Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's February 2012 Reads

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments 16 for the month, though one really doesn't count as it was another short story I read on my computer Kindle app.

If Fried Chicken Could Fly by Paige Shelton If Fried Chicken Could Fly by Paige Shelton: 1st in Country Cooking School series and an enjoyable read. This author has another series that I don't like at all, but this one surprised me. The main character and her grandmother run a cooking school in a small Missouri town. And they both can see ghosts! When a body is found in the school's storeroom and Grandma is the main suspect a ghost from the town's past helps solve the mystery. Grade: 8.5

Killer Crullers (A Donut Shop Mystery, #6) by Jessica Beck Killer Crullers by Jessica Beck: 6th in the Donut Shop series and another miss. This series is REALLY up & down. Grade: 6

Taken (Elvis Cole, #13, Joe Pike, #4) by Robert Crais Taken by Robert Crais: 13th Elvis Cole & 4th Joe Pike, and I don't think Crais has another bad book in him! The only miss he's ever had, IMHO, was THE HOSTAGE and I think he learned his lesson on that one. TAKEN is stellar. Elvis bites off a bit more than he can chew, and Joe is on the case. We could all use a friend like Joe Pike! Grade: 9.5

The Asylum (The Vampire Diaries Stefan's Diaries, #5) by L.J. Smith The Asylum by L.J. Smith, Julie Plec, Kevin Williamson: 5th in the Stefan's Diaries series and another nice distraction if you're a fan of the show..which we all know I am! Grade: 7.5

Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin Ashfall by Mike Mullin: The Yellowstone volcano blows when 15y.o. Alex is home by himself while his parents and sister have gone to his uncle's farm in IL for a long weekend. The story revolves around his decision to set out on his own to get to them. This book was very well written and the details of the happenings right after the blast and the weeks and months after are quite believable. Stumbled upon this one and am glad I did. Grade: 9

File M for Murder by Miranda James File M for Murder by Miranda James: 3rd in Cat in the Stacks series and the weakest so far. I still love Diesel, the Maine cooncat, in the books but the story was just missing something. Grade: 5.5

Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery, #5) by Lorna Barrett Sentenced to Death by Lorna Barrett: 5th in the Booktown series and the only reason I read it is because I have some credits to burn off at PBS. I detest Tricia, the main character in these books, and skimmed a good part of the last half of this book. Won't read anymore in the series. Grade: 3

Article 5 (Article 5, #1) by Kristen Simmons Article 5 by Kristen Simmons: 1st in new YA dystopian series and a total waste of time. Interesting "world" in this one, but that's as far as it went. Grade: 3

Definitely, Maybe (Lucy Valentine, #3.5) by Heather Webber Definitely, Maybe by Heather Webber: this is the short story. Lucy tells the story about she lost her ability to see auras and got her ability to find lost things. Good for what it was. Grade: 5.5

Buried in a Book by Lucy Arlington Buried in a Book by Lucy Arlington: 1st in Novel Idea series and another good 1st outing. Lila Wilkins loses her job at the newspaper she's worked at for 20 years and takes a job as an intern at a literary agency. When a supposedly homeless man turns up dead in the lobby on her first day on the job she gets drawn into a murder investigation. Grade: 8.5

Fallen in Love (Fallen, #3.5) by Lauren Kate Fallen in Love by Lauren Kate: a group of short stories about the characters in Kate's FALLEN series. These were pretty bad, except for one, and pretty much helped me decide that I'll forego the last book in this series when it comes out this summer. Grade: 3

Stay at Home Dead by Jeffrey Allen Stay at Home Dead by Jeffrey Allen (AKA Jeff Shelby): 1st in Deuce Winters series and a really fun read. Engaging characters and lots of humor. Looking forward to book 2, which comes out this fall. Grade: 9.5

Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery #3) by Avery Aames Clobbered by Camembert by Avery Aames: 3rd in Cheese Shop series and the last I'll read. Good enough story, I just can't stand all the cheese talk. She describes it in such a way that you can almost smell it, which for a cheese-phobe like myself is very bad. Grade: 6

Town in a Wild Moose Chase (A Candy Holliday Mystery #3) by B.B. Haywood Town in a Wild Moose Chase by B.B. Haywood: 3rd in Candy Holliday series and actually not bad until it ended in a miserable cliffhanger that pissed me off so bad I don't intend to read any more in the series. Grade: 3

Blood Red Road by Moira Young Blood Red Road by Moira Young: 1st in YA Dustlands trilogy. A very good story, but I found the way it was written to be quite distracting. It was written the way the people talked, so the misspellings, etc were annoying. Grade: 7.5

A Catered St. Patrick's Day by Isis Crawford A Catered St. Patrick's Day by Isis Crawford: newest in Mystery with Recipes series and while better than the last one, not nearly as good as some of the earlier ones. Think I might pass on these in the future. Grade: 6.5

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Good month, Mel, and shorties count. If we read a BFB and only count it as one read, why shouldn't we count shorties as a read too?

message 3: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Wow, Melodie - quite a month! Wasn't Taken grand?

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Great month Melodie! I've read quite a few of your books, but I do see a few that I've also got on my very long wish list ;)

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14611 comments Great month Melodie!
Ashfall sounds very intriguing!

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8056 comments Boy, I'd better stay away from that cheese shop series. I am a sucker for a good cheese and this would probably drive me to my local gourmet foods store.

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments Nice month Melodie. I just Buried in a Book on hold. Looks like it would be a nice change of pace read for me.

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3050 comments Carol, we sooo have to talk about cheese. One of the advantages of a motorcycle is that I do not mind at all doing 400 miles in a day to get just the right cheddar.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14611 comments Just the right cheddar for a 400 mile drive? That must be some cheddar. ;)
Barry wrote: "Carol, we sooo have to talk about cheese. One of the advantages of a motorcycle is that I do not mind at all doing 400 miles in a day to get just the right cheddar."

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3050 comments Have you ever had a 4 year old VT, or a 7 year old Wisconsin?

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14611 comments I have not, and am pretty sure I am sorry I haven't!
Barry wrote: "Have you ever had a 4 year old VT, or a 7 year old Wisconsin?"

message 12: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3050 comments You need to treat yourself. Cabot, Grafton, Sugarbush are all good VT varieties. Red wine is a must. I prefer a hearty rye bread to a cracker to eat it with.

message 13: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Barry wrote: "Carol, we sooo have to talk about cheese. One of the advantages of a motorcycle is that I do not mind at all doing 400 miles in a day to get just the right cheddar."
Barry, on Sunday we rode the bike to Tioga, TX for some of the best tasting Beef BBQ. In Texas BBQ is not made from pork. Tioga is also the birthplace of Gene Autry. I didn't catch the miles, but we went thru a tank and half of gas, 6 gallon tank.
Saw a ranch with horse, not unusual, except there was a zebra among the horses.

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3050 comments Dare I ask what (or who) the BBQ is made of?

I tried my local bbq place, I asked what the options for my sandwich were. The owner said "bread, meat, sauce. Any of those you don't want?"

message 15: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments You can make BBQ out of anything. It's all in how the meat is sliced and how good the sauce is. Barrt's "bread, meat, sauce" is the perfect answer.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14611 comments sounds like a great trip, Lorraine!
Good to hear you and Fred were on the road!
Brakedrum wrote: "on Sunday we rode the bike to Tioga, TX for some of the best tasting Beef BBQ. In Texas BBQ is not made from pork. Tioga is also the birthplace of Gene Autry. I"

message 17: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Barry wrote: "Dare I ask what (or who) the BBQ is made of?

I tried my local bbq place, I asked what the options for my sandwich were. The owner said "bread, meat, sauce. Any of those you don't want?""

Clark's: http://clarksoutpost.com/

message 18: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8056 comments Brakedrum wrote: "
Clark's: http://clarksoutpost.com/
..."

yum! I'm ready for some BBQ!

message 19: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3050 comments Back to Big Bubba's?

message 20: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments Barry wrote: "Back to Big Bubba's?"

we could to that after hunger games if carol wants to come here to see it :)

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8056 comments let's talk...

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14611 comments I am trying to convince DD to start The Hunger Games so we can go to the movie (for films based on books, she insists on reading the book first.)

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "let's talk..."

we're listening...lol
we can firm up plans before we go..

message 24: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8056 comments Ann wrote: "I am trying to convince DD to start The Hunger Games so we can go to the movie (for films based on books, she insists on reading the book first.)"

Yes, I'm with your DD. I'd better start soon. Now where is that copy my goddaughter gave me?

message 25: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann wrote: "I am trying to convince DD to start The Hunger Games so we can go to the movie (for films based on books, she insists on reading the book first.)"

Yes, I'm with your DD. I'd better st..."

You've got 2 weeks, Carol, so get on the stick!! LOL

message 26: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8056 comments Melodie wrote: "You've got 2 weeks, Carol, so get on the stick!! LOL ..."

Yeah, yeah.... ;-)

message 27: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Melodie wrote: "You've got 2 weeks, Carol, so get on the stick!! LOL ..."

Yeah, yeah.... ;-)"

lol you actually have 3 since we're not going to see it until the 30th. get busy, young lady.

message 28: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3592 comments I would go see it but I would have to go on my own. don't see my sister going to see the movie we saw the trailer when we went to the movies the last time and she didn't act like she would go for that one. maybe I'll go see it during the day when it's playing.