On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

A Confederacy of Dunces
This topic is about A Confederacy of Dunces

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Photobucket

Unfortunately, you can't sample Ignatius' favorite drink, Dr. Nut. By the time Toole's novel was published, The World Bottling Company of New Orleans was no more.

From a Dr. Nut Fan page:

New Orleans-based World Bottling Company produced soft drinks during the first half of the 20th century, including a unique beverage called Dr. Nut. Dr. Nut had an intense almond flavor, similar to Amaretto liquor. They also bottled products called "Grape Fruit", "Lou Breese" and "Sweet Mandy", as well as a ginger ale.

The New Orleans City Directory first lists World Bottling Co. Ltd at 600 Elysian Fields Avenue at the corner of Chartres, with John G. Gomila as President and Dr. F. R. Gomila as Vice-President, and gives them the distinction of being "Bottlers of Carbonated Beverages".

In 1938, the city directory adds Frank Gomila as Secretary-Treasurer and the Vice-President changes to Bertha Gomila, who in the 1942 directory takes the role of President, with no vice-president listed. By 1947, Mrs. J. C. Gomila is shown as President of the company, with Dr. F. R. Gomila as Secretary-Treasurer, and an address change to 2121 Chartres.

In 1950, the New Orleans Telephone directory lists the World Bottling Company for the first time as "Bottlers of Dr. Nut". The company is also listed in the 1951 directory, however in 1952, the listing for the Chartres address is Marine Welding.

Dr. Nut does not appear in the New Orleans Telephone Directory again until 1963, in a listing for Wright Root Beer Co. of New Orleans, Inc., with a new address, identifying their products as "Wright Root Beer - Wright Flavors - Dr. Nut" and adds, "Originated in New Orleans to suit New Orleans Taste".

http://www.angelfire.com/tn/traderz/D...

Lawyer Stevens

Jessie J (subseti) | 296 comments I wonder what Lou Breese and Sweet Mandy tasted like? Anyone know?

Jessie

Franky | 327 comments Thanks for the information, Mike. I know that this is Ignatious' comfort drink.

I always sort of pictured it being like a Dr. Pepper or something.

Kathleen | 127 comments According to drinksmixer.com, mixing 2 ounces of Dr. Pepper soda with 4 ounces of amaretto almond liqueur will result in an adult beverage that tastes like Dr. Nut. Golly, sounds awful, but if anyone is dying to know - knock yourself out!

Christa | 42 comments Well, as it is early morning on the west coast, I think I need to sincerely barf, then go to bed. . .