Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Wheel of Time > The Wheel of Time Starts Turning Next Month

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jon (last edited Mar 01, 2012 07:17AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments One month from today, we will begin reading the epic fantasy series The Wheel of Time started over twenty years ago by Robert Jordan and being completed by Brandon Sanderson (who also happens to be the author of our other series, Mistborn, starting in April 2012).

I have avoided re-reading this series in the last five years, holding out hope for the light at the end of the tunnel. With the announcement from Tor in February for a tentative publication date of January 2013 for A Memory of Light , I feel ready to tackle this series from the beginning with a fresh start. My plan is to accumulate the ebook versions one-by-one of this series throughout the year, thereby enabling me to make annotations and highlights quickly and easily. For those of you who prefer reading a traditionally published book, Tor also announced the re-release of the entire series with new cover art in trade paperback format throughout 2012.

I will contact Brandon Sanderson and see if he's up for a Q&A author thread. I do not know how much he would or could participate in the early books (especially since he's in the middle of the final copy edits of A Memory of Light).

I look forward to reading along with you and leading (or attempting to lead) the discussions of this iconic epic fantasy series.

Jon

message 2: by Traci (new)

Traci This was my first "big girl" fantasy I started. I was thirteen, maybe younger or older, and had first fallen in love with fantasy with the Weis Hickman Dragonlance books. At the time they were very intricate for me. I devoured each book that was out. I think maybe seven or eight, my memory isn't as good as it could be. When I was done there were other books to read. I discovered other loves. And I got left behind. With the announcement of the last book I decided to do a reread and catching up so I can read it too. I have found books I like more but I have to see how it all ends.
Btw. I'll be reading it on my nook too. :)

message 3: by Dana (new)

Dana | 27 comments I would like to join in with you all. I first read Eye of the World when I was 16. I remember I was hesitant to start reading it, because I had never read anything that long before. It was intimidating for me. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down though. I have since re-read this series at least 15 times, maybe more. I lost count after awhile. Reading the earlier books are like sitting down with an old friend. It's my ultimate comfort read.

The last time I did a re-read was right before the Gathering Storm came out. I've only read Brandon Sanderson's books one time each. I'm really looking forward to reading these books with a group.

I have all the books in hardback except for one (The Dragon Reborn is my original paperback copy that is literally falling apart at the seams), but I'm thinking about getting copies on my nook as well. Those hardbacks just don't travel as well. :)

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Dana wrote: "I would like to join in with you all. I first read Eye of the World when I was 16. I remember I was hesitant to start reading it, because I had never read anything that long before. It was intim..."

Me too! I bought The Eye of the World on a whim off the grocery store book aisle. Thinking back on that time, I am just flabbergasted that my grocery store even had a fantasy novel on it's book shelves, let alone this one. And, yes, my original paperback is falling about every which way but loose. I helped preserve it by laminating it with clear plastic, but that's even starting to show it's age. My hardcovers collect dust (and will continue to) since I plan to use the Nook Color to full effect during this final re-read.

message 5: by Melinda (new)

Melinda VanLone Can't wait to get started, it's been a long time since I read the first book in this series. Told myself I was going to as soon as they finished the last book, so count me in!

message 6: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 61 comments Excited to join in this re-read before the last book comes out! I started re-reading these while Sanderson was re-reading them some months ago and commenting regularly on facebook. Unfortunately, life took over and I didn't get all the way through. I have read all the published volumes, most of them twice.

I, also, intend to purchase the e-book copies for my Sony Reader. I have all but the first 5 in hardcover but they're too large to read one-handed, which is necessary when handling an infant at the same time!

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen I haven't read them before but I shall have a read of book one on my kindle and see what happens.

message 8: by Brent (new)

Brent | 39 comments I am excited about starting this series. I have a question about a book in the series called New Spring...should I read this before I start Eye of the World?

message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Brent wrote: "I am excited about starting this series. I have a question about a book in the series called New Spring...should I read this before I start Eye of the World?"

No, I wouldn't. We will read it later, probably between #10 and #11 (publication order I believe). I forgot to add it to the list of books in our bookshelf.

message 10: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
Although New Spring is a prequel-the things they are doing don't really 'click in' until later...I think if you read it first it would just make more questions instead of answering them....lol

message 11: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Taylor | 1 comments I would love to read this series I really just got into fantasy last year. I read all 12 books in a couple months. I'm addicted to the wheel of time and look forward to reading them again to prepare for A Memory of Light

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 05, 2012 03:29PM) (new)

I am currently reading through the Malazan books and don't think I could handle two long epic series at once. Think I will have to pass on this one, but I do have these firmly planted on my TBR pile and will probably start once I finish with the Malazan books. Will have to go and check in as I read them. I have gone and read through each of the discussion folders for the Malazan books when I finish them and enjoy the insight and discussion, helps to cement some of the more important facts and tidbits. Will do the same with Wheel once I get started on it.

message 13: by Will (new)

Will | 4 comments I just finished rereading the last half of this series, I'd been wanting to catch up on the new releases but couldn't quite remember what was going on in the story. I had a great time reacquainting myself with Jordan's world and got myself all pumped up to read the final book. However I can't do that yet because it doesn't exist so I thought why not join you guys and start all the way back at the beginning.

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I just wanted to say 'Thanks!' and 'Wow!' to all those who have expressed their desire to read (or re-read) this series with us.

Thank you for joining us!

message 15: by Mach (new)

Mach | 41 comments I have already started on a reread, i read until book seven but i stopped because i remembered alot and felt a need for something new. But i can now wait for you guys to catch up before i go back to the reread. I will of course add a comment or two when i have the time.

message 16: by Layla (new)

Layla (laylathelitwitch) I'm excited to start this! Bought the first 3 in a boxed set last week.

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Baxter (smallblondehippy) | 8 comments Stephen wrote: "I am currently reading through the Malazan books and don't think I could handle two long epic series at once. Think I will have to pass on this one, but I do have these firmly planted on my TBR pil..."

I'm reading the Malazan series too. I'd really love to re-read WOT though. Oh, I don't know what to do now! I don't think I could have the two on the go at the same time though.

What I find really weird about WOT is that it gets me thinking about when I read the first book. It was so long ago that my life was completely different - I was still a kid! How can one series span so much of my life?

message 18: by Anna-louise (new)

Anna-louise | 2 comments I'm looking forward to this :) i have read the first and i really enjoyed it! I have the second book waiting to be read so i think i will wait until everyone is reading so i can join in the discussions.

message 19: by Andy (new)

Andy | 1 comments Can't wait. I never read these before and am really looking toward to it

message 20: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 7 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Stephen wrote: "I am currently reading through the Malazan books and don't think I could handle two long epic series at once. Think I will have to pass on this one, but I do have these firmly plant..."

I am also reading through the Malazan series (finally about to start Memories of Ice), and do not think I can handle WOT at the same time. Eye of the World was my first fantasy novel, and helped open my eyes to the world of fantasy. When I eventually re-read the series, I am very curious to see if it stands up to the test of time, as I read most of the series when I was a teenager.

I hope to be able to chime in from time to time.

Enjoy!

Jonathan

message 21: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) | 0 comments I am so excited! For this series and Mistborn. This will be a first read for me on the WoT series and I dont think i would jump in without the accountability the monthly discussions will hold for me. Despite the small amount of participation on my part, I'm always out there reading! Bought book one and would have started reading but i LOVE Mistborn.

message 22: by Siv (new)

Siv (minnea) I will join this as well, since I've got to get these books a proper re-read before the final one gets here =) I've read the first 6 or so volumes far too many times, but the later ones still makes me go "huh, have I read that before" when I flip through them....

I need this!

message 23: by Naydene (new)

Naydene | 5 comments I'm just on the last few books of Malazan now. I've been wanting to read this for ages and I just don't think a trilogy is going to cut it after Malazan. I have gotten so much out of the Malazan discussions (even though I'm behind the group) so I'm really looking forward to another long series and another group of readers to share it with.

message 24: by Shawn (new)

Shawn I will join in on this. I actually have only read up to the end of book 5 and lost interest many years ago. I've been meaning to get back into this series!

message 25: by Travis (new)

Travis | 11 comments Looking forward to this! I had read up to a point, but would always forget what was going on by the time the next book was ready.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), my job has me driving a good bit and I often have 6-8 hours of quality time for audiobooks. Thanks to the wonders of Audible.com, I am listening to the entire series from start to finish. Currently, I'm about 1/4 into "Towers of Midnight" and praying my memory holds out for "Memory of Light"!

message 26: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Welcome Travis.

And a great big 'Thank You!' to all of your for joining together in this re-read of the Wheel of Time series.

I can't wait to finish my current ebook so I can jump back into The Eye of the World.

message 27: by Gally (new)

Gally Hey there! I'm Gally, new to the group.

This series has been on my list of books to read for a couple years so I'm excited to start and discuss it with a group. Hopefully I can bring one or two friends to GoodReads so we have more contributors.

Cheers!
-- Gally
http://lestismitethee.wordpress.com/

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 4 comments New to the group but excited to be here!

Wheel of Time is the series that actually got me into fantasy. I had read Tolkien and dabbled a bit, but nothing really ever entranced me like WoT did. A friend made me read the books, and from the first chapter I was completely smitten.

As many others here, I am currently reading the Malazan series which (for me), doesn't really welcome mixing it in with other books, as it is taking a lot of focus (in a good way of course). But I did only wrap up my re-read of WoT late last year, so I'm hoping to still browse other people's opinions of the books, especially the later ones.

I recommend WoT to everyone I know, and have gotten a few people into the series. I hope everyone will love it as much as I do.

message 29: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Glad to have you both here, Sarah and Gally.

I'm so excited to have so many enthusiastic WoT readers joining the group read.

Welcome one and all!

message 30: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli The is a very pleasant surprise. I'm new to the group and I only read the first 2 books a few years back, so this might be the perfect opportunity to really get into the whole WoT series. Count me in. :)

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine (christine01) | 9 comments Dana wrote: "I would like to join in with you all. I first read Eye of the World when I was 16. I remember I was hesitant to start reading it, because I had never read anything that long before. It was intim..."

Hi Dana! Just wanted to say that i have the first three books to this series in paperback and mine really aren't in the best shape either... I just bought myself a Nook Color as an early bday present and would like to join in on the book club read as well... This would be my first time reading the series and my first Nook book!

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine (christine01) | 9 comments Hello everyone! I am new to the group as well and i have been trying to read the first book in the Game of Thrones... I am also going to try and join in on the reading of The Wheel Of Time! This would be my first time reading the series but i am really excited to do so! Especially on my new Nook color!

message 33: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 874 comments Mod
I have never read this series and maybe reading with the group would be a good way for me to do it.

message 34: by Christine (last edited Mar 31, 2012 08:28AM) (new)

Christine (christine01) | 9 comments Kathi wrote: "I have never read this series and maybe reading with the group would be a good way for me to do it."

Hi Kathi! I am also a first time reader to this series.. I just hope I can keep up with it...

message 35: by Heidi (last edited Mar 31, 2012 10:50AM) (new)

Heidi | 71 comments Hi, I'm new to this group and I'd like to join with you guys in reading the Wheel of Time series.

I started reading WoT for the first time in the 90s (when I was in high school) and I really love the series. I've read most of the books 3 or 4 times and reading them again will be like meeting up with old friends, I can't wait! It's been more than 5 years since I've reread any of the books.

I've been eagerly waiting for the last book to come out so I can reread the entire series from start to finish, so now seems like a good time to start!

I own paper copies of all the WoT books but I recently got a Kindle so this will be my first time reading these books on my Kindle.

message 36: by Rob (new)

Rob | 38 comments Hey all. Just joined this site and group a few weeks ago and looking forward to joining in. Like many on here WoT was one of my first fantasy series, ans some of the only books I've ever paid for hard back copies. I read them ( and re-read all the previous ones) as they were released up until the 8th or 9th so am interested to see how they compare to my memories, as well as see what Brandon Sanderson has done to the series.

Just bought an e-version of Eye of The World tonight, my paper copies are long gone. And I have to say, I much prefer the old cover to the new...

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) This will be my first time reading WoT. My boyfriend talked about it all the time when he was reading the series a couple of years ago. He owns all the books. I'm so glad we're doing a series read, it is the motivation I needed. I'm just a little nervous about keeping the characters straight. I did fine with ASOIAF, but this seems like a whole new level.

message 38: by Mpauli (last edited Apr 02, 2012 10:20PM) (new)

Mpauli Jenny wrote: "This will be my first time reading WoT. My boyfriend talked about it all the time when he was reading the series a couple of years ago. He owns all the books. I'm so glad we're doing a series read,it is the motivation I needed. I'm just a little nervous about keeping the characters straight. I did fine with ASOIAF, but this seems like a whole new level. "

I only read the first 2 books so far, but regarding scope you should be fine, if you can keep up with ASoIaF. Comapared to the amount of characters in GoT and CoK, the cast of the first two WoT books wasn't that challenging.
And I don't assume that we are going to deal with another cast as in Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. That was outright scary...

message 39: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) Mpauli wrote: "Jenny wrote: "This will be my first time reading WoT. My boyfriend talked about it all the time when he was reading the series a couple of years ago. He owns all the books. I'm so glad we're doing ..."

Thanks, that's good to hear. I'm a few chapters in now and the more I read the more I feel I'll be able to handle the characters.

message 40: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 874 comments Mod
I'm not going to get to this for several weeks, despite good intentions, so i'll just read the discussions and add my comments even if I'm way behind the group.

message 41: by Alena (new)

Alena | 5 comments I, too, have been waiting patiently for all the books to be written. The first time I started the series, I only made it to book 7. Now that the end of the series is finally announced I can jump in with all four paws lol

message 42: by Scott (new)

Scott Muller | 1 comments I have enjoyed Brandon's take on the last three. I struggled with books 8-10. They rambled and seemed to go nowhere. I'm looking forward to the last installment.

message 43: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 3 comments I have started the wheel books last October. So far I am on book 5. I would love to wait so I could read while the book club is, but alas I want to be ready when the last book is published. So finishing the other books is topish priority. I have a friend that is reading it right now so I may pipe in with his input.

message 44: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Brandon wrote: "I have started the wheel books last October. So far I am on book 5. I would love to wait so I could read while the book club is, but alas I want to be ready when the last book is published. So fini..."

Pipe in whenever you like. We will be here for the duration and beyond.

message 45: by Jax (new)

Jax | 17 comments Hi there...

At the moment I'm driving my hubby nuts, as I refuse to read Towers of Midnight until closer to the release of Memories of Light...

I was lucky, and was only introduced to the series 10 books into the series... so I just continued non stop!
Sadly, I'm back to biting my nails in anticipation of the next novel!

I agree, Brandon Sanderson did a great job with the W.O.T!! Especially with Matt's character! He was funny before, but now I find myself literally laughing out loud at some of his scenes.

message 46: by Margot (new)

Margot (freezebaby) Ooh, that's nice to hear about Matt. Gives me something to look forward to. I've only read to book 9 and Matt's was definitely my favorite story line. I've been dying to pick his story back up since the (view spoiler).

message 47: by Jax (new)

Jax | 17 comments Margo you have a nice treat in store!
Matt just gets funnier and funnier! and the poor boy really has no idea how to deal with the female species, which is just hysterical!

message 48: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 61 comments Not to redirect the thread, but I thought readers of this series would like to know that TOR recently announced that they will be opening their own ebook store later this summer (DRM-free!). One more place to buy the Wheel of Time ebooks! I hope they offer some good deals/discounts to encourage traffic.

message 49: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Lindsey wrote: "Not to redirect the thread, but I thought readers of this series would like to know that TOR recently announced that they will be opening their own ebook store later this summer (DRM-free!). One m..."

I can't wait. I've already purchased the first three (with DRM) but it would be awesome to be able to purchase the rest of the series DRM-free.

message 50: by Evilynn (new)

Evilynn | 68 comments I'm rereading the whole thing too, in anticipation for the last book of the series. I have read book 2-6 a lot of times when I was younger (I started reading the series when I was about 13 years old and The Great Hunt was the second ever book I read in English, because I couldn't wait for the Swedish translation any longer!), but from book 7 and onward I've only read everything once and I stopped when Jordan stopped, so to speak, so it'll be the first time around for the Sanderson books. I'm not sure how in step with the group I'll be, but I just started The Dragon Reborn, and I hopefully I'll catch up soon.

« previous 1