Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
St.Lucy's Home for Girls Raised > St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves: Stories - Discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (last edited May 12, 2012 08:12PM) (new)

Odette | 316 comments Mod
Our March 2012 book is St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves
by Karen Russell.
Who's reading?

(Side note: the shortened book title in the folder name isn't an error - the title was too long for allowable folder name lengths.)

Group Members' Reviews

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments I interlibrary-loaned it! Hopefully it'll be here within a week or so!

Kerry I'll read it, must request the copy from the library.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) | 65 comments me too Anatha! this book looks great, and after reading a couple of looooong books, I'm most definitely in the mood for short stories.

message 5: by Odette (new)

Odette | 316 comments Mod
I put it on library hold. Unfortunately there are already lots of holds on this book, so I may not get it until the end of March or April (but hopefully the people who get it before me will be fast readers :) ).

Sarah | 8 comments I read it. I haven't joined in on a discussion here for a long time, so I'd love to participate.

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments My copy finally came in from the library! Hopefully I'll be able to hop right to it soonish!

I hope you get your copy soon, Odette.

Brittany | 10 comments !! This is one of my favorite short story collections of all time, I can't wait to hear what people think of it :).

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Langrish (katherinelangrish) | 1 comments I've had it on my shelf here at home for ages - I'd love to read it and join the discussion!

message 10: by Reem (last edited Mar 21, 2012 02:04PM) (new) - added it

Reem (reemhkattan) | 49 comments Just got my copy. Will try to read and participate, but I do have a lot of reading and writing to do for my MA here at uni (which is why I haven't been on in a while). My assessments and dissertation are coming up. I will try and catch up when I can with all the books I haven't read and participated in and leave my feedback. Take care all :).

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments Brittany, I'm really liking it!

I haven't gotten through all of them just yet. The last one that I finished was "the Star-Gazer's Log of Summer-Time Crime." These stories are absolutely GORGEOUS.

My favorite so far has been "Haunting Olivia" (this may change once I finish the book?). I'm wondering what is your favorite story (so far), fellow readers?

Sarah | 8 comments I have to admit I liked the story titles better than any of the actual stories. They all felt unfinished to me.

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments I think she intended to let most of them be satisfactory, but I think another reviewer hit it right on the nose when she said it was more about the visceral and complicated emotions each of the characters had on this surreal, Florida island. That hanging, unfinished feeling should be slightly familiar, I'd think, to most people.

But you're right. The bulk of these fantastic stories did not have an actual ENDING-ending and that frustrated me to death, too. I don't do well with open-ended, either. :c

Kerry I suggested this book as I'd read so many positive reviews for the thing, but I have to say that after three stories I decided to call it a day. While I love reading strange and weird from time to time, this just didn't do it for me. I'd much rather read more Angela Carter.

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments Did the ambiguous story endings ruin it for you, too? Or was it something else? (I"m only curious; I still have one and a half story of the collection to go!)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.