Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > We Need to Talk About Kevin *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Discuss.

message 2: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Still haven't finished it, I might eventually but I have a challenge at Koontzland to finish first.

The mother seemed like she was trying to be someone she isn't or perhaps grade A snobbery was just a way of life for her? I don't know but she doesn't seem real to me. I have a hard time with stories if the characters seem entirely too fake.

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Oh, I have a feeling there are many women like her in America, we just haven't met them.

message 4: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) I hope I never do.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Me, too. Couldn't believe how critical she was of everybody and everything. She was awful describing her in-laws, who were good, caring people.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments I really wanted to like this one a lot. But I got bogged down and kept waited for something to happen. I suppose if you are into character studies and how a dysfunctional family interact then this is it.
I know I should not be this way but I have got to hang my heart on at least one character.
I was most sympathetic to the mother but still did not like her. Hated the father (how stupid and blind is he?) and the cruel shit of a son.
Now we could get into fault ... parental societal etc.
I read for entertainment. How shallow am I?

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments LOL. You are not shallow at all, Michael. Most times I have to like a character to enjoy the story, but sometimes I just like to sit back and watch the drama play out. I guess I didn't dislike any of them, with the exception of Kevin, whom I consider a bad seed from the beginning.

message 8: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) To me it feels like the author is under the impression that ALL violent children are violent because of the failing of the parents(or more specifically the mother) and that just does not sit well with me. It put me on the defensive right away, so to speak.

I agree with you Michael I kept waiting for something to happen and gave up for now on it since I have so many other things I want to read. I may try again later but I'm not sure.

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Not sure I got that impression, Nora. It seems that from the baby's description there was something not quite right with him. At first I thought it was PPD from the mother, but I think she just sensed that early on that he was going to be different.

message 10: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) hmm, maybe you're right Tressa.
It could be I am overly sensitive to what feels like blame the mom.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments There was an incident that I did not quite understand concerning Kevin and his sister.

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments @ Nora
I almost put it down twice being the ultimate optimist I plodded on.I gave it 3 stars because it did provoke thought and emotions.

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I think it's a little fuzzy about what really happened at the house when Kevin and his sister were alone. She wouldn't pipe up and tell them he did it, so I guess they believe his story about how she did it (did she even claim she was careless or clumsy and that's how it happened?) and he washed it out and tried to save it.

I can only imagine how simply horrible it was that day alone in the house with him. Did he trick her into putting something in her eye? Did he do it himself? I don't know.

Nora, I think we mothers bristle when ever a mother is blamed for a kid going bad. Sometimes we do the best job we can, and they still go bad.

message 14: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Sure, sure. You start a discussion when I'm all talked out about it. Can I cut and paste from the What You are Reading thread? My mind is on another book now.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments no

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Tressa wrote: "I think it's a little fuzzy about what really happened at the house when Kevin and his sister were alone. She wouldn't pipe up and tell them he did it, so I guess they believe his story about how s..."
he had some sort of control over others. what did he say to other kids we never found out
but come on Tressa red lights should have come on

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Sorry I am three martinis in

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Aloha, I thought of all your long, wonderful posts. Yes, cut and paste it all here. Thought it would be a good idea for the book/movie to have their own thread so the discussions won't get lost.

Mardi Gras is over, Michael. :-)

I'm sure Eva knew he did it, but for whatever reason she didn't tell the police. Her husband I'm sure would hear nothing of how he was responsible.

message 19: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Pass some of that martini over here. I'm feeling hormonal this week.

message 20: by Aloha (last edited Mar 01, 2012 07:36PM) (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Thanks, Tressa. Maybe I'll reorder the paragraphs to make them seem fresh.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Tressa wrote: "Aloha, I thought of all your long, wonderful posts. Yes, cut and paste it all here. Thought it would be a good idea for the book/movie to have their own thread so the discussions won't get lost.

..."

that's not the deal
it should nave raised some red flags

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments ALOHA
I make a mean Martini.
You have to love the fish
Anchovy stuffed olives are the key

message 23: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments That sounds good! That reminds me of my college days when I used to make a sandwich out of anchovies sprinkled with tobasco sauce between two crunchy toasts. I crave that kind of stuff. My mouth is drooling thinking about that. I better put anchovy on the list. Oh, and thin slices of red onions will top the yummy flavor.

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Michael, are you drunk?

message 25: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Thpfffffffffff.......

Michael wrote: "That's not the deal
it should nave raised some red flags

message 26: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Well, Duh! I'm getting drunk by association.

Tressa wrote: "Michael, are you drunk?"

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Did I miss an earlier fish discussion?

Wish I were tipsy. I could go raid the bar...

Ugh, anchovies.

message 28: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments No. Michael was mentioning that it goes great with a martini. I could use a martini. The only booze I have is a year old beers from a guy I dated.

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments He must have passed out for the night.

We have a bar stocked with booze but we rarely drink. That reminds me that my tee-totaling mother mentioned that she may want to drink a margarita next time she's over. Will have to make her one Sunday. Lord knows what'll happen if the short ragin' Cajun gets drunk. God help us all.

We have some specialty beers in the fridge. They've been in their for weeks.

message 30: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I only drink socially. And I'm not very social. Good night, Tressa. I'm passing out myself.

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments 'Night.

message 32: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Tressa wrote: "Nora, I think we mothers bristle when ever a mother is blamed for a kid going bad. Sometimes we do the best job we can, and they still go bad.

Thank you. It means a lot to me to see that, although at the moment I can't fully explain but thank you.

message 33: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You're welcome. It's true and something I've seen happen many times.

message 34: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments That's true. On the other hand, I know plenty of crappy parents, too. The kids either go bad, or they're great. I think kids are born with certain nature that lean them toward being rotten tomatoes or gems. It depends on their environment how much of a rotten tomato or how much of a gem. Some of the best people I know came from terrible homes, but developed more compassion because of their bad experiences. Other people were given everything and unconditional love but became spoiled, selfish and egotistical.

message 35: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments I have to do some things, but I'll copy my posts about Kevin in here. Thpfffffff, Michael.

message 36: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments That's so true, Aloha. You just never know. I think people are born with weak or strong constitutions, and the weak are not able to overcome unfortunate parents or peer pressure. It's the strong ones who decide they want to better their lives so they go on to college or start their own businesses or anchor in at a good job because of their work ethic; or they choose to be loving parents if they were abused or not to touch alcohol if their parents were drunks. I think we good parents need to just do the best we can and cross our fingers when they start to become independent and follow their own course in life. It's sometimes hard to overcome a bad teen crowd; a lot of negative habits/actions are put in place then.

My heart breaks whenever I think of this situation: My sister is a nurse who worked with a wonderful lady who had a sweet son. He was a polite, smart, All-American kid who loved his family and baseball, etc. He got a job as a young teen working at a bowling alley. This bowling alley was the hangout of kids and adults who took and sold drugs. He became addicted and turned into a nightmare for his parents. He stole from them, disappeared for big chunks of time, and finally they just had to let him go. The mother told my sister that when he didn't call one Christmas Day, she knew it was over. He even told them the last time he talked to him that they were dead to him. Occasionally she'll spot him in town, bone thin, drugged out of his mind, and walking with his hooker girlfriend. I look at my son now and wonder if this could ever happen with him. You just don't know for certain.

message 37: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Drugs change a person, Tressa. I know full well about peer pressure. My first boyfriend, when I entered college, was addicted to pot. He surrounded himself with potheads and druggies. His two roommates was a pot dealer who was part of a big pot growing operation, and a cocaine dealer who at 21 looked as worn out as Mick Jagger with constant bloody nose. He also had a rotation of cocaine addicted girlfriends who'd trade casual sex to get coke from him. I tried pot and cocaine, but only once. I don't like anything affecting my perception. It's scary. When I tried the pot, I developed such a bad shake, I never tried it again. That was my ex-boyfriend's whole life, hanging out with these people. There was no other interests. I dumped him after a short while, but I became even more anti-drugs after that. I will not hang out with people who do drugs.

When I met my ex, he was recovering from cocaine addiction that had creditors chasing after him. He was clean as a whistle. He was a nice guy while I was supporting him, but he became awful after success. Money enabled him to buy alcohol, pot and pain killers. I will not hook up with anybody who smokes, do drugs, or drink more than socially, or get out of control drunk. What other people do, I don't care, but I won't have it live with me.

I talk to Aloha Jr. about drugs, and she's anti-drugs, too. She couldn't understand why people would do that to themselves. I told her that when her friends start getting into drugs, she'll understand about peer pressure. I told her it's best to stay away from people who do drugs.

message 38: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Not sure how prevalent drugs and pot were in my school, but I never did them, have never done them, won't ever do them. Never hung around with people in school who did them. Just not going to mess with my brain chemistry that way. That's scary.

Did not know that about your ex. Wow, no wonder you're happy you're single. I would be, too.

You're doing right by Aloha, Jr. I think she'll be a strong enough personality to resist peer pressure in any form. Luke's too young to talk to about drugs, but he's getting to the age we need to warn him about predators. I dread this because how do you balance teaching safety without making him fear every stranger he sees? It just breaks my heart for him to have to know there are such awful people in the world. :-(

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments I am highly insulted that it was insinuated that I was drunk last nite.
The pertinent question should have been "Michael, are you sober?"

message 40: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments LOL. Bet you have a beautifully pickled liver.

message 41: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) With Andre it was mental illness, he was a bipolar child. You can't look at a person and tell they are mentally ill so it was difficult when he'd have a breakdown in public.

message 42: by Char (new)

Char  | 13721 comments Mod
Right now this book is a quarter at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Need-Talk-About...

message 43: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments This book is also 25 cents on google books right now.

message 44: by Char (new)

I finally finished this one last night. I did not see it coming.
So was it nature or nurture?

message 45: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I think it's nature. I do think that some people are born to be bad. Aloha (I believe, lol) brought up a good point about how much of Kevin's odd, dangerous behavior is Eva projecting, especially when Kevin is a baby? However, if the mother's PPD or fear of being a new mom somehow made itself known to the baby and he reacted in kind, who knows. But his toddler, adolescent, and teen years he had two decent parents and still had a heart of stone and a desire to maim and kill.

message 46: by Char (new)

I think I am leaning towards your opinion, Tressa.
At first I thought it was all on the Mom as well, but then as the baby grew older other people were noticing his behavior. The mom seemed to be quite cold and also a beyaach! But I couldn't help but feel sorry for her as the story went on.

Did any of you guys see the end coming-not with the events at the school but with Celia and Franklin?

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments I just finished this and I am rarely surprised but I was by this book. I didn't think I would be as mesemerized by it as I was. I didn't like the mom at the beginning. It was hard to feel sorry for her when I felt like she was whining about the choices she'd made in life. I also had trouble with the character in general because she didn't feel "American" to me. I guess the dislike she had for the country made her seem, to me, like she was forced to come here from elsewhere as a child. I think Kevin's issues were there from birth. I almost hated reading this book because, before I started, I had gotten it into my head to write an "evil child story". I still want to write it but not be influenced too much by Kevin as a character. The one thing I dinged this book for was that the end became a bit too overly shocking for me, and that took some of the realism away. Kinda like how a war movie can be more shocking because the violence is real and subtle, while a horror movie's violence is a bit more over-the-top, which makes it entertaining.

message 48: by Char (new)

See what I'm saying?
But you think it took away from the realism? I hadn't thought about it that way, but now I am.

Did you have any more liking for Eva towards the end?

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments I did. I felt for her because Kevin's acts did seem intentional to forever lock her in a prison of wondering if she was somehow culpable and to have to deal with what he did. It's the place I imagine many mothers of school shooters are trapped in. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Charlene wrote: "Did any of you guys see the end coming-not with the events at the school but with Celia and Franklin? ..."

Oh, yeah. I knew Celia was doomed from the moment she was conceived. It's awful the way it happened. And a shame the dad was so shocked when it did. He shouldn't have swept everything under the rug and made excuses for Kevin. His wife kept trying to tell him.

« previous 1