Shut Up & Read discussion

The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
This topic is about The Iron King
Archives > The Iron King by Julie Kagawa - March

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Mar 01, 2012 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12348 comments Mod
Discuss The Iron King here! Use (view spoiler) please!!

Enter the March BotM contest here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

Tanecia  (books101) | 3795 comments Mod
Ahhh! I can't wait to read this book. I have been dying to read for a long time. But I will be reading cinder first though. :)

message 3: by Christie (new) - added it

Christie Rich | 335 comments Tt wrote: "Ahhh! I can't wait to read this book. I have been dying to read for a long time. But I will be reading cinder first though. :)"

I've been wanting to read this forever. This gives me a good excuse to just do it. lol

message 4: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I actually checked this out at the library a couple of months ago but had to bring it back before I had time to read it :( I'll make sure to get it in this month!

Elise (redentrapy) | 246 comments Great, fascinating, vivid story. Written like a faery tale. Courageous, inspiring heroine. Shakespeare characters brought to life in the most imaginative and fun way. A romance that grows and changes right before your eyes. All in all a great read.

Kari Note: If you haven't read A Midsummer Night's Dream, you might want to before you read this book. The author uses established characters from this book in Iron King. I wish I had read Midsummer first.

message 7: by Christie (new) - added it

Christie Rich | 335 comments Good to know Kari! Thanks.

message 8: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks for the heads up! I've read it, but it's been years...

message 9: by Christie (new) - added it

Christie Rich | 335 comments Me too. I saw the play again a few years ago, but I don't know that I would remember everything I would need to read this.

Anastasia | 373 comments i love this book! I've read all of them. there's action, magic, the characters are great, i think you will all enjoy this book. :^D

Alycia Linwood (alycia_linwood) Aww, this is one of my favorite books ever! I really loved it, couldn't stop reading and had to immediately read the rest of the series. Awesome characters and interesting plot. :D

message 12: by tif (new) - rated it 4 stars

tif (tiftoland) | 24 comments I really really liked this book. I wish I had time to just blow through the whole series, but there are so many books I want to read, and so little time! Once I finish Article 5, Dearly, Departed, and Cinder I think I will go back and read the rest of the series. It was that good, for me at least.

That Slytherin Girl Reads  (shereadsatnight) This book is just AWESOME! :D
I loved everything about it.
The characters were awesome. I liked Meghan and Ash they're just so cute together.

message 14: by Kari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kari Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "This book is just AWESOME! :D
The characters were awesome. I liked Meghan and Ash they're just so cute together."

I agree, but I think Meghan and Puck are cute together also - which makes it hard to cheer on one of the guys.

That Slytherin Girl Reads  (shereadsatnight) Kari wrote: "Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "This book is just AWESOME! :D
The characters were awesome. I liked Meghan and Ash they're just so cute together."

I agree, but I think Meghan ..."

Well yeah I kind of agree with that too because in Iron King I was all Meghan and Puck but after I read the next book and the book after that, Ash took my heart away. :D

Jacqui (jacqui-lee) | 37 comments I have read this series and it is great I actually had to get all of the books including the books in between books Great read.

My book should arrive sometime next week and I will read asap so we can discuss. :D

That Slytherin Girl Reads  (shereadsatnight) Tt wrote: "My book should arrive sometime next week and I will read asap so we can discuss. :D"

Yeeeeyy! :D
This book is so good you won't be disappointed.

Just got my copy in the mail and the cover is awesome! I read a little bit so I cant say if I like it or not :D

message 20: by Tanecia (last edited Mar 14, 2012 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

has anyone started reading this one yet? Or has everyone read it but me lol

message 21: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven't read it yet...I think I'm going to wait until the end of the month.

Tawna | 479 comments I just finished reading this and I liked it a lot. Ash already stole my heart away! Puck is solidly in my friend book. I will read the rest of the series.

message 23: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary | 28 comments I'm about halfway. I guess I'm the only one who can't enjoy this book. :/

Lauren (lauren_elena) | 60 comments I read the series a couple months ago and they are fabulous. If you go to her website you can find the two short novellas that come between the books.

.I'm actually liking this book so far. It's starts of great and that's all I need to keep me going.

message 26: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary | 28 comments I started warming up to it around the halfway mark.

Belkis (bminaya) | 603 comments I'm planning to read this next week so that I can just keep going with the entire series without having to wait. But can't wait to read it have been waiting and wanting to read this series forever!

Lauren | 10 comments I read the book a month or so ago, recommended by a friend. I wasn't a fan of the start of the book, a little slow in places. By the end I did enjoy it, and I Love Ash ;)
I will read the others in the series out of interest in what happens with Ash and Meghan....

message 29: by Alicia (last edited Mar 19, 2012 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alicia I just finished reading the Iron King today! I loved it, and I really hope that we could read the next in the series for next month. I just waiting for the poll results to see if we could do it - if not, I'm going ahead.
By the way, I love Ash and Puck equally - sometimes I lean more towards Puck, sometimes Ash (especially during the end of the book for Ash, but then I remember how Puck was there for here a the beginning of the book, and it starts all over again).

Jenifer (jensamaha) I was really disappointed with this book. :(

Deniece (onebookishbabe) This book was really good. I'm excited to read the rest of this series.

I haven't finished it yet but I'm glad it won for our series read along -BOTM :-) you guys rock! How many book are their anyways?

Cristy (warhol315) I loved this series!
There are currently 4 books with 2 short ebooks in between...but it looks like she has a 5th planned now :D

Alley Kat (alleykat666) IT was a very good book! I loved it!

message 35: by Tanecia (last edited Mar 25, 2012 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alley wrote: "IT was a very good book! I loved it!"

Lol, your picture gets me every time. I always laugh when I see it around the group. Is that Boots?

message 36: by Tanecia (last edited Mar 25, 2012 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alley wrote: "IT was a very good book! I loved it!"

Lol, your picture gets me every time. I always laugh when I see it around the group. Is that Boots?

Alley Kat (alleykat666) Tt wrote: "Alley wrote: "IT was a very good book! I loved it!"

Lol, your picture gets me every time. I always laugh when I see it around the group. Is that Boots?"

No it's Jayfeather from the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. It's due for a change but I don't know what to change it to.

message 38: by Hope (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hope I just finished this weekend. It took a little while for it to grow on me, but I ended up really liking it. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Deeann (forevereader61) | 50 comments I am almost finished with Iron King !! It took some time for this book to grow on me too ! Now I am glad that I stuck with it !! I am looking forward to reading the other books in this series :)

message 40: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily | 180 comments I started and finished yesterday. It was a surprisingly awesome read! Posted my review. I have already set up the next two books of the series high up on kindle list so I continue the story into the next month.

Awesome recommendation guys!! I am not sure I would have picked it up on my own, and I am really happy that I was exposed to this read!

I still haven't finished this one yet but I plan on starting back up this week. I actually got right into the book after the first chapter. Hopefully i will like it all the way through. :D Yes, thanks for the recommendations because I am having a blast reading some of the books you guys vote for!

message 42: by Ilah (new)

Ilah | 4 comments I am over halfway through with the book. I am enjoying the book so far.

However, I think Meghan often comes across as a bit too damsel in distress for my taste.

Deeann (forevereader61) | 50 comments Ok ... finished with the first book and starting on the Winter Passage ... I think that one is next ... I agree - Meghan needs to toughen up !!

Lauryn (zeldafitzlauryn) I finished this book just the other day! It was so good, I just love stories that involve the Fey.

I do think that Meghan needs to toughen up, but she definitely had her strong moments.

Does anybody else just love Grimalkin? I just adore him. Haha.

message 45: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily | 180 comments Well considering that this girl gets thrown for a ridiculous amount of loops in this story, and has her reality completely turned upside down, I think she was tough enough. Ya she is a damsel in distress, but man, I'd be peeing my pants every 5 minutes running through Nevernever with some disappearing sarcastic little cat (I love you Grim) and strange little creatures trying to figure out if they can boil me for dinner, or some swamp creature with sharp teeth wanting to experiment her singing to see if she can lure me to my death.

Not to mention some 3 headed crazy ferocious creature that shows up at this Fey get together. That's a scary ass monster. Anyone play God of War? This three headed thing packs a mean bite!

So, her weak moments in this story kinda make her more believable no? At least, that's how I felt about her character. I tried to put myself in her position... and I probably would have perished within 5 seconds of stepping foot in that place. LOL

Rebecka Lily wrote: "Ya she is a damsel in distress, but man, I'd be peeing my pants every 5 minutes running through Nevernever..."

That made me laugh so hard! It's so true though if you think of it like that.

Deeann (forevereader61) | 50 comments Ur right about her reality being turned upside down......I am glad u put that in perspective for me.....I guess the strength of katniss is too fresh in my mind ;)

Melissa (melstephensbooks) I think Megan was pretty strong. She went to save her brother who's technically only her half brother. She could have just had Robbie give her the wine and been ignorant to it all.

Here's my review of this book http://harleybearbookblog.blogspot.co....

I think it was hard for me to get into it because it was the first faerie book I read other than the faeries in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I'm excited to try Julie's vampire series that comes out soon though. That's more my style.

message 49: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin (erincapobianco) | 64 comments ok... so I enjoyed this book, and thought that it was pretty awesome. I can not believe that Meggie was blind to the fact that Puck loves her... I caught that right off the bat.

I am torn, I like both Puck and Ash. Although, Ash is hot and cold with her through out the entire first book, yet she still tries. He is even more cold with her in the second book.

I am really glad that they rescue Ethan, and that she beats the Iron King, with an extra surprise in store for her in the next books to come.

message 50: by Tanecia (last edited Apr 02, 2012 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin wrote: "ok... so I enjoyed this book, and thought that it was pretty awesome. I can not believe that Meggie was blind to the fact that Puck loves her... I caught that right off the bat.

I am torn, I ..."

Omg, I did not just read that.....

« previous 1