The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

92 views
SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 20.8. It's My Birthday: Mary Beth's Task - Party Time!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 02, 2012 10:00AM) (new)

Sandy | 15873 comments Mod
20.8. It's My Birthday: Mary Beth's Task - Party Time!
My birthday is in March, and I tend to have two very distinct styles of celebrating. I either go out for a large meal with a huge group of friends, or I do something small and indulgent with one or two friends. So, for this task, celebrate in the style of your choice. Read either a book with more than 50,000 ratings on Goodreads or a book with fewer than 500 ratings on Goodreads. The ratings shown on the book's main page must be used. REQUIRED: Include in your post the number of ratings that the book had when you selected it.


message 2: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 143 comments Reserved


message 3: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 143 comments Reserved


message 4: by Bea (last edited Mar 02, 2012 01:56PM) (new)

Bea | 3925 comments Oh, hallelujah! The book I just started will fit in here. I was beginning to dispair over finding a task for it to fit! The Eye of Jade (309 ratings)


message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments Ohhh good task :)


message 6: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1688 comments I like the task and I'm not complaining, but just checking. I only have 4 books on my TBR with over 50,000 ratings! Do the rest of you have more than that if you choose the high number option? Just curious;)


message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15873 comments Mod
Karen GHHS wrote: "I like the task and I'm not complaining, but just checking. I only have 4 books on my TBR with over 50,000 ratings! Do the rest of you have more than that if you choose the high number option? Just..."

I have a page and a half of books w/ >50,000 on my TBR and 8 pages on my "all books" - so pretty big choice, particularly since there are many many books that I want to read that I haven't put on my TBR already.


message 8: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1688 comments Sandy wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "I like the task and I'm not complaining, but just checking. I only have 4 books on my TBR with over 50,000 ratings! Do the rest of you have more than that if you choose the high ..."

I'm going to check out your lists!


message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments I have 23 on my TBR that have over 50k ratings


message 10: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Is there a way to list the books with over 50,000 ratings or under 500 without going to each book's individual page?


message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15873 comments Mod
Randi wrote: "Is there a way to list the books with over 50,000 ratings or under 500 without going to each book's individual page?"

on your own lists, you can add number of ratings to the data that shows - then you can sort the list by number of ratings.


message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments what sandy said...the best way to do it is to customize your shelf view - click on that link (it shows at the top of your shelves), when the little check boxes come up, select num ratings, and deselect all by title/author/cover (or at least that is how I do it)...then click on the ok

when the new view comes up, select the num ratings by clicking on it - and it will arrange low/high or high/low


message 13: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Wow, awesome, thanks! :D I can't believe I never realized you could customize it.....Haha. Thanks so much ladies!


message 14: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments I've got 34 on my tbr with over 50,000 ratings, so I think I'll be picking one of those :)


message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments i'm going for the opposite and picking a new release, I think I have one that has like 8 reviews ;)


message 16: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 143 comments A great big thank you to everyone for all the positive comments regarding the task!! I just thought about creating a task that would allow people to fit in a book for which there didn't seem to be another place.

Also, if anyone needs any ideas, I have over 100 books on my To Read shelf alone that fit the task.


message 17: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Mar 02, 2012 11:05PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I have nearly 7 pages of books on my TBR over 50,000 and 8 ½ pages of books will less that 500.

I wanted to see if I could read The Tales of Beedle the Bard for this task or if it would be considered a young reader.


message 18: by Mary Beth (last edited Mar 05, 2012 07:59AM) (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 143 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I have nearly 7 pages of books on my TBR over 50,000 and 8 ½ pages of books will less that 500.

I wanted to see if I could read The Tales of Beedle the Bard for this task or if..."


I will leave that decision to the moderators since it tends to be more of a general challenge rule rather than a task specific requirement. However, if it helps, Amazon ranked The Tales of Beedle the Bard at a higher age level than Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, age 11 versus age 9. So, if the other Harry Potter books work for 20 point tasks, this one should as well.


message 19: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I asked also on the General Questions thread and they said it was technically up to the task creator...so that is why I asked here too. If you are fine with it I am going to pick it up.


message 20: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 143 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I asked also on the General Questions thread and they said it was technically up to the task creator...so that is why I asked here too. If you are fine with it I am going to pick it up."

I'm perfectly fine with it, then, Meghan. Enjoy the book!


message 21: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Yay thanks!


message 22: by Lavinia (last edited Mar 07, 2012 06:50PM) (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) | 54 comments I've got a pre-release book (uncorrected proof) that has ZERO reviews, but it *is* listed in GR (ISBN and everything)... is that ok? (The Voluntourist)


message 23: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 143 comments Lavinia wrote: "I've got a pre-release book (uncorrected proof) that has ZERO reviews, but it *is* listed in GR (ISBN and everything)... is that ok? (The Voluntourist)"

That works perfectly fine for me, Lavinia. I have quite a few ARCs in my own collection, and I'm just glad you were able to find the GR listing.


message 24: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Ooohhhh Lavinia! Now you got me thinking about the 50 or so that I have waiting to be read...I guess I should have thought of those first huh?


message 25: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) | 54 comments LOL I live to be helpful. :)


back to top