Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
This topic is about Fool's Errand
Realms of the Elderlings Series > Fool's Errand (Tawny Man #1) - Finished Reading *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Post your thoughts on Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb here.

Refresh my memory, as well: Do we have a discussion leader for the Tawny Man trilogy?

Enjoy!

Jon

message 3: by Sandra (last edited Mar 09, 2012 05:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments OMG, I'm not quite finished, but I bawled my eyes out and my dogs were whining and licking me. Had to stop for a bit. It's very very good.

Traci Hobb is one of the most emotional writers I've ever read. Love, love, love this series. I'll be starting soon. :)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Well, I finished it and loved it, but it's kind of hard to go on without Nighteyes. He was a wonderful character. And what a gift he gave Fitz with that last dream.

Traci I'm rereading it now. Still early in the book but I love Fitz here. I am his age and I can relate to how he feels. In your mid thirties your not young anymore but not yet old. I love how Hobb managed aging her characters so well. They're not exactly the same as they were but they're not completely different either. It's hard to put into words. But she did a great job.

And yes, Nighteyes was very sad although I guess shouldn't have been a surprise.

Traci I'm reading pretty slow actually but I have a few thoughts...

I hate Starling. Did in Assassin's Quest. And when I first read these. She's so self centered. And only cares about what people can do for her. And if it's not everything she desires than she wants nothing. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that Fitz has terrible taste in women, not a big Molly fan either, or if Hobb isn't as good with female characters. Although I did like the female lead in Live Ship.

I love the reunion of Fitz and Fool. Hobb is terrific at natural dialogue between two friends. Not much happens at the beginning. And it could be too slow for some. But I just enjoy her work on these two characters.

And also the dialogue between Fitz and Nighteyes. Nighteyes is actually pretty funny. He acts as almost Fitz's conscience, or inner voice, and at times seems the more human of the two.

When I first read it I was struck by the hedge witch telling Fitz that he has one true love that comes in and out of his life. One who stays faithful. And will return soon. He assumes it is Molly. Does anyone else? Opinions? At the time I didn't think it was coincidence that Fool comes in the next chapter.

Okay. I'll stop now. :)
But I did get to one of my favorite quotes tonight:
"Just as I knew you, and would know you when first I met you a dozen lives hence." I just find that beautiful.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I agree with your thoughts, Traci. And it's without doubt the Fool that is the love that comes in and out of his life. And Wastrel did a good job above of analyzing his losses/fears of intimacy. So perhaps in light of all that, it's easier to stand Fitz' continual avoidance of the truth and his maddening denial.

Traci Fitz's disconnect with emotions is addressed late in the series, Sandra. And it's a great twist.

I should be done soon. Anyway, here's another quote I loved:
"Little brother, do not treat me as if I am already dead, or dying. If you see me that way, then I would rather truly be dead. You steal the now of my life away, when you constantly fear that tomorrow will bring my death. Your fears clutch cold at me and snatch all my pleasures in the day's warmth from me."
I have lived my entire life thus far with a close relationship with my grandmother. She is getting older. And slower. But my family has never treated her as though she wasn't an independent woman. She's tough and stubborn. And I believe letting her live as she wants has a lot to do with it. This quote really touched me.

I'm really loving Nighteyes this time. Although as a cat owner and lover I do get a little tired of the cats are creepy and evil thing.

I've gotten to Fitz questioning who is the "real" Fool. That Golden is phony but just as real as Fool ever was. To me its obvious when he is being real. Hobb is a fantastic writer and this is one of the greatest characters I've read.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Yes, she really creates characters to care about.

Helen I finished a few hours ago, I sobbed. Had to take a break as I couldn't actually see then my cats started crowding me as I was upset. I knew it was going to happen but even so, and even with it being such a nice description. Still feeling emotional.

I felt that the love would be the Fool and love the way they are so at home together.

I agree with Traci; the characters are like older versions of themselves. It is like Hobb is writing about actual people rather than a created character. I too don't like Molly although I really don't know why. I'mnot keen on the howling bitch either. Especially when it was all 'oh Nighteyes is dead, how sad, shall we sleep together then'.

Don't know if I can wait to read the next, I'm supposed to be reading Mistborn and The Scar

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Helen wrote: "I finished a few hours ago, I sobbed. Had to take a break as I couldn't actually see then my cats started crowding me as I was upset. I knew it was going to happen but even so, and even with it bei..."

I couldn't stop and have read all three. Nothing touched me quite as much as Nighteyes, though. I was a sobbing mess, too, Helen.

Helen Was like it for hours, feel like I've lost family! I've actually gone onto The Scar.

Christy Martin Bullock | 12 comments I just finished this series about 4-5 months ago. All these comments are making me want to read them again. That scene when Nighteyes passes was so well written. Hobbs has such an ability to make you really feel the loss Fitz has sustained. I can't remember the last time I cried so much from a scene in a book.

I've already decided my next dog will be named Nighteyes:)

Suzanne | 212 comments Nighteyes made this story for me. In fact, I love him so much that I really didn't want to read the last 100 pages of the book. The things Nighteyes told Fitz throughout the book (several of which you guys quoted) were so profound! I like older Fitz more than I liked younger Fitz (even though I didn't dislike young Fitz), and I hope to learn more about good uses of Wit and Skill in the next two books.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fool's Errand (other topics)
The Scar (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin Hobb (other topics)