Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Shades of Milk and Honey (Glamourist Histories, #1)
This topic is about Shades of Milk and Honey
Tangents/Off-Topic Discussions > Shades of Milk & Honey sale (ebook)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (last edited Mar 01, 2012 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 10 comments I think a lot of the members of this group might be interested in this book/series. Shades of Milk & Honey is the 1st in a series (second is Glamour in Glass) which is a Book of Manners set in an alt. Jane Austen era England with small magics. It is not smutty, but there is a strong romance.

The ebook is currently on sale through April 6 and if you haven't read the first I'd say it worthwhile.

Disclaimer: Not the author but I've met her in person and she is charming.

message 2: by Louann (new)

Louann (loulougirl) | 11 comments Hi Dawn, thanks for the recommendation! :)

message 3: by Coral (new) - added it

Coral (coralm) | 58 comments Thanks! I've been wanting to read that for a while but it's been listed so expensive. :)

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Wynde (wyndes) Thanks for the info! For $2.99, it's a definite buy!

Bleu Caldwell (bleucaldwell) | 101 comments Pride and Prejudice meets Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell? Bought! Thanks for posting this -- it looks great!

message 6: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
I read this book and enjoyed it. I felt it was a bit thin somehow in places, but am excited enough to read the second one, i think this is her first book, and want to see how she develops this world!

Another similar book would be Magician and Mrs. Quint (Although this is DEF more straight fantasy than romance) and a book called Cold Magic I can't remember the author's name, which I really liked.

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Wynde (wyndes) I didn't love it, alas. I'd been so looking forward to it, too. But the heroine's insecurity and jealousy of her sister made her not very appealing to me and the ending scenes (cryptically but spoiler-free, the scene with Buffington, so not quite the end) felt more Regency romance than Jane Austen. A lot more Regency romance.

And the weird spellings were distracting. I wouldn't mind if it was always "shew" for "show" but sometimes it wasn't and I couldn't figure out why. It's a bad idea to make your readers puzzle over spelling problems instead of paying attention to the story, I think.

It did have good qualities, too. The magic was interesting and the descriptions were lovely. It definitely wasn't bad, just not inspiring.

Cold Magic is Kate Elliot. Haven't read it, but it's on my wish list.

message 8: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (last edited Mar 11, 2012 09:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "I didn't love it, alas. I'd been so looking forward to it, too. But the heroine's insecurity and jealousy of her sister made her not very appealing to me and the ending scenes (cryptically but spoi..."

RE Cold Fire, I loved the first one and the second one went off the rails a bit . RE; Milk and Honey: Yeah, now that I remember I didn't like her relationship with her sister either, and the ending I remember being a bit lame. I think it has POTENTIAL for sure, maybe she can deepen the world building? I love the conceit and some of the execution.