Leisurely Reading discussion

Choosing a book

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 2 comments Mod
Out of the four books I have given you, please choose one for all of us to read.

Schools Out Forever
"Adventure, fighting, backstabbing and love abound" (VOYA) in this action-packed follow-up to the #1 New York Times blockbuster MAXIMUM RIDE: THE ANGEL EXPERIMENT, now available in paperback. The heart-stopping quest of six winged kids--led by fourteen-year-old Max--to find their parents and investigate the mind-blowing mystery of their ultimate destiny continues when they're taken under the wing of an FBI agent and attempt, for the first time, to live "normal" lives. But going to school and making friends doesn't stop them from being relentlessly hunted by sinister spies, who lead Max to face her most frightening match yet: a new and better version of herself.

Sold
Lakshmi is a thirteen-year-old girl who lives with her family in a small hut on a mountain in Nepal. Though she is desperately poor, her life is full of simple pleasures, like playing hopscotch with her best friend from school, and having her mother brush her hair by the light of an oil lamp. But when the harsh Himalayan monsoons wash away all that remains of the family’s crops, Lakshmi’s stepfather says she must leave home and take a job to support her family.
He introduces her to a glamorous stranger who tells her she will find her a job as a maid in the city. Glad to be able to help, Lakshmi journeys to India and arrives at “Happiness House” full of hope. But she soon learns the unthinkable truth: she has been sold into prostitution.An old woman named Mumtaz rules the brothel with cruelty and cunning. She tells Lakshmi that she is trapped there until she can pay off her family’s debt—then cheats Lakshmi of her meager earnings so that she can never leave.

The Lost Hero
After saving Olympus from the evil Titan lord, Kronos, Percy and friends have rebuilt their beloved Camp Half-Blood, where the next generation of demigods must now prepare for a chilling prophecy of their own:
Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

The Things A Brother Knows
Levi's older brother Boaz returns from fighting with the Marines in the Middle East. He's safe. Levi's family has waited three long years for this. But Boaz is no longer the brother Levi thought he knew. Even if nobody else wants to see it, Levi can tell that Boaz has changed; something's wrong. When Boaz announces he's off to hike the Appalachian Trail, Levi knows he's lying. He's heading somewhere else. So Levi follows, determined to understand who his brother was, what he's been through, and how to bring him home again.

message 2: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Tate | 2 comments Hi Katherine,

The group decided to read "Sold" as their book. They seem really interested in the topic, so I'm excited to see what they come up with. :)

Lyndsey

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Jeffrey | 13 comments "Uglies" has a really hard/different topic to write about but the way the autor wrote it was very interesting.

message 4: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 11 comments We are reading Uglies now by Scott Westerfeld. It is a very interesting book because the time frame is set in the future. I think the book is a little weird in the begginning but then it becomes very interesting in the middle once you get into it. I like how Shay thinks becuase you can't but a sterotype to beauty!

message 5: by John (new)

John Goodlaski | 13 comments i like uglies way more than sold. it just is more interesting and all around more enjoyable.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Storm | 13 comments i have read sold and didnt enjoy it. i'm glad we switched. although i'm not far enough into the book to decide if it really enjoy it or not, the topic is interesting. i just wish it was more realistic. i'm excited to see how it turns out

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 2 comments Mod
Hi guys, how far are you into the new book?

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Jeffrey | 13 comments almost done

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Storm | 13 comments im not very far actually but i feel like i'm getting more into the book the further i go. there is actually more excitment! i think i'll be done soon

message 10: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Riggs | 19 comments Depending on how far you are, do any of you think Tally should get the operation? Or do you think she should stay ugly?

message 11: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Riggs | 19 comments This book leaves so many choices to Tally! It makes me think of what I would do if I was her. Do you think that you'd give up your ability to think independently if it meant that you'd be pretty forever?

message 12: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Riggs | 19 comments Samantha wrote: ""Uglies" has a really hard/different topic to write about but the way the autor wrote it was very interesting."

I agree it's so hard to come up with these posts on our views about the book. All of us have completely different opinions on the book, I think it makes talking about it more interesting though.

message 13: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Riggs | 19 comments Elizabeth wrote: "im not very far actually but i feel like i'm getting more into the book the further i go. there is actually more excitment! i think i'll be done soon"

At the beginning it was kind of boring, but once you get towards the middle things start actually happening and it gets a lot better.

message 14: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Riggs | 19 comments Caroline wrote: "We are reading Uglies now by Scott Westerfeld. It is a very interesting book because the time frame is set in the future. I think the book is a little weird in the begginning but then it becomes ve..."

I think it's scary how its in the future! Like the author is trying to blame us on the outcome of his imagination.