Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Amazon Tips > Kindle Nation

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea (new)

Lea Ryan | 9 comments Has anyone used Kindle Nation for advertising their books? I'm considering it, but their options seem expensive.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments I have a Kindle Nation Shorts email blast going out tomorrow. I'll be blogging on results at www.thebookmarketingblog.com! Crossing my fingers! I hear it does generate sales.

message 3: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments I did Kindle Nation when it was a lot cheaper ($79 for the Kindle Nation Daily). Back then, quite a few individuals felt they got their money worth. However, I didn't break even. I earned a few sales over the first day or two, but afterward sales trickled off to nothing. I believe at the time I only had 1 or 2 reviews, though they were 4 stars and above. The price was $2.99 or 3.99, and the book was run on a weekend. One thing I will say is that book has never really picked up in sales. So my results with the Kindle Nation may have little to do with the sponsorship it self, but rather the actual book.

My recommendation is to look at the stats they display on the website. Check to see if the results are long lasting. Estimate if those who've participate have received a return on their investment. The data is there. It's up to you to interpret them.

message 4: by K. (new)

K. Chase (kvictoriachase) | 5 comments I'd love to hear the results of anyone signing up. I just released a book and I'm trying to advertise on a lower budget (under $100).

@Diane: I'll check out your blog for the results!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments Awesome! Thanks! The email went out an hour ago, and I've sold 8 copies already. Hoping this goes up as the day wears on and people start reading in the weekend.

message 6: by Lea (new)

Lea Ryan | 9 comments Thank you, Reena. You are forever wise and knowing.

: )

Diane, I'm interested to see how it works out for you. I'll check back in and on your blog. Thanks!

-LR

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 7 comments The general consensus is that they used to be really effective but have basically sucked every last drop of blood out of their fan base. Posts they make on their Facebook page are largely ignored, and yet the costs seem to keep going up.

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison | 55 comments There is a new guy in town you may want to check out. This site promotes to readers of all formats, not just Kindle.

They have an e-book of the day but after that your book stays on the site in its own genre catagory. They do lots of ebook giveaways and raffle off a kindle fire once a month. They only charge $25 for the ad. I am an author as well as a reader and I just bought a book from their e-book of the day.

Check it out and see if it will suit your needs. It is called The Readers Guide to e-publishing.

The lady who set it up is an indie author and runs a site called The Writer's guide to e-publishing, which is an awesome site with loads of info and help on e-publishing.

The links are:
Writer's guide (Helpful resource for indie authors) - http://thewritersguidetoepublishing.com

Reader's guide (hosts e-books of the day) - http://thereadersguidetoepublishing.w...

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 7 comments Alison wrote: "There is a new guy in town you may want to check out. This site promotes to readers of all formats, not just Kindle.

They have an e-book of the day but after that your book stays on the site in i..."

They have a Facebook following of 210 (plenty of authors in there I can see) and a Twitter following of 150. They have no business asking for money from authors with practically no following, and if I were you I'd ask for my money back.

Every day there's another person ready to offer authors a rip-off.

message 10: by Alison (new)

Alison | 55 comments Jason wrote: "Alison wrote: "There is a new guy in town you may want to check out. This site promotes to readers of all formats, not just Kindle.

They have an e-book of the day but after that your book stays o..."

Jason, they just launched it beginning of February so it is only a month old, but it looks like it's growing fast. They had a lot of people enter for the free Kindle their 1st month, so the site has more of a following than shows on fb and twitter.

They are doing loads of promo to get the site out there and it's people like me, spreading the word, that gets the site more visibility, until, before you know it, it's as big as KND. That is, afterall, how the internet works, is it not? If you have vision and positivity all things are possible.

You can't really tell a true following by twitter or fb. I for one don't bother following a site on twitter or fb if I follow the original site, it just seems like a waste of time to me.

At $25 for an ad, if your book was $2.99 you'd only have to sell 13 extra books to earn out that cost and your book will be on a site that has the potential to go places. At worst you've got $25 of expenses to write off against your taxes :-)

message 11: by Jason (last edited Mar 03, 2012 10:12AM) (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 7 comments Alison wrote: "Jason wrote: "Alison wrote: "There is a new guy in town you may want to check out. This site promotes to readers of all formats, not just Kindle.

They have an e-book of the day but after that you..."

It's nice of you to want to help get the word out about a new site with big ambitions, but the way for them to get there isn't by charging real money now for how big they plan to be in the future.

Doing a Kindle giveaway is a good idea, but unless the site has some other big way to generate traffic it's going to depend on it's following at Facebook and twitter. Considering there are a million other book sites out there, it's unlikely to get much search traffic.

And people like you spreading the word to authors does not help them build a reader fanbase at all. It would take only 13 sales to make the money back, but it's hard to imagine any sales coming in with so few people seeing it.

Being on a site that has the potential to go places isn't any good unless it's already there. $25 isn't a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things, but it's way too much for advertising when you'll get nothing in return. Why throw away money, especially on a site with a grainy banner that is both a turn-off to readers and a sign that the people running it aren't making any investment whatsoever?

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments All rightey. My Kindle Nation Short email went out yesterday to 37,000 opt-in subscribers. It was fun to watch the sales numbers rise every time I hit the refresh button for the first two hours after the email went out. After that, it was dead. The email did briefly put me at about 40 on two Kindle Top 100 lists and jump my sales rank up to 6,000. However, as of right now, I've only sold 19 books.

The ad guy re-wrote my intro-copy. I thought what he did was a little clunky. And they compressed my cover image so much that it didn't even look like the same cover. I'm gonna copy and paste everything he did on my blog (or try to, anyway).

I needed to sell 100 books to make my money back.

Let me tell you, I've done email campaigns before, and it's generally pretty easy to get at least a .05 conversion rate (which would have been 185 sales).

So unless there's some more major movement over the weekend, I am not impressed.

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments ps, blog: thebookmarketingblog.com

message 14: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd free read on http://laurellamperdwriter.webs.com & www.authorsden.com/laurellamperd

Poem - Apricots - Can love be blind.

message 15: by Lea (new)

Lea Ryan | 9 comments Thank you for the info, Diane!

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments You're welcome! :)

message 17: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Wallace | 7 comments Diane, what price were you selling at? I put my book a couple of weekends ago and the needle didn't move. I asked for an analysis and they came back pretty certain that it was my $3.50 price point. They said their readers don't really pay more than 2.99. Info that would have been good to have been the check cleared.

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments Hey Benjamin! I was selling at $2.99. Might try it again later on at 99 cents, but I don't know. I feel like people are catching on to the fact that there's a lot of bad writing at the 99 cent price point--I saw an article to that effect the other day. What do you think?

message 19: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments Tough call. One thing to keep in mind is you'll have to sell 6x as many books at $0.99 compared to at $2.99 ($0.35 versus $2.04 profit differences). You might catch additional readers at the lower price range, maybe not since it's going out to the same audience.

Have you taken time to view the track record for Kindle Nation? That might help you make a decision.

Promotions might also work better when you have more books under your belt. I get the feeling readers like established authors.

message 20: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Wallace | 7 comments Diane,
I set my novels at 3.50 for the past month and I've only seen an increase in sales. I don't if the increases are related but I like to stay away from the 2.99 just to distinguish myself a little. I do price my short stories at .99 however.

Reena,
They tried to tell that mu campaign was "moderately successful" as it raised in rank from 20k to 10k. But the book had been sitting at 8k leading up to the ad run.

They can boast big numbers but the ROI just wasn't there for me.

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 7 comments Benjamin, sorry to hear things didn't work out for you either. They used to be able to boast big numbers, but now the unanimous response is that returns on sponsorships that cost hundreds of dollars is nothing more than a trickle. An extra 51 cents wouldn't make a difference unless visitors are extremely disinclined to make a purchase in the first place.

message 22: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Wallace | 7 comments Jason,

I agree. I've seen only an increase in sales at the 3.50 price point.

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments @Reena, I think you're right about established authors.

message 24: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 35 comments I just found out that my book is available on Kindle as well as e-books. I didn't realize that, and I'm so angry at myself because I've let so many people know that I didn't have Kindle. Anyway, here it is. Blessed Are the Merciful by Joyce Shaughnessy

message 25: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 35 comments Diane wrote: "I have a Kindle Nation Shorts email blast going out tomorrow. I'll be blogging on results at www.thebookmarketingblog.com! Crossing my fingers! I hear it does generate sales."

What a great copy on your book. They did ruin it. I guess it was a question of space, but they must care more about space than sales!

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 23 comments Hey Joyce! Thanks for the validation on that! I'm glad to know it wasn't just me being an over-sensitive author!

Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blessed Are the Merciful (other topics)