Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2012-03 THE SCAR: roll call and initial impressions (*NO SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Please let us know if you're reading, planning to read, or have read The Scar by China Miéville.

No spoilers in this topic please!

message 2: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I started it a little bit ago and love it so far!

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2240 comments Mod
I read it years ago and loved it - if I have time (ha ha ha) I will skim it to refresh my memory for the discussion!

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Started this last week.
When I started it is was a bit overwhelming. Took a bit to get into it eventually I got into a groove and am liking it. My only complaint so far? The endless descriptions of Armada.

message 5: by Nikita (last edited Mar 01, 2012 08:19PM) (new)

Nikita (nikita42) I might not make it to the discussion for this one. I would prefer to read Perdido Street Station first. I know they can stand alone, but I really prefer reading books considered part of a series in order.

I have them both on my to read list, so I should get to them eventually, but I seem to find other books I want to read first.

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2240 comments Mod
Nikita, the term "series" is used very loosely here. The only connection is that they take place in the same world - not even the same location. One of the characters from The Scar is/was friends with one of the characters from Perdido Street station, it's briefly mentioned in the beginning of the book and never comes into the story again. The plots are completely unrelated.

message 7: by Stuart (last edited Mar 02, 2012 08:59AM) (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments Read it, one of my all time favourite novels.

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I had a really hard time getting through Perdido Street Station, but am finding this a lot more engaging.

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (gossamerchild) I would like to read this one, if I have time to get to it. It's a busy month!

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Maggie, I am just the opposite. I am having a heck of a time to get into this one.

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (gossamerchild) I'm also finding it easier to get into this than "Perdido Street Station." I especially enjoyed Shekel's introduction to reading and the library. I can't imagine what it must be like to be illiterate and I loved how he reacted to what reading opens up for a person.

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I am having a heck of a time getting into this book. Very slow going.

message 13: by Traveller (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) I haven't read Perdido Street Station yet, so I guess I have to do that first. :P

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Traveller wrote: "I haven't read Perdido Street Station yet, so I guess I have to do that first. :P"

I'm sorry....

message 15: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments i always picture bellis coldwine as leela from futurama for some reason. I love this book and only realised on my second read thats its as good as Perdido.

message 16: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I like this book much better than Perdido...maybe a mood thing I guerss! Anyway-you really don't need to read Perdido first, although they are in the same world, these are different characters.

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Still working through this one. Can't say I am really enjoying this one from China. So far almost 400 pages in and I have no idea where he is going with this.

message 18: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I am finally starting this one tonight. I'm looking forward to it.

message 19: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I'm about 200 pages along now, and I can't seem to stop reading. C.M. really has my number with this one...far more so than with PSS (which I really liked.) I like Bellis and relate to some of her personality, although I'd be thrilled to find myself in a city such as Armada. I appreciate it's schtick, for lack of a less-spoilery description.

This is the sort of urban fantasy I really love - where the city/urban area itself is a character and is the linch pin around which the (other) characters and plot revolve. I find it (the concept and this novel specifically) terrifically absorbing.

message 20: by Helen (new)

Helen Well now I'm intrigued! I haven't read any of his but downloaded the sample. Will start it after Fool's Errand.

message 21: by Ric (last edited Mar 16, 2012 05:36AM) (new)

Ric (ricaustria) | 28 comments Yes, I am! But am trying to work this in progression by reading Perdido Street Station first. Though, from what I have read of everyone's comments, the sequence may NOT matter as these are two very different novels. I'm glad you started this thread for the chance to discuss a book while I'm reading it. Pretty rare for me. Precious!

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (gossamerchild) Candiss, I would have to agree with you. I'm just about at the part where he's describing the park and it sounds absolutely amazing. I find Bellis very hard to like, but I can't completely disregard her reasons for feeling put upon. This still may take longer than a month for me to finish :-)

message 23: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I think what I like about Bellis is the fact that she has all these personal walls, yet realizes she is lonely and heartsick, and that it is all her own fault. She really stays true to herself. (At least so far)

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 136 comments Decided to have another crack at this one, now that I've ruptured my achilles tendon and will be off work for at least 3 months I should have some free time to get properly into it.

I remember really liking Perdido Street Station, this has the same otherworldliness to it, absolutely fascinating setting again, but this time the pace feels a little slow and drawn out. I keep wanting the action/storyline to advance just a little quicker, less than a couple of hundred pages in though, so maybe the pace will pick up a bit as we go on. Mieville does a cracking job with fantastic people and places so far.

I'll have a read of the spoiler thread when I've finished, shouldn't be much over 4 months behind everybody else.

message 25: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3219 comments Mod
Richard wrote: "Decided to have another crack at this one, now that I've ruptured my achilles tendon and will be off work for at least 3 months I should have some free time to get properly into it."

Ouch!!!! Hope you heal well. no complications.

message 26: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 136 comments Thanks Kathi.
Think I'm too old to take up tennis. Reading is a lot easier on the old body. Very glad to be getting some time to read though.