Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

Staff Book Reviews > "Wither" by Lauren DeStefano

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 38 comments Mod
I had recently started reading dystopian fiction. The first one that I read was the book “Divergent” which Jean reviewed in September. I decided to read the book “Wither” by Lauren DeStefano based on a recommendation from Amazon and thought that the plot sounded interesting.

A third world war has wiped all the world off of the face of the planet, except for North America. Science allowed mankind to eradicate all the diseases that afflict the world, like cancer, and prevent “flawed” children from being born. An entire generation of people were born without flaws and reach a normal and natural age, known as the “first generation.” However their children, children’s children, and so on, all have a disease that causes all women to die by age 20 and all men to die by age 25. Marriage happens at a very early age as some are desperate to preserve the human race. This also leads people known as “Gatherers” to abduct young women and sell them to rich men who need wives, into brothels, or if they are not acceptable to either, kill them. Rhine is one of these young ladies. She is 16 and lived with her twin brother, until she stepped into a trap set by the Gatherers, who then sold her and two other girls to a rich First Generation man, who marries them to his 21 year old son.

“Wither” is the first book in “The Chemical Garden Trilogy.” It was a book that I greatly enjoyed. It hooked me from the first page and keeps you rooting for Rhine. You feel her heartbreak at her separation from her brother and hope for her success in her plans. You feel how deeply she feels betrayed by someone she trusts and her desperation at being trapped within a home that she does not want. I just started reading the sequel, “Fever,” which was just recently released.

message 2: by Jean (new)

Jean Marshall | 12 comments Wow! That's quite a dystopian setting. I've got to try that book.

message 3: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kellismith) | 183 comments Mod
I agree. I think I will add it to my list.

message 4: by Aileen (new)

Aileen Finney (randomaccess67) | 2 comments Mod
I enjoyed this first book in the series. I wish I could say the same about book 2! I adore dystopian fiction, it is a great escape. I've discovered (and I hope this makes sense, not make me crazy!) That I don't like having 1 antagonist, I'd rather be fuming at the government or some other large entity!