Literary Exploration discussion

What Are You Reading > What Are You Reading - March 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim What are you reading this mad month?

Firstly I must finish Marching Powder: A True Story of Friendship, Cocaine, and South America's Strangest Jail, Death Star and Three Bags Full.

Must also read Watership Down, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and John Dies at the End.

The rest will have to wait and see.

message 2: by Sandie (new)

Sandie | 39 comments I keep meaning to read Watership Down. I have seen the animated film for it and really liked it just other books keep popping up.

I'm hoping to read, other than Three Bags Full of course, Divergent, 1Q84, The Tiger's Wife, and The Da Vinci Code.

message 4: by Lawyer (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) Marlene wrote: "Maybe re-read Three Bags Full and read The Hobbit, The Once and Future King, The Help, Light in August, Torment, [b..."

You go, Girl! BTW, I voted for your theme. Grin And you can only blame me for THREE of those books. Well, maybe four. Who's counting?

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard no idea, just got a Kindle so am mopping up all the books i wanted to read but did not want to buy - if you see what i mean - so i'm on a dumb run of thrillers and biographies for the first 2 weeks of the month and am then going to get to the meatier stuff.
It's So Easy: and other lies, Micro, Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves, Heart of Darkness, The Idiot

message 6: by Lawyer (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) Let's see...March. The MUST reads...

Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann,
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole,
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The WANNA reads:

The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy
The Turn of The Screw and Other Short Novels by Henry James for the eleventy-seventh time. I've gotta keep a tighter rein on my group participation!

message 7: by Tasha (last edited Mar 01, 2012 03:45PM) (new)

Tasha Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life, A Tale of Two Cities, and whatever wins in the polls for my sci-fi/fantasy book club and graphic novel book club. I already finished Three Bags Full for this club.

message 8: by Franky (new)

Franky Okay, so I'm way behind the reads for previous months. Been too busy. I hate when I don't have enough time to read. For this month, I'll finish The Technologists, then move on to finish The Night Circus and hopefully others (Three Bags Full, A Confederacy of Dunces, The Night of the Hunter, Never Let Me Go).

message 9: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

raya (a little mango) (airtwit) | 15 comments I'd like to finish One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest this month, but I'm not sure it will happen. Otherwise, I have Three Bags Full, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Herland, The Yellow Wall-Paper, and Selected Writings, Last Night I Sang to the Monster, and a some cheesy YA novels waiting for me at the library. I'm hoping my request for The Fault in Our Stars goes through... I've been number one on the wait list since January and I'm anxious to read it.

Also: The Color of Magic. I can't wait to start this one, finally.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Knowledge Lost wrote: "If there is any time left after that, I might read Partials "

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. - Douglas Adams

message 13: by Moon (new)

Moon | 32 comments I need to finish Zelda. After that I am hoping to read some mythology related books from the library.

message 14: by Mary, Quiet Observer (new)

Mary (fruity) | 128 comments Mod
I still have a bit of Night circus to go, so hopefully I'll be done with that soon and I can start Three bags Full.
Still getting through the Scottish Prisoner as well, I imagine with all the book club books, I will be reading it for a while. Wish I had more time to read

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha  (samreads12) I've finally finished reading Crime and Punishment and plan on returning to The Ask and the Answer. This is 'trilogy' month for me. My hope is to start and maybe finish the trilogies that are on my to read list which include; Chaos Walking Series, The Looking Glass Wars, and The Heir Chronicles.

message 16: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Barlow | 97 comments Reading Wuthering Heights again because its been so long since i last read it. Think im going to read some classics this year aswell as the Game of thrones books.

message 17: by Lisa (last edited Mar 05, 2012 07:10AM) (new)

Lisa (leeees) I am struggling through Persuasion, then I'll read our book club pick Three Bags Full, then Lady Susan, and then hopefully I can get to 2 more- the goal being 5 books for this month... I'm not as fast of a reader as some of you all are!

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (zeldas) | 57 comments After Three Bags Full, I plan to read Atonement for another book group.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Willis I'm currently reading Lonesome Dove, Free-Range Kids, but will also pick up Three Bags Full.

message 20: by Maree (new)

Maree | 30 comments I just finished (really, about an hour ago) Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk: A Novel and started The Leftovers. I'm very excited because I got an e-mail from my library telling me that The Fault in Our Stars is waiting for me. I'm hoping to read It's Kind of a Funny Story and Einstein: His Life and Universe, and I'm also still in the middle of 1Q84.

message 21: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King this afternoon and it was brilliant! Now I've started reading Four to Score by Janet Evanovich.

message 22: by Janice (new)

Janice (janaz28) I am still reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, I hope to also get through Glennkill, Sherlock Holmes and Mere Christianity.

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (zeldas) | 57 comments Janice wrote: "I am still reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, I hope to also get through Glennkill, Sherlock Holmes and Mere Christianity."

I have started to read Strange& Norrell several times but do not beyond a few chapters. Please tell me it is worth the effort to continue!

message 24: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments My graphic novel obsession continues, thanks to my local library's expanding their collection from one tiny shelf in the Young Adult area to a huge section all its own. Still working my way through the latest stack I carried home. Stitches, American Born Chinese, and Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice have been the standouts so far.
I also need to start all my GRs group reads - that sheep book everyone's talking about, A Confederacy of Dunces, The Color of Magic, The Night of the Hunter, and Rebecca.

message 25: by Janice (new)

Janice (janaz28) Barbara wrote: "Janice wrote: "I am still reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, I hope to also get through Glennkill, Sherlock Holmes and Mere Christianity."

I have started to read Strange& Norrell several times..."

Well I am half-way through and I had to work on a lot of school projects and study for all the exams so I didn´t have the time to read for a couple of days. Last night I was finally able to continue and I must say I really enjoy it! The characters are well conceived and it really feels as if you are somehow part of the whole story! It basically comes down to a great style of writing! I guess I would recommend it:)
(ALthough, I should again say that I am only half-way through by now so my opinion of the book could change ... )
It is the first fantasy books I have read in years!

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi I just finished The House at Tyneford which was very good and different. I do tend to seek out English books. But I've picked up a new novel that sounds so interesting Defending Jacob: A Novel. The first pages captured me and I'm anxious to get started in earnest.

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (zeldas) | 57 comments Janice wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Janice wrote: "I am still reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, I hope to also get through Glennkill, Sherlock Holmes and Mere Christianity."

I have started to read Strange& Norre..."

Maybe I will try again!

message 28: by Moon (new)

Moon | 32 comments I'm reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen | 17 comments I just started "Wild Swans." I have done extensive reading about China and am really looking forward to this one.

message 30: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Moon wrote: "I'm reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods."

Can you tell me if you like it? I thought about buying it for a while, but couldn't get myself to do it. Is it any good?

message 31: by Kim (new)

Kim Marlene wrote: "Moon wrote: "I'm reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods."

Can you tell me if you like it? I thought about buying it for a while, but couldn't get myself to do it. Is it any good?"

Read it. Pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman is worth reading in my opinion.

message 32: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) | 289 comments Thanks for the advice! :)

message 33: by Janet C-B (last edited Mar 09, 2012 07:05PM) (new)

Janet C-B (goodreadscomjanbookfan) I am reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. It is kind of slow going right now. I am also reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 which is not slow going ! The detail of life in the 1950's in the US is truly incredible. I am not usually a fan of Stephen King, but I am loving this book. I recently finished "Defending Jacob." I expected to enjoy it based on reviews and the setting which I am very familiar with (suburban Boston area). I will be interested to see what Lori thinks of it. To me, it was a bit over-rated. I also finished ARC copy of a memoir by Anna Quinlan, journalist, "Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake." I could relate, being a woman baby boomer, but I think the fans of this book might be somewhat limited. Finally, I am waiting for my copy of Three Bags Full. It looks like my type of book.

message 34: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I've just started The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan.

message 35: by Kim (new)

Kim Currently working my way through Marching Powder: A True Story of Friendship, Cocaine, and South America's Strangest Jail (am a bit over the writing style though it has only been put aside so I can finish my book club reads), Watership Down (don't get what all the fuss is about, I'm finding it very slow going) and John Dies at the End (really messed up book, don't read if you get nightmares from scary things).

message 36: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "John Dies at the End (really messed up book, don't read if you get nightmares from scary things). "

Messed up? new Theme suggestion?! :P

message 37: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Barlow | 97 comments Im a good way in to A Clash of Kings and I have to say Im loving it. Everything else has been put on hold while i work my way through this series just hope i dont suffer burnout!

message 38: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (zeldas) | 57 comments I am still reading Three Bags Full. The premise of the book is sweet. I am hoping that the plot becomes more interesting.

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi Janet wrote: "I am reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. It is kind of slow going right now. I am also reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 which is not slow going ! The detail of life in the 1950's in the US is tru..."

We must have similar tastes. Major Pettigrew was a favorite read for me in 2011. I do see how it would appear slow reading but that English stuff just grabs me and the humor and odd to most romance was enchanting. I hope you warm to it. The Stephen King would be a challenge for me. I've read a few of his books from many years ago and don't plan to tackle his work again, even though I know how very good his work can be. I'm still at work with

Defending Jacob: A Novel and not getting too far. I hope I won't be disappointed. The Boston setting is familiar to me also and also the legal world brings back memories from my days as Legal Assistant.

message 40: by Maree (new)

Maree | 30 comments I started Three Bags Full, Barbara, put it down and never got back to it. You'll have to let me know if it ends well.

Reading a huge bio on Einstein. It's really interesting and delves into the science. Also still in the second book of 1Q84.

message 41: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Barlow | 97 comments Maree ♫ Light's Shadow ♪ wrote: "I started Three Bags Full, Barbara, put it down and never got back to it. You'll have to let me know if it ends well.

Reading a huge bio on Einstein. It's really interesting and delves into the s..."

How are you liking 1Q84? Im having a break before I read book 3. I think im putting it off because I don't want it to end or let me down. It,s been brilliant so far.

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim Still slowly plodding through Watership Down and amazingly that's the only book I'm reading. That's so I don't just drop it.

message 43: by Moon (new)

Moon | 32 comments I didn't really like American Gods as much as I expected to after all. I liked the idea of it, but I didn't like how the book turned out.

Anyway moving on to Kim Wilkins' Giants of the Frost. I'm liking it much better. I'm also reading Mark Twain's Letters from the Earth.

message 44: by Veljko (last edited Mar 16, 2012 01:37PM) (new)

Veljko (_vxf_) | 52 comments I am loving 1Q84, but I have only got to the end of book 1. So far, it got better and better with every page.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Veljko wrote: "I am loving 1Q84, but I have only got to the end of book 1. So far, it got better and better with every page."

Seems like a lot of people who read it have really loved it. I can't wait to read it, it's been on my bookshelf since I bought it when it came out. Will you be reading the book 2?

message 46: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I've just started reading Second Glance by Jodi Picoult this evening.

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim After getting through all my group reads I knocked over Eaters of the Dead: The Manuscript of Ibn Fadlan, Relating His Experiences with the Northmen in A.D. 922 and now continuing with my South America love with The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon.

message 48: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
just finished The Gunslinger & Shadow Game moving onto A Wrinkle in Time and then maybe Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

message 49: by Veljko (new)

Veljko (_vxf_) | 52 comments Agness wrote: "Veljko wrote: "I am loving 1Q84, but I have only got to the end of book 1. So far, it got better and better with every page."

Seems like a lot of people who read it have really loved it. I can't w..."

Sorry about the delayed reply.
Yes, I dove into book 2 as soon as I was done with book 1. I like book 2 even better than book 1. The story is getting more and more compelling. But it's not just that... it's the side-thoughts, the off-beat tangents the author takes that make 1Q84 more than just a compelling story. But the story is certainly very original - half way through the trilogy, I still don't really know what to expect, which is keeping my interest alive. And he has managed to do that with so little - few characters, few places. Super storytelling!

message 50: by Janice (new)

Janice (janaz28) After finally getting through Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell I was able to read this month´s group read Glennkill (Three Bags Full). I am now reading The Adventures of SHerlock Holmes I am surprised because I found that I like it a lot! I have always been rather scepticall and actually thought I would not like Sherlock Holmes at all. I guess I was wrong. After that I will have to read some German classics for school.

« previous 1