-read. LOL.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Poser!

message 6: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I am such a snob that I only read books that win numerous prizes, and then boast about it on HA.

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Then explain Koontz and King.

message 8: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I have to keep an appearance. My snobbishness only surfaces occasionally, like every five minutes or so.

message 9: by Simon (last edited Mar 02, 2012 06:55AM) (new)

Simon (friedegg) I really liked this book when I read it a few years ago but I'm not really wanting to re-read it right now, although this thread has put me in mind of reading something else by him I haven't read.

message 10: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments He has to read Koontz and King. He held them hostage in his basement to write books for him, so he has a reason to write reviews. He recently acquired Straub, too.

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Aloha wrote: "He has to read Koontz and King. He held them hostage in his basement to write books for him, so he has a reason to write reviews. He recently acquired Straub, too."

This explains a lot about King's books.

message 12: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Hey, I like long books about nothing in particular. Someone has to produce them, eh?

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I guess. But we don't have to read them. Oh, I don't.

message 14: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments You read them anyway. There was a big shipment of bricks and books to Alabama.

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments "Leave the books. Take the bricks." ~ memorable quote from The Godfather.

message 16: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Maciek has to do something about his brick excretions. Poland was starting to make its own Berlin Wall.

message 17: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I was once in China and left them a wall, too.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments LOL.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Oh cool now to dig it out of the boxes since I just moved recently.

message 20: by Alley (new)

Alley (alleycatfish) | 35 comments I'll start once it comes in at the library. Looking forward to it. It should provide a nice break from all the paranormal romance/urban fantasy I'll be reading this month.

message 21: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) I might skip this one, I've seen Village of the Damned and wouldn't be willing to pay 10 cents for it, so I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $6.15(kindle price) for the book it's based on. Yeah, I am stingy.

message 22: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I saw Village of the Damned when it was first released but can't remember a thing about it. I'm hoping the book will be more memorable.

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 82 comments Yeah I hated this book, I read it last summer and it was such a let down. It was really boring actually.

message 24: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Ok...I read this and it was enjoyable. Was it the best thing I read recently...no. I probably wouldn't have liked it half as much if it hadn't been a audio book. The narrator was British and I can listen to that accent all day.

I did wonder if the story would work today? Would women today act the same way as in the story. In todays world I can see this story written with a whole different outcome.

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Haven't started it yet.

message 26: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I'm 3/4 in. Don't have an opinion yet. It's very leisurely paced, with the typical English phlegm.

message 27: by Ron (new)

Ron Did anyone know that a first edition copy of The Day of The Triffids sold on Abebooks.com last month for $14,000 plus. I wonder how much The Midwich Cuckoos is worth.

message 28: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Haven't started it yet.

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm sort of not jumping for joy about reading this book, and I think I voted for it.

message 30: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I started reading this and Battle Royale simultaneously. Almost done with Battle Royale (awesome book) but MC just isn't grabbing me for some reason. I'm only a few pages in but already excessively disinterested.

Anyone wanna convince me to persevere with MC?

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Finish it or you're banned.

message 32: by Lisa (last edited Mar 11, 2012 04:29PM) (new)

Lisa Kilbride (lisajen) | 841 comments I'm 92 pages into it, and it's getting a little better as it goes along. I tried to find the edition I'm reading to record my progress in the status updates, but it's not in Goodreads. The ISBN # is 3 7244 0196 3806 4, and it's 247 pages long.

message 33: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I'm downloading the John Carpenter movie and the 1960 version. Watching 2 movies should equal reading 1 book. Plus, I think one has subtitles so technically I will be reading it.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul | 123 comments I read it many years ago, and I'll dig round for the old, old copy I have somewhere to read again. I enjoy Wyndham's books, but one has to remember that most of them were written in the England of the 50's. Yes, he does like to stand society on its head in his apocalyptic novels, but even that is done in a mannered fashion. He'd probably be writing splatterpunk today.

message 35: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The book has a somewhat boring beginning with the military trying to figure out what happened. Or maybe it's just the way Wyndham writes.

message 36: by Simon (last edited Mar 12, 2012 05:29AM) (new)

Simon (friedegg) I really loved this book and I recommend all those waverers to persevere because it is such a great story and quite well written, although in a somewhat antiquated middle class britishness of a bygone era.

And I think to some extent one must consider the time in which it was written and that it's message was far more shocking that it is today.

So while some may hold these things against it, for me it was an immensely pleasurable read.

From my review:

"As I read this book, it began to strike me how Wyndham's world view contrasted with that of Tolkien's. Whereas Tolkien harked back to a pre-industrial time of innocence wishing we might get back closer to nature, Wyndham reminds us that we only invented civilisation as a way of distancing ourselves from the harshness and brutality of nature. There is nothing cosy and secure about mother nature.

Wyndham also tells us that tolerance of difference is a luxury of those who are secure in themselves. We don't feel so inclined to live and let live when we feel threatened. "

message 37: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm going to see it through. I know there's a good story there.

message 38: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 28 comments Unfortunately this was a HUGE disappointment for me. Even though it's such an awesome premise, I thought Wyndham flubbed the execution and made it dull as dishwater ... I was bored! Too many rambling passages and preponderances that detract from the action and do nothing for character development. But, where the book fails, I think the 1960 film succeeds.

I think Wyndham is a great storyteller -- I loved both The Chrysalids and The Day of the Triffids. His talents just don't show up here.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kilbride (lisajen) | 841 comments After I got over the apparently whimsical tone of the beginning, I began to enjoy it more. Now, 140 pages in, I'm glad to be reading it. I'm particularly enjoying the conversations between the characters.

message 40: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments Just got my copy today.

message 41: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Tressa wrote: "The book has a somewhat boring beginning with the military trying to figure out what happened. Or maybe it's just the way Wyndham writes."

I felt the same way.

message 42: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Read some this morning when I had insomnia. It's getting better because two women just found out they were pregnant. Question: Do ALL women get pregnant?

message 43: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Yes, all women get pregnant.

message 44: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Yes, even the ones that aren't married.

message 45: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments That's the way biology goes.

message 46: by Eileen (new)

Eileen That's what I hear.

message 47: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I read it in a book.

message 48: by Eileen (new)

Eileen A picture book?

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kilbride (lisajen) | 841 comments Yes, they all, even the virgins, even one of the lesbians in the lesbian couple, come up pregnant.

message 50: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Yes, one with lots of pictures and analytical illustrations.

« previous 1