SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Monthly Nominations > April Book of the month (Secret societies/organisations)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
One Nomination per person (2 if you really can't decide).

The book you nominate must have something to do with Secret societies/organizations.

Nominations will be open until the 10th of March.

message 2: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I voted for this one, but now that I think about it I can't recall any books to do with secret societies. Oops. Well, a few with societies what aren't secret, but their goings on/members are secret. Does that count?

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm no, I'd say the society itself has to be secret.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

This was a really good read. It's the kind of book I think almost everyone here would enjoy.
If you're interested, here's my review.

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Secret Society (Secret Society, #1) by Tom Dolby or Angels and Demons (Robert Langdon, #1) by Dan Brown

message 6: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments I knew there was going to be a Dan Brown nomination

message 7: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
It had to be done :P

message 8: by Henri (new)

Henri | 122 comments I read all Dan Browns books... Don't think I will ever reread them...

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Mar 02, 2012 10:47PM) (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
I liked The Da Vince Code. That was also the first book I read. Then I read The lost symbol and saw that he did the same trick twice instead of thinking of something new. I could almost replace every single character of the Da Vinci code with one from the lost symbol also it got on my nerves with all the cliffhangers and short paragraphs. So I won't be rereading them either. Angels and Demons I haven't read yet and since I do like to finish what I start I might read it if it becomes book of the month. If not it will stay on my shelf for a while longer and be read once I have nothing else to read.

message 10: by Henri (new)

Henri | 122 comments Well you should not misunderstand me, I enjoyed all his books, but don't see them worthy of rereading.
If you read the others more than say 6 months ago, I think you should really give Angels and Demons a chance.
Its the first book in the series, and the one I enjoyed the most.

message 11: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments I read Angels and Demons first and then The Da Vinci Code and enjoyed A&D more. I think its the same for everyone who reads his books, the one they read first is the one they enjoy the most because the rest seem repetitive.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
That is my point exactly. I really like The Da Vinci Code and when I read The lost symbol I liked it too but only because I like The Da Vinci Code because in essence it was the same book. I wasn't surprised by what happened or the characters because I had read it before when I read the Da Vinci Code. Also the way the lost symbol was written got on my nerves because he kept switching from person to person. Sometimes you started a page with one person, read a couple of lines and then switched to another, read another couple of lines and then ended the same page with a third person. And this was a pocket book where there are only like 25 lines on a page. And it happened a lot! I found that annoying.
Like I said I will give Angels and Demons a chance but I need a reason to read it. It is not something I will pick up just because I want to.

message 13: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments The Mockingbirds
The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1) by Daisy Whitney
or
The Sixes
The Sixes by Kate White

message 14: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
If anyone is reading this, nominations are still open - seeing as the group message is not going through :(

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Don't worry, we already have 5 books for this one at least :)

message 16: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yea :)