The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > 'Broaden Your Horizons' (March) Monthly Mini Challenge

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana (last edited Mar 01, 2012 02:49PM) (new)

Dana (erato) This challenge will be an ongoing monthly mini-challenge to help us step out of a rut we might be in. Let's not just be well-read, let's be well-rounded as well. :)

Your Horizons

To the East: Read a book that is outside of your favorite genre or sub-genre. (i.e., if you usually read fantasy then read a thriller, if you usually read non-fiction then read fiction, if you usually read romance then read a mystery, etc.)

To the West: Read an author that is new to you. (This can be any genre, either what you normally read or something completely new to you.)

Broaden Your Horizons' Monthly-Mini Challenge
Duration: March 1st to March 31st 2012

East: New genre or sub-genre.
West: New author.

message 2: by Dana (last edited Mar 01, 2012 02:55PM) (new)

Dana (erato) I'm all over this in March and really broadening my horizons. I'm going to read non-fiction - gasp!

Broaden Your Horizons' Monthly-Mini Challenge
Duration:
March 1st to March 31st 2012

East: New genre: nonfiction Secrets from the Jerry Baker Test Gardens:
West: New author: Nalini Singh Slave to Sensation
Secrets from the Jerry Baker Test Gardens Over 1,436 Tips, Tricks, and Tonics from America's Master Gardener for Lush Lawns, Amazing Annuals, Eye-Popping Perennials, Beautiful Bulbs, Vibrant Veggies, and Much, Much More! by Jerry Baker Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh

message 3: by southpaw285 (last edited Mar 01, 2012 07:13PM) (new)

southpaw285 Please count me in for this one. My new genre will be Horror. My new author will be Joanne Fluke.

Southpaw's TLC Broaden Your Horizons Challenge - March 2012
Duration: 03/01/12 - 03/31/12

East: New Genre - Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill.

West: New Author - Joanne Fluke, Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill -- Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

message 4: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 2556 comments I'm not sure that I can complete the challenge this month. I've been having a real hard time with East as I read most genres except non-fiction which I just will not read. So we'll see...

I have 6 new authors this month but nothing for new genre. Now sub-genre..hmmm gotta go look at that.

READ: 0/2

East: New genre or sub-genre.
West: New author.

message 5: by Dana (new)

Dana (erato) @ Barbara: For those that are very well rounded in their reading, you can read what ever it is that is least prominent recently. Even if you have to ask yourself what you have read little of in the last two weeks. :) It is just to encourage you to pick up things that weren't on top of your TBR.

message 6: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 I finished this one today. It was alot of fun.

Southpaw's TLC Broaden Your Horizons Challenge - March 2012
Duration: 03/01/12 - 03/31/12

✔East: New Genre - Horror
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill==03.10.12***

✔West: New Author - Joanne Fluke
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder==03.04.12***

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill -- Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

**********Challenge Completed 03/10/12**********

message 7: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 2556 comments Dana wrote: "@ Barbara: For those that are very well rounded in their reading, you can read what ever it is that is least prominent recently. Even if you have to ask yourself what you have read little of in the..."

Oh well that will certainly make it easier. Gimme a sec while I browse me read list for March.

message 8: by Barbara ★ (last edited Mar 20, 2012 10:40AM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 2556 comments READ: 2/2

East: What the Night Knows - Dean Koontz
(I haven't read a straight out horror book in a while. Recently I've been more into paranormal and cozy mysteries.) 3/12
West: Merry, Merry Ghost - Carolyn Hart (new author) 3/10

What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz Merry, Merry Ghost (Bailey Ruth, #2) by Carolyn Hart