Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Welcome to March 2012!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Hello everyone,

It’s a brand new month, so we have two new books of the month to discuss. For March, you selected:

March Fantasy: The Scar by China Miéville
March Science Fiction: Old Man's War by John Scalzi

There are a couple of starter topics up for each book, but please feel free to start more. If anyone wishes to volunteer to lead the discussion for either of these books, please let Stefan or myself know!

We also have our schedule set for the next couple of months:

April Fantasy: The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay
April SF: The Einstein Intersection by Samuel R. Delany

May Fantasy: Jack of Shadows by Roger Zelazny
May SF: Embassytown by China Miéville

In series read news, our ongoing discussion of The Honor Harrington series by David Weber is still going strong. We are currently in the middle of book 7, In Enemy Hands, and will begin book 8, Echoes of Honor, on March 15th. Topics for all previous books in the series are still open for discussion, so it's never too late to get involved if you are so inclined.

In short story discussion news, we will be repeating last year's project of discussing the stories nominated for the upcoming Nebula Awards, which will be awarded mid-May. The stories are all available for free online. There is a brief introductory post in the Short Story Discussions folder. Discussion threads for each of the seven nominated stories (including, of course, links to the stories themselves) will be going up later today. We had some great discussions last year, and I don't doubt there are some wonderful stories in store for us this time around, so please come join us!

That's it for now. Happy reading!

Stefan & Candiss
Moderators

message 2: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments FYI: I sent out a broadcast of this message on the 1st per usual, but due to major maintenance of Goodreads the night prior, group broadcasts got lost in a queued sort of limbo (according to the many mod complaints in the Goodreads Feedback group) and are just now resolving. I just (finally, 5 days later) got my Goodreads inbox and emailed copies of the broadcast, so I'm hoping the rest of the group is again receiving broadcasts correctly as well (assuming you don't opt out of that feature via your account options.)

message 3: by Traveller (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) This group rocks! That is a really great list of books there, I hope I can manage to squeeze in at least a few of them. :)