The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 20.7. Shorter is Sweeter: Jayalalita's Task - Happy Rama Navami!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 02, 2012 03:29AM) (new)

Sandy | 15905 comments Mod
20.7. Shorter is Sweeter: Jayalalita's Task - Happy Rama Navami!

April 1st is the date of this year's Rama Navami, the celebration of the birth of Lord Rama, the hero of the legendary Indian epic, the Ramayana. In honor of this occasion, read a fiction or nonfiction book about or containing an aspect of myth, legend, folklore, fairy tale, or fable from any culture or part of the world you would like to learn more about. Books of short stories with a mythic slant, fairy tale retellings, and general nonfiction books on mythology or folklore work as well.

For example: Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente retells the Slavic tale of Koschei the Deathless. The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson is based around the kitsune legends of Japan. The Welsh Fairy Book is a collection of Welsh folklore. Ramayana is an ancient epic from India. The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest is a compilation of stories about the Green Man.

For a list of mythology and retellings lists, click here. List of Mythology Lists Keep in mind when using Goodreads lists is that not all books will fit the task.
Optional: Tell us what myth or legend your book is inspired by, and where it originates in the world.

message 2: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Reserved.

message 3: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Reserved.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments May I read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories? Has Sleepy and Rip van Winkle American legends.

message 5: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments Would Ella Enchanted , a retelling of the Cinderella story, be OK?

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments Of Poseidon, based on Greek Mythology?

message 7: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Would either Spindle's End (a retelling of sleeping beauty) or one of the Percy Jackson books (Greek mythology) work?
Thanks

message 8: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Can I use Betrayal for this task?

message 10: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Anne (Booklady) wrote: "May I read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories? Has Sleepy and Rip van Winkle American legends."

Yes, nice choice!

message 11: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Connie wrote: "Would Ella Enchanted , a retelling of the Cinderella story, be OK?"

Yes, any fairy tale retelling will do.

message 12: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Angie wrote: "Of Poseidon, based on Greek Mythology?"

That works fine!

message 13: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Keltie Lee wrote: "Would either Spindle's End (a retelling of sleeping beauty) or one of the Percy Jackson books (Greek mythology) work?
Thanks"

Either one works!

message 14: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Skandia wrote: "Can I use Betrayal for this task?"

That works perfectly!

message 15: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Bea wrote: "I am thinking of Shamans and Kushtakas: North Coast Tales of the Su."

Absolutely -- very interesting choice. This is part of why I chose this task -- to see some different examples of cultural traditions. Thanks!

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments Would The Big Over Easy work? It's not really a retelling so not sure, but it's been on my book shelf forever so thought I would check!

message 17: by Sheila (last edited Mar 02, 2012 03:05AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Congratulations Jayalalita!

I was wondering if either of these books would work for your task Wild Indigo or Day of the Dead. The description for Day of the Dead is better at this link http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/j/j...

Thanks

message 18: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Michelle wrote: "Would The Big Over Easy work? It's not really a retelling so not sure, but it's been on my book shelf forever so thought I would check!"

Nursery rhymes count in my book, so that works fine!

message 19: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Sheila wrote: "Congratulations Jayalalita! I was wondering if this book would work for your task Wild Indigo"

Thank you! :) Wild Indigo works -- it sounds like it has some interesting subject matter, indeed!

message 20: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Sheila wrote: "Congratulations Jayalalita!

I was wondering if either of these books would work for your task Wild Indigo or Day of the Dead. The description for Day of the Dead is better at t..."

Reading some of the reviews for Day of the Dead, it looks like it contains enough about Native American legends to work.

message 21: by Sheila (last edited Mar 02, 2012 03:44AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Great. I read the book Kiss of the Bees in the same series as Day of the Dead for the winter SRC and it was full of Indian myth and legend.

Thanks

message 22: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Would this book work?

A String In The Harp

This is from the description-

"Then Peter tells Jen he's found a strange artifact, a harp key that shows him pictures from the life of Taliesin, the great bard whose life in sixth-century Wales has been immortalized in legend"

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments so i'm good to read Enraptured - the main characters are all descentdants of Jason and the Argonauts from Greek mythology and this one is specifically about Orpheus - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheus

message 24: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Dee wrote: "so i'm good to read Enraptured - the main characters are all descentdants of Jason and the Argonauts from Greek mythology and this one is specifically about Orpheus - http://en.wiki..."

Dee, I read Tempted in that series and it was fantastic!

message 25: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments would this work Cloaked

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments so have i - this is the newest one that is due out in April

Sassafrass wrote: "Dee wrote: "so i'm good to read Enraptured - the main characters are all descentdants of Jason and the Argonauts from Greek mythology and this one is specifically about Orpheus - ht..."

message 27: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Would this work The Palace of Illusions?

message 28: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Just wanted to check whether either of these work
Wicked : The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West- retelling of The Wizard of Oz
or Fantasy Lover which looks as though it based around Greek Mythology. Male lead is the son of the goddess Aphrodite.

message 29: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments So I am assuming Alice or Rapunzel would work? I just want to check...

message 30: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 802 comments Would you accept Fortune's Fool being based on Little Mermaid?

message 31: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I've had Fleeced for several years, and now it looks like I have no excuses to keep putting it off:)

message 32: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Would this book work?

A String In The Harp

This is from the description-

"Then Peter tells Jen he's found a strange artifact, a harp key that shows him pictures from the lif..."

That works -- sounds like a lot of fun!

message 33: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Dee wrote: "so i'm good to read Enraptured - the main characters are all descentdants of Jason and the Argonauts from Greek mythology and this one is specifically about Orpheus - http://en.wiki..."

That you are! Looks saucy! ;)

message 34: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments JennRenee wrote: "would this work Cloaked"

That works!

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments i actually think i'm going to change mine - The Frog Prince

message 36: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Would this work The Palace of Illusions?"

That definitely works. I've been curious about that one, myself -- I wonder how it's handled.

message 37: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Sam wrote: "Just wanted to check whether either of these work
Wicked : The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West- retelling of The Wizard of Oz
or Fantasy Lover which looks a..."

Those work!

message 38: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Excellent. Thanks.

message 39: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "So I am assuming Alice or Rapunzel would work? I just want to check..."

Both work!

message 40: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments KSMary wrote: "Would you accept Fortune's Fool being based on Little Mermaid?"

Certainly. I like the sound of that one; anything that draws on Russian folktales is interesting to me.

message 41: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Christine US wrote: "I've had Fleeced for several years, and now it looks like I have no excuses to keep putting it off:)"

I love that cover!

message 42: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Dee wrote: "i actually think i'm going to change mine - The Frog Prince"

Hehe, I love that we live in a time when books like this are written. I am so very fond of stories that take something familiar and make it naughty!

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments and i'm all for naughty books :)

message 44: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Jayalalita wrote: "Hehe, I love that we live in a time when books like this are written. I am so very fond of stories that take something familiar and make it naughty! "

You're a girl after my own heart, Jayalalita! LOL

message 45: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1503 comments Oh goodie, another excuse to raid my kids' bookshelves - they've got The Red Pyramid.

message 46: by Randi (last edited Mar 02, 2012 11:36AM) (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments I was looking at Entwined or The Red Pyramid or The Sea of Monsters for this one & just wanted to check. :)

message 47: by Fran (last edited Mar 02, 2012 11:56AM) (new)

Fran | 736 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Jayalalita wrote: "Hehe, I love that we live in a time when books like this are written. I am so very fond of stories that take something familiar and make it naughty! "

You're a girl after my ow..."

Ditto! I'm thinking of using that one too ;)

message 48: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Jayalalita wrote: "Anne (Booklady) wrote: "May I read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories? Has Sleepy and Rip van Winkle American legends."

Yes, nice choice!"

Thanks! I love Sleepy and Rip van Winkle. It's been 35 years since I read them. ;-}

message 49: by April (new)

April Would The Wind Done Gone: A Novel work? It is a retelling of Gone with the Wind.
or Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast. Guess the name says it all, but just to be sure.

message 50: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Does The Crimson Fairy Book work for this task? It's a collection of fairy tales.

« previous 1 3