SHSU Library Science Book Club discussion

The Scorpio Races
This topic is about The Scorpio Races
The Scorpio Races > SCORPIO RACES General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin (kperry) | 89 comments Mod
Share your thoughts and feelings about THE SCORPIO RACES.

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) I am buying an iPad today, and this will be the first electronic book I have ever read. Go me! Saving it for Italy trip - departing Wednesday!

Excellent. Have a great time in Italy. Also, I love reading on my iPad!!! I hope you do too.

Danis | 25 comments I am having a hard time getting into this book!

I just finished it last night. The beginning was a little slow, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. I also can't say how grateful I am that it is a stand alone.

***********COULD BE SPOILERISH***********

I really loved Puck's character. I love the stories her mother told her about when she was born. It rained and rained the days before she was born and when her mother walked outside and asked why the sky dropped Puck down and then the sun started shining. So cute!!

I'm sure part of her attitude came from being raised with brothers, don't you think?

Little Finn seemed to have some obsessive compulsive tendencies didn't he?

I think Mr. Holly was an interesting side character.

I wonder how much money she ended up winning total between her and Finn.

As far as time setting goes what does everyone think? So many times during the story I kept thinking it was set back in time a little, but then there was mention of the cars and stuff. What does everyone else think? Is it just that the isolation of the island made it feel that way?

I can't wait to see what you guys think about this one.

Tawnya | 17 comments Loved this book! I am so glad that I read it. I was very hesitant at first, but wanted to see what all the talk was about.

Tawnya, I'm so glad you ended up reading and enjoying it.

message 9: by Kristine (last edited Mar 18, 2012 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) Karin - first, I did enjoy reading on the iPad except that I had no concept of where I was in the story. With a paper book, you see how much is left and start thinking about how much time the author has to wrap up the story. I was very surprised when I hit the last page. Other than that, I think I will enjoy reading on the iPad. Way easier than toting books back and forth. Oh, and I love how you can search the book. I wanted to find a part again and I just put in the search word and found it easily.

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) Karin - I am glad you brought up the setting question. I really felt like it had to be set in the past - the American, Mr. Holly, seemed old-timey to me - but I think it was that life on the island stood still. There were intrusions from the outside world with the cars and Dory Maud creating a catalog for her wares.

I really enjoyed the book and found it a real page turner, but I wasn't happy with the ending. It was abrupt and though I think this is a stand alone, it seemed to leave it wide open for a sequel. . .

The descriptions were excellent and made it easy for me to fall right into the story. I felt like a fly on the wall. Those are some scary horses and now I'm interested more in the tales from which the author drew her inspiration.

I would not have picked this up on my own but I'm very glad I read it.

Danis | 25 comments I tried and tried, but this book just wasn't for me! At least now I will be able to recommend it to those students I think will like it!

Out of curiosity, Danis, what about it didn't appeal to you. Was there one particular thing that just kept bothering you?

Stephanie Sapp | 13 comments I too had a hard time with the beginning but that may have to do with the fact I listened to the audio version. I wondered if my inattentiveness was also due to the fact that I have come so accustomed to reading books that almost play out like a movie and this book seems to be more descriptive in its writing style. I wish I had a better picture in my mind of what a "sea horse" looks like. The ending was great.

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) Stephanie, that's interesting that you have a hard time imagining the water horses. I know when I listen to a book, I miss a ton because I am usually multi-tasking. (after all, can't just sit and listen, can we??) I have a very clear picture of the water horses. . .they are massive, like a Clydesdale almost, beautifully muscled, graceful, and colorful, (I pictured one of those big color-changing horses in the Wizard of Oz movie)but ferocious and a little wild-eyed. :-)

Tawnya | 17 comments Kristine wrote: "Stephanie, that's interesting that you have a hard time imagining the water horses. I know when I listen to a book, I miss a ton because I am usually multi-tasking. (after all, can't just sit and l..."

I have to agree with you Kristine. Maybe it is the difference between reading the book and listening to it. I could even smell the ocean on the horses as I was reading about them.

Danis | 25 comments Karin wrote: "Out of curiosity, Danis, what about it didn't appeal to you. Was there one particular thing that just kept bothering you?"

I didn't care for the blood, and (this is silly, but true) the way capaill uisce was italicized just irritated me. I could get past those two points, but the main reason was I just didn't get that spark with the characters. I didn't really care what happened to them. I didn't hate the book, it was just "blah" for me.

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) Danis, it's funny you mentioning the italicized capaill uisce. That really slowed me down every time I came across it. I wish she would have given them a nickname or something.

message 18: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dawn Burbach | 4 comments I tried. I really tried to read this book. Today I gave up. I hate to quit on a book, but I cannot get into it. It reminded me of an adult version of Misty of Chincotigue. (Another book at I did not enjoy and had to read!) Sigh...

Kristine Hall (kristinehallways) Dawn, I saw a review of this book that mentioned Misty of Chincotigue. Is that a children's book?

What was it that was the turn-off for you?

I did stumble on the horse name. A nickname would have been nice. Also, why italicize? Couldn't it be capital since it is a proper noun? Or is it?

Tracy J Hora | 11 comments I hate to admit, I had a hard time getting into this book too. I did finish it. For me, I think it was just too much violence with those poor horses. I know, there were people too, but those horses weren't choosing to participate in this. Weird... maybe, but I think that is what I didn't care for in this book.

Tawnya | 17 comments How are students responding to this book?

Good question Tawnya.