Tudor History Lovers discussion

So Many Places to Go!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments Has anyone in the group ever visited any of the "Tudor sights/places" in England?
Do share the names and experiences(what you thought of them)!! As someone who hasn't been but is dying to go to England, I'd love to hear! :D

message 2: by Serena (new)

Serena (SerenaFlamingo) | 4 comments Haha, we were just talking about this in your group, but I'll go ahead and answer. Like I said, the tower of London was so much fun, and it was really neat to see the crown jewels. Hampton court was also one of my fav places, it's incredibly big and so beautiful. Winchester cathedral was gorgeous too, tho the line to get in was quite long. There's a Jane Austen memorial in there as well. It was awe-inspiring to see the tomb of Mary and Elizabeth. I wish I'd gone to the British library. Have you looked at onthetudortrail.com? That's a fantastic website.

message 3: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments Serena wrote: "Haha, we were just talking about this in your group, but I'll go ahead and answer. Like I said, the tower of London was so much fun, and it was really neat to see the crown jewels. Hampton court wa..."

Oh wow! it sounds fascinating! I'd LOVE to see the burial place of Elizabeth. :) no, I havent, Ill look it up! :D

message 4: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments Serena wrote: "Haha, we were just talking about this in your group, but I'll go ahead and answer. Like I said, the tower of London was so much fun, and it was really neat to see the crown jewels. Hampton court wa..."

yea i heard you talking about the places and was like..I wonder if more ppl from the Tudor group have been.. lol

message 5: by Martin (new)

Martin Belcher (martinbelcher) | 2 comments I'm lucky enough to live just an hour away from London but have not been to the Tower of London yet, I should try and do it before the summer tourists arrive! I visited Hampton Court Palace two years ago and we did the tour of Buckingham Palace as well which was magnificent and I kept thinking to myself I can't believe i'm actually here! With the Olympics in London this July/ August, I think I might avoid London totally until September, far too busy and over crowded trains and tube are not for me.

message 6: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments Stephanie wrote: "I'd love to visit England some day - I'm so interested in the history and would love to see the places in which the people we love and read about actually lived. So intriguing to me, America just d..."

Haha agreed.

message 7: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments Martin wrote: "I'm lucky enough to live just an hour away from London but have not been to the Tower of London yet, I should try and do it before the summer tourists arrive! I visited Hampton Court Palace two yea..."

that is so cool! :D Haha yes, that will be busy! lol I keep finding people on here who live in England. I SO want to visit there! :D

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte_sometimes) | 78 comments It's an expensive trip, but it's SO worth it!

Hampton Court and Kenilworth Castle were my absolute favorites. Hever Castle, the Tower, and Westminster Abbey were also marvelous. Windsor is gorgeous, but I preferred the less done-up locations, like Kenilworth, which is a ruin. You really get a sense of the history at places like that. It's very haunting.

I thought my feet might fall off after it was all said and done, but I loved every second of it. Will definitely be going back. :)

message 9: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments Amanda wrote: "It's an expensive trip, but it's SO worth it!

Hampton Court and Kenilworth Castle were my absolute favorites. Hever Castle, the Tower, and Westminster Abbey were also marvelous. Windsor is gorgeou..."

Sounds wonderful.
Well, I have a semi-sorta distant relative moving there so I'll just have to "go visit". ;D

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments I've been to Hampton Court and the Tower, and both are worth a trip. Hampton Court was particular fun.

message 11: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments Susanna wrote: "I've been to Hampton Court and the Tower, and both are worth a trip. Hampton Court was particular fun."

Thanks! I'll have to see them *when* I go! :D

message 12: by Marylou (last edited Mar 03, 2012 03:10PM) (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments I have been several times te England and wish I could go again. The last time we stayed at Amberly Castle and slept in a room like it was in gthe middle ages.Went to see tthe Roman baths. Went to Blenheim Palace where Churchil as born I have not seen the Lake country and would love to see it.

message 13: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments Marylou wrote: "I have been several times te England and wish I could go again. The last time we stayed at Amberly Castle had a bedroom like it was in the middle ages. Went to Bath to see the Roman baths, Saw Bl..."

...a bedroom like the middle ages?....*sigh* thats what I want. ;)

message 14: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments I am half English and have been fortunate to travel to the UK frequently--once or twice each year. I have spent time at The Tower, much time in various places in London, at various colleges at Oxford. Hands down, my favorite Tudor's location is Hampton Court Palace. I love the Chapel Royal and had a truly special experience there a few years ago. The Tudor Gallery at The National Portrait Gallery never fails to bring tears of astonishment to my eyes. It is indeed overwhelming to stand before Queen Elizabeth I's Coronation portrait.

I would like to visit The Apothecary's Shop as well as Windsor. I would also like to take a boat trip from London proper to HCP.

message 15: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (goodreadscomshirleyec) | 12 comments I've been to London 3 times and would go back in a minute. To me, the best way to tour London is to walk. Get a decent map with the various sites and walk and walk and walk. Good shoes are a must!:) By walking, you get to really feel London and get to see things you might not have known about.

message 16: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments *sigh* Im determined to go. lol

message 17: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments I agree with Shirley! I got lost in the back alleyways of Southwark and had quite an adventurous time! I met the nicest people and discovered some of the coolest places that I doubt I would have found had I stayed on well tread walking paths. London is the perfect city to purposefully get lost in and cherish whatever may unfold.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary | 69 comments Alice wrote: "Serena wrote: "Haha, we were just talking about this in your group, but I'll go ahead and answer. Like I said, the tower of London was so much fun, and it was really neat to see the crown jewels. H..."

One of the most exciting points of my trip to the British Isles in 1969 was standing between the tombs of Elizabeth and Mary and putting my hand on the Queen of Scots monument!

Would love to go back.

message 19: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments that. sounds. amazing. . . .I will do that. :)

message 20: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments A great read before going to London is London: A Biography by Peter Ackroyd. I also recommend his book entitled, Thames. Both are full of fascinating bits of historical information on the city and its many wonders.

message 21: by Caity (new)

Caity | 56 comments Thanks! :D

message 22: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Hello Steph,
My paternal grandfather was born and bred in London. My dad, however, grew up in Cornwall and came here to stay with an aunt and uncle for school (better opportunities), did well, got accepted to university, got married, etc..,I know where my parental grandmother hails from but much less about my grandfather as he died shortly after my dad came here.

Also in his quest to assimilate, My dad is a product of Hansen's Law:"what the son wants to forget, the grandchild wants to remember". In this case, the daughter wants to remember.

Did I spring up from out of the blue? (*^_^*) When axhool

message 23: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Oops! Hit the wrong button just then! When school is in session, I hardly have any time for
myself! In any case, I'm enjoying being here!

message 24: by happy (last edited Sep 26, 2012 09:55AM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 106 comments When we were in England 4 yrs ago, in addition to the Tower ( which is a must go ) we visited Hatfield ( where Elizabeth learned she was Queen, most of the current house is post Elizabeth though ), Peterbrough Cathedral ( Catherine of Aragon is buried there as well as Mary, Queen of Scots first burial site ) and Burley House ( William Cecil home ) - all were very fascinating for this history geek.

When I retire in a few years, my dream is to spend 2-3 months in England just going to history sites. Two weeks was nowhere near long enough!

message 25: by Erica (new)

Erica (ericalaurend) | 7 comments I really want to go to Hever Castle (Anne Boleyn's birthplace). I'm a huge Anne Boleyn fan. Also, I hear that the gardens are beautiful.

message 26: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I went to the Tower a couple of years ago, as well as Hampton Court and Westminster Abbey. The National Portrait Gallery is a MUST SEE, even if you do what I did and just visit the Tudor section. I loved the Tower though, it's kinda "my place." I felt so comfortable there. Sounds kinda weird. I'm so excited, I'm heading to London on my way back to the States in a couple of weeks and I CAN'T WAIT. hands down, favorite city in the world. It felt like I was coming home the first time I went, and it has felt like that every time since.

message 27: by Johanna (new)

Johanna H. | 143 comments Just reading about it is exciting :D i really hope i can travel to all those places in the future! Must be awe inspiring to really be there where all this History happened! I envy you!

message 28: by Izzy (new)

Izzy I went to Tower and to Hever Castle a few years ago.Hever Castle is a lovely place,for everyone.

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie I LOVE London! My husband works there quite a lot and I try to go whenever he is there.
A couple of weeks ago I went for the day, (it's about a 2 hour drive, hour and a half on the train), he went to a meeting I walked around all day...bliss.
I went round Banqueting House this time, you could pass it by and not really notice it. It's the only building left on the original site of Westminster Palace and the place where Charles I was executed, very interesting stories.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 20 comments I loved visiting Hampton Court - the gardens were beautiful when I was there. The Tower of London was interesting as well. I'm glad I was there though before they redid the spot where Anne Boleyn, etc. was executed. I don't like the memorial that they put in its place.

I spent an afternoon in the Portrait Gallery as well. I was surprised at how small some of the pictures really were. When I saw them in the books, I guess I thought the actual version would be much larger.

message 31: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Well,I was bit disappointed when I visited Tower of London.I don't know why but after all I've read and seen in movies I probably expect more.I went to the Chapel of St Peter ad Vincula but I couldn't get closer to the burial site. In London I can recommend Kensington Palace,British Museum and Victoria and Albert Museum.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1903 comments My mother's just back from a garden tour of southern England; they went to Hever Castle. They had a good time there. She says they had richly costumed interpreters playing Anne and Mary Boleyn (Anne in a rich red, Mary in gold).

message 33: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments Sigh, it is my biggest wish to go to England and see Tudor places. I have a list of around 20 places I'd like to go, ha.

message 34: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments I have been fortunate to have visited England 3 times with my husband. Some of the places we went were St. Paul's, Westminster, Kensington Palace, Windsor, Leeds, Hatfield, the Tower of London, to name of few spots My husband was so great to help me achieve my dream of seeing all of the burial places of Henry's Wives and the home and final resting place of Princess Diana. There are so many other places I want to see and so I hope in our retirement we have a chance to go again. The best piece of advice I got before I went was remember to look down and in unlikely places. In doing so I spotted some lesser known "royal" graves and saw a plaque marking the home of one of Charles ii mistresses. I just love england and its rich history!!!!

message 35: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 26 comments I know this is primarily a Tudor experience but in case anyone is interested - the Temple Church in London - burial place of many of the Templar Knights.

message 36: by Arwen (last edited Sep 24, 2014 03:56AM) (new)

Arwen | 51 comments I take my students to the Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Abbey every year and they enjoy the stories I tell them from Henry VIII and his wives. I have also visited and loved Hampton Court and Hever Castle. I've seen the church where Thomas Wolsey was ordained priest in Marlborough. I'd like to go to Bosworth field someday to see if i can recapture the atmosphere of the battle...

message 37: by happy (last edited Oct 30, 2014 04:28PM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 106 comments When I was visiting my brother in '08, in addition to some of the other places already mentioned, we visited Peterborough Cathedral- the resting place of Catherine of Aragon and the first burial place of Mary, Queen of Scots. Unlike Westminster, it is free although they do ask for a donation. They also let you take all the pictures one want. My brother also drove us by the Abbey where Catherine spent her last days. IIRC, he said it is now a public school.

photo Peterborough_Cathedeal7.jpg

photo CatherineOfAragon_Grave2.jpg

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 8 comments I dream of visiting Hever castle and the tower of London. I wanna see the crown jewels and the scaffold used in beheading my dearest Anne. My goodness... History fascinates me so much.

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 8 comments I don't think it would be anytime soon though... I'm like from the other side of the world and I'm still a student. Sigh. But i will definitely go to England to see these beautiful historical sites i swear to God i will

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 8 comments I don't think it would be anytime soon though... I'm like from the other side of the world and I'm still a student. Sigh. But i will definitely go to England to see these beautiful historical sites i swear to God i will