Armchair Sailors discussion

Nautical Dictionary

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I found an interesting little treasure the other day at my local library (which is odd since I live in the Midwest): "Ship to Shore: A Dictionary of Everyday Words and Phrases Derived from the Sea." Sorry I had to paste it in; the site let me add it to my books, but couldn't find it when I wrote the post. Great for those that like using nautical words and phrases throughout the course of their day!

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Francisco (GRFrancisco) | 1 comments Thank you, I'll look into it. Appreciate the information.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5 comments Thanks for the reference!

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5 comments Looks like there are used copies available on Amazon. For goodreads search for its author Peter D. Jeans to get a graphic of the cover.

message 5: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 12 comments I have a copy of A Sea of Words: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian and find it invaluable when reading 'Age of Sail' books.

message 6: by Justo (new)

Justo (seabeatnik) Thanks for the references! I am actually writing a sailing/nautical short story right now and this a big help!!

message 7: by Jon (last edited Jan 19, 2014 03:10AM) (new)

Jon | 2 comments Justo wrote: "Thanks for the references! I am actually writing a sailing/nautical short story right now and this a big help!!"

Hi Justo

Sorry only just joined the group and seen this. Have you got "Seamanship in the Age of Sail"
Seamanship in the Age of Sail An Account of the Shiphandling of the Sailing Man-of-War 1600-1860, Based on Contemporary Sources by John H. Harland
It's an invaluable source of information.

message 8: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 12 comments Jon wrote: "Sorry only just joined the group and seen this. Have you got "Seamanship in the Age of Sail", Based on Contemporary Sources
It's an invaluable source of information. .."

That looks great, very high ratings. Unfortunately it also appears to be a VERY expensive book, several hundred dollars used.

message 9: by Jon (last edited Jan 20, 2014 02:06AM) (new)

Jon | 2 comments Hi Andrew

Yes, I've seen those ridiculous prices advertised as well!! You'll just need to shop about a bit. I picked mine up from Amazon for about £30 a couple of years ago. Not exactly cheap, but not the extortionate price those jokers advertise it for. (Just checked and there's a secondhand one for sale for £25 at the moment, not sure on US postage rates though)