Around the World in 80 Books discussion

The Professor's House
This topic is about The Professor's House
Group Reads Discussions > Discussion for The Professor's House

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane  | 12949 comments Start discussion for The Professor's House here.

message 2: by Connie (last edited Mar 07, 2012 09:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Connie G (connie_g) | 862 comments This is an unusual book in the way it is structured into three parts, and how it changes voice in the second part. The Professor and his wife have bought a new house, but he is resisting the move and maintaining a study at the old residence to write about the Spanish explorers. The first portion of the book is about the Professor and his family. The second part tells the story of the now deceased Tom Outland who discovered an abandoned settlement left by the Native Americans in New Mexico. The third section is about the Professor transitioning into his older years. The two most important relationships in his life were his romantic relationship with his wife, and the relationship of the intellect and imagination with Tom, his favorite student. The excitement has gone out of his life, and he is thinking about how he will be spending his mature years.

The book started out slowly, but picked up as it progressed and came together in the end. I especially enjoyed Tom's section about New Mexico which had gorgeous descriptions of the mesa, and the excitement of discovery.

As we read the book, we can think about the significance of the various houses to the characters in the book.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 49 comments I really liked this book, but I can't begin to describe what exactly it is about it that struck me.

The descriptions are great, the Professor is an interesting character and I love Tom Outland. But I think I would have liked it better if both the Professor and Tom had more space to be fleshed out in.

That being said, I was satisfied with the ending and enjoyed reading this book. It is something I most likely would not have found on my own and am immensely glad that I had the opportunity.