The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

Books > Shiver

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I believe there's at least a few of us reading Shiver this month! I just started last night--I think it's pretty good so far! I like the alternating points of view between Sam and Grace. (:

message 2: by Book Mitch (new)

Book Mitch Yes, joining you :)

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
I loved Shiver! The rest of the series is pretty good, but I liked Shiver the best.

message 4: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I'm about a hundred and twenty pages in, and it's a little fast for me, but I really like the writing. Stiefvater is really good with balance. (:

message 5: by April (new)

April | 570 comments I really enjoyed it! Hope you like it too...it was lighter and less broody than Twilight, so it was refreshing for me:) . . .and the more I read the more I liked it! Can't wait to hear what you think! ...and let me know when/if you move onto Linger...I'll buddy read with ya:) I've only read Shiver so far...but looking forward to the others (although, I've been told they do get 'darker')

message 6: by Book Mitch (new)

Book Mitch @ Thalia/April-I'm about 173 pages into it. I'm surprised that so much has been revealed already...wondering what could possibly be left? AND there are three books! What's next? Don't tell me...almost done :) I'll join you both for Linger!

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 38 comments Not to be a pessimist in the midst of you all who liked it.

But I didn't like it. I didn't even finish it.

message 8: by Book Mitch (new)

Book Mitch Finished this morning! I wrote my review but it has *spoilers* in it...I still have 3 other books I'm reading..."State of Wonder", "The Buddha in the Attic", and "Pink Smog" so I think I can be ready to read "Linger" by Tuesday? Wanna join?

message 9: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments 270-ish pages in, and not totally sold yet, but it isn't terrible, hahah. (: I haven't read Michelle's review, but by the rating she gave, I'm along the same lines so far.

I don't think I'll be able to pack in Linger this month though; I have to read nine other books by the end of March, not including Poe! OTL.

message 10: by Book Mitch (new)

Book Mitch Thalia wrote: "270-ish pages in, and not totally sold yet, but it isn't terrible, hahah. (: I haven't read Michelle's review, but by the rating she gave, I'm along the same lines so far.

I don't think I'll be ab..."

Oh my gosh! And here I thought I was an aggressive reader! haha! If anyone wants to join me in "Linger" I would welcome it. Thalia-I'll post a review in case you'd like to read it (or not) in the future!

message 11: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Yes, once I finish it, I'll look up what you said! (: Bahhh, well, I'm co-president of my book club at school, and there are two groups, so there's two books for this month right there, and I'm only doing ONE reading challenge--but one of my books is The Nine Lives of Chloe King, which is really three books in one. x) March is busy!

I'm hoping to finish up tomorrow, probably either during school or right after. (:

message 12: by Alysia (new)

Alysia I am hesitating reading the comments here but I wanna look. I am starting it next month.

message 13: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I finished it just yesterday! I wasn't a HUGE fan of it, because I thought there were a couple inconsistencies that I couldn't quite figure out (the whole temperature thing confused me to noooo end, hahaha)--and then things like Sam and Grace "sleeping together" the entire book. Just a couple pet peeves Stiefvater hit with me, although she's a fairly good writer! I'll definitely read the rest of the series, and I so wish I had enjoyed it more than I did!

message 14: by Jessica (new)

The main reason I liked it was because (click link for HUGE spoiler) (view spoiler)
I also thought it ended in a really good place. She adds some great characters in the next books, but the ending for Shiver seemed perfect the way it was to me.

message 15: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Really? (view spoiler)

I did like the ending! (view spoiler)

message 16: by Book Mitch (last edited Mar 08, 2012 11:12PM) (new)

Book Mitch I was actually a little confused about Olivia....when did she actually know anything? For how long? And why was her "transition" so different than anyone else's? So peaceful.

message 17: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Yeah, she didn't really seem to change very often. And then when she finally did change, it wasn't painful or anything like how it was described. And she never changed back and forth like everybody else. Whaaaa, the questions!

message 18: by April (new)

April | 570 comments I got that was because she didn't fight it:) I really enjoyed it, but again...it was after my Twilight Saga bought! So Sam and Grace seemed refreshing to me..they had a lighter being about them (even though there were heavy things at play) (view spoiler) I am looking forward to getting to the next ones...but it's not gonna happen in April...so I either need to hit it before then...but I'm enjoying The Crystal Cave that I want my brain to stay there...no werewolves yet...I'm liking people with 'sight' instead at the moment! Let me know when you guys move on to Linger, and if I'm able, I'd love to do a buddy read...it's so fun getting others views! I totally get yours Thalia...although I never took that thought route when I was reading it!

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Thalia- I can totally see that point of view. That would bother me if people used things like that too much. I hadn't read a lot of paranormal before Shiver and I liked the different reaction they had to Sam. It surprised me. But you're right - it could easily turn into a cliche. So fun to talk about this book with you guys!!

message 20: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I don't find it much in 'real' books. Mostly found in fanfiction that wants to darken the original premise of whatever fandom it was. So now when I see something like, I'm immediately like, "Blargggg, whyyyyyy." I think that was a huuuuge part of why I didn't like the book as a whole as much as you guys seemed to.

message 21: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Hope you end up liking it; I'm really sad that I didn't. :[