Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Books LLC

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I noticed today that the Not a Book profile has a ton of the Dutch Wikipedia compilations from Books LLC, all which have the author credited to Ingram.

I thought the general consensus was that these were being considered books.

So... is there a filter that is causing Ingram to automatically import these as Not a Book, and should they be left alone or rescued from Not-a-Book-Land?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43600 comments Mod
Vicky wrote: "is there a filter that is causing Ingram to automatically import these as Not a Book"

I can check on that, when our devs have recovered from last night. ;)

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Vicky, can you link us some examples, please?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2012 11:14AM) (new)

Thanks, Luisa.

The librarian logs on those indicate that the only thing Ingram imports did was add a description. Some librarian must have merged the Dutch version of Books LLC into NAB.

message 6: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments The sources box thingy lists Ingram as the source for NAB as an author, I guess that could just be a weird side effect of the who data mess?

So long as there is no reason why they're being forced to NAB, I suppose I'll continue rescuing them. ;)

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Vicky wrote: "The sources box thingy lists Ingram as the source for NAB as an author, I guess that could just be a weird side effect of the who data mess?"

Actually, not really. That's because edits to author profiles show up on author edit logs, not book edit logs. The source box assumes that if the title is from Ingram and there's no edits in the log showing changes to the author, the source of the author is the same.

Definitely a bug, but not necessarily a fixable one.

message 8: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments That makes sense, good to know!