The Old Man and the Sea The Old Man and the Sea discussion


281 views
What is love?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

EllaP "Fish, I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends." Page 54


message 2: by Aurore (last edited Mar 02, 2012 05:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aurore Love is real. it's a part of life so it's real. it's not to dream but to experience. it's just like life, it's hard to come to an exact definition.

i'm thinking of it as something like an axiom in maths. it's certain and we never have to define it. we use just signs to realize when and who we fall in love with.

hahahhh. as always the questions about love are exciting LOL.

keep going, guys.

and i'm sorry for not reading clearly and only until i finish commenting, i saw "the old man and the sea" *sign*


Michael T baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more


EllaP Vance wrote: "Plato defined love as the child of need and cunning: something you want really badly and will stop at nothing to get. I suppose this fits Hemingway's usage here, but I think he's trying to convey a..."

:)love can not be beautiful because is the desire to possess what is beautiful,that ruins the idea of love..


EllaP Michael wrote: "baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more"

ok, if you say so,, than no love can be conquered without pain or sacrifice :)


EllaP Hoai Nguyen wrote: "Love is real. it's a part of life so it's real. it's not to dream but to experience. it's just like life, it's hard to come to an exact definition.

i'm thinking of it as something like an axiom in..."
I like the comment,,,it is true that "human nature can find no better helper than love"


Michael T Actually it is from a song


Michael T Milenko wrote: "Michael wrote: "baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more"

When I saw the name of this discussion, my only goal was to enter and write "baby dont hurt me, no more", but you were faster.. :D"


:)


EllaP Christos wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK5Wdq...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktCyKI..."


ajajajaj,,cute but not enough romantic as a song :)


Michael T He is on my list to read


KumeKei Milenko wrote: "Michael wrote: "baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more"

When I saw the name of this discussion, my only goal was to enter and write "baby dont hurt me, no more", but you were faster.. :D"


Same here.

Don't hurt me. no moar!!!!


message 13: by Eric (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eric Who knows what "Love" may mean to a lonley old man, staring at nothing but a fish's ass all day?


message 14: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul I don't know, but a love letter is a bullet from a fucking gun. Frank/Blue Velvet


EllaP Eric wrote: "Who knows what "Love" may mean to a lonley old man, staring at nothing but a fish's ass all day?"

..............that so much loves to kill it


EllaP Paul wrote: "I don't know, but a love letter is a bullet from a fucking gun. Frank/Blue Velvet"

...maybe


message 17: by Will (new) - rated it 2 stars

Will IV baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more [2]


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a hormonal brand of poison that leaves you either bitter or delusional.


message 19: by Gianna (new) - added it

Gianna old man and the sea...is my favorite...short story would be hills like white elephants..but back to your discussion...this is not love..this is need fore-filled by nature...a very poor man living in the most beautiful place in the world and he communes with nature...if it looks like love its not...its comradery of sorts..."I know you can kill me fish..but I need you to survive..to sustain me.."...I don't see love in his choices...I see him persisting while enjoying all the sea has to offer...the sea spray..the struggle with the rope..overcoming his fears...I could go on but...I'll leave it to the imagination to those whom read it or will read it...


message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Question is intriguing. When I have to answer I'd say Love is what I can't define but when it is there I can almost feel it. And my feeling says love is there when we desire nothing from other and all ready to give ours what we have. The first reply quoting 'Fish, I love you...', which is in very different perspective. The old man says Fish, I love you not because old man is in any love for the body of fish but because he is really in love with strong soul of fish.


message 21: by Suma (last edited Aug 31, 2012 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Suma One very interesting idea I found in the novel is that the old man wanted to catch the fish so badly because he wanted to get his pride back so that Manolin would fish back with him (he loves Manolin so much)
Love was one of the most important things that helped the old man to be patient despite of all the struggles he was having.


Peter Suma wrote: "One very interesting idea I found in the novel is that the old man wanted to catch the fish so badly because he wanted to get his pride back so that Manolin would fish back with him (he loves Manol..."

I like that interpretation Suma.


message 23: by Redd (new)

Redd Kaiman Nodding my head

Check out my webcomic: http://reddkaiman.blogspot.com/2013/0...


message 24: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Funderburk Love is the point at which each individual describes their highest capability for affection for another.


Sparrowlicious Oh wow, someone revived this old thread again.

"What is love?" is quite the philosophical question and you can ask 100 people and they will all tell you a different truth. The beautiful thing though is that this truth is true for the person who tells it to you but it might not be the truth for you.

What is love?
Obviously when you 'love' something, that describes a feeling of strong affection.

The importance of love is of variable worth according to each individual. (As in: not everyone's goal in life is to love another person. Some people love their pets more than people, and so on. Throwing a phrase like 'Everyone wants to love another person' is wrong as it excludes everyone with a different view on life and tries to hide the fact that you're desperately searching for someone who loves you or that it is your personal goal to love someone.)

I think my work is done.
I'm not up for discussing anything so please don't message me.


back to top