Goodreads-aholics Anonymous discussion

Your book count

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jud (new)

Jud Barry | 7 comments What does your book count represent? Does it include all the books you remember ever reading?

For some reason, I made mine the books I've read (or supposedly will read) since starting GR.

I'm considering going in and reconstituting my lifetime reading list. But it was so long ago when I read so many things, and I should re-read them. Do I need a "to re-read list" as well? Please say no.

message 2: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 2 comments NO!

message 3: by Jud (new)

Jud Barry | 7 comments [relieved sigh]

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

no

Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader) (theeveryfreechancereader) | 2 comments no to re-read list...although a list of book I always reread may not be a bad idea! ;)

message 6: by Jud (new)

Jud Barry | 7 comments @Chrissy: books rated 6 stars?

message 7: by Jud (new)

Jud Barry | 7 comments my to-read list is the runt of the litter, and by some ways. our moderator is possibly the champion of the world in this category, though ;-)

message 8: by Jacki (new)

Jacki (infinitereads) I add books as read that I remember reading as a child and definitely don't consider it inflation. I don't see why GR shouldn't be a lifetime reading list. There's no reason to say books you read before turning 18 don't count. You still read the book, and in many ways, those books we read as kids are more important than what we read as adults because they helped form us.

message 9: by Opal (new)

Opal (thehypermonkey) Oh no! Goodreads is what you make it.

I also have added books as I've read them. There's no way I could remember books I've read in my lifetime. I'd have to go back to my childhood years and I just don't remember!

Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader) (theeveryfreechancereader) | 2 comments @Jud -- books rated 6 stars would be a great idea!!!

message 11: by Dani Alexis (new)

Dani Alexis (danialexis) | 3 comments Mod
I also rate things I remember reading at some point in my life. Partly because the ones I remember were generally the good ones and I want to share that, and partly because it seems to help Goodreads recommend things.

I'd love a six-star rating. Also a zero-star rating ("please never recommend anything like this again"). Maybe even a negative-one star rating ("the world is poorer for the publication of this book"). ;)

message 12: by Jacki (new)

Jacki (infinitereads) I have a never-again shelf for books I particularly hated or which were just of incredibly poor quality since there's no zero-star. I once had an author contact me and ask why his book was on that shelf, though, and that was awkward! :)

message 13: by Jud (new)

Jud Barry | 7 comments omg Jacki I hope it wasn't a Mafia memoir!

I'd really go for a minus-one star. However, most of the books I'd put on that list I was unable to finish, e.g. Atlas Shrugged. I tried. God knows I tried. And then God revealed to me that Dani Alexis was live-blogging her reading of it. Recycling cardboard was never so much fun!