Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2012-03 THE SCAR: finished reading (*SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading The Scar by China Miéville.

Warning: Spoilers likely!

message 2: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments I enjoyed the ambiguity of the ending, how do others feel?

message 3: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 202 comments i enjoyed the ending and was glad it was a happier ending than Perdido.

I was gutted for the Brucolac as he was one of my favourite characters.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I did not enjoy the ending at all. It totally fit in with the story as written but the whole book was a disappointment for me and the ending was the icing on the cake

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I was pretty disappointed with this book. He built up set pieces of the plot but they all fizzled out. The raising of the Avanc, he built this up then it went without a hitch over a couple of pages. Then we have the fabled Scar, we only have a "possible" version.
I am quite surprised that this book won awards

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I liked it. It would have been interesting to see some more of the parallels, or possibilities, that could have happened. I thought there was a lot of fuel for thought though. The writing was beautiful...I felt like I was riding the Grand Easterly right next to Bellis.

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen I didn't enjoy it and really struggled to keep reading it. I too felt that the big plots were written over too quickly and also was sad that Brucolac was tortured. I found it hard to like Bellis or any of the other characters. Uther interested me but I felt he never came to anything. Guess we all need to like different books though.

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Exactly Helen. that was my problem. All the interesting Characters were sidelined. Uther and Brucolac could have been expanded. Mind you I didnt mind Bellis all that much. I also agree about the plot points. He built up certain points then it was almost like the air was let out of the tire and poof plot point gone.

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 136 comments Managed it at last, only 3 months behind you all.
I'm in the liked it camp. Didn't quite grab me by the scruff of the neck in the same way that Perdido did, but I'll put that down to having read Perdido first and had got over the total newness of Bas Lag. Like others here I found Bellis a difficult character to sympathise with, but enjoyed her journey out from New Crobuzon and back again, both physical and spiritual.
Armada didn't enthrall me as New Crubozen did in Perdido. I've never been one much for the romantic image of a roguish town of rascally Pirates, give me a colourful bustling trader city full of every type of person/being possible any day. Beautiful writing though, and when it got going the story was fascinating as well. Loved the variety of creatures and enjoyed the ambiguity involved in almost all the main characters.
I had no problem with the ending. The whole story seemed to subliminally be about Bellis's journey and possibilities. The Scar could represent the attaining of all possibles, a cool yet mystifying Quantum physics idea, its mystery and power totally diminished if a neat single conclusion ending was served up to us. The 'what really happened' question doesn't need answering for me, I can play with the evidence and come up with my own favoured possible, but with something like The Scar pouring out all possibilities, is it reasonable of us to ask "Yes but which one happened" rather than just be all Schroedinger's cat about it and saying "Well, what did you see."

message 10: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments I do care for Bellis as she seemed a well rounded character, rather than a character better suited to a video game.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Scar (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

China Miéville (other topics)