Fantasy Aficionados discussion

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance, #1)
This topic is about The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Group Reads Archive > March 2012 Epic Fantasy Group Read: The Hundred Thosand Kingdoms

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Mar 02, 2012 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Read, discuss, Use Spoiler Tags!! :-D

Some things to consider while reading:

Religion
Class
Race
Sex (as in male vs female)
Narrator voice

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I have this book, but unfortunately I probably won't be able to read it this month. I'm looking forward to it.

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I have this book, but unfortunately I probably won't be able to read it this month. I'm looking forward to it."

I've started it. It's...hard to get started but still interesting at the same time. If that makes any sense.

I need to adjust the above to include class.

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments Woot. I quite liked this one -- interested to see all your thoughts on this. :)

Traci I hadn't even noticed this was a group read. It's a favorite and has been awhile so I think I'll read it again. =)

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Traci wrote: "I hadn't even noticed this was a group read. It's a favorite and has been awhile so I think I'll read it again. =)"

That hurt. *sniff*

It's been posted forever. *sniff*

Traci Sorry. I've been a bad member the past month or so. Too busy. But I started it. :)

Traci Hey, the discussion was posted March 1...

Lol.

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Traci wrote: "Hey, the discussion was posted March 1...

Lol."

Yeah, but I posted the "soon will be reading" back in Feb.

*nods*

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments Traci wrote: "I hadn't even noticed this was a group read. It's a favorite and has been awhile so I think I'll read it again. =)"

Have you read the other two books in the trilogy? How are they? I'm thinking my next book purchase will be the second one.

Traci I liked the second one even more. And it made me look at the first one differently. A character I hated in the first became one of my favorites. I liked the third one but it wasn't as good. Like the first the sequels are basically romances and the third romance is a little on the creepy side. Good. Just not as good.

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Traci wrote: "I liked the second one even more. And it made me look at the first one differently. A character I hated in the first became one of my favorites. I liked the third one but it wasn't as good. Like th..."

huh. Something to think about.

Traci The first time I read this the beginning was a muddled mess of politics and racial prejudices that I didn't get. Reading it again of course it's making more sense. I sort of liked the style of the wandering narrative. Yeine tells the story mostly in a straightforward manner but I like the diversions. The hints of so and so happened and remember this. Although I know it drives other readers crazy.
This is my second time so commenting without too many spoilers is a little hard. But regarding Sieh up to chapter ten...(view spoiler) I think that was one thing that drew me to Jemisin's writing. Imo she's very unconventional.

message 14: by Scarlet (last edited Mar 03, 2012 12:13AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarlet I've read this book last year and I'm not about to reread it anytime soon..if you are wondering, No I didn't vote for it.
This book is just not my type, I simply couldn't love Yeine or even remotely like her,which is a problem when reading her point of view, so I ended up hating the book all together...I can't remember exactly what I hated about it but it was one of this books that I felt miserable while reading it.. since I'm a fighter I struggled all the way through it,and I'm still proud.
I was actually considering reading the next book but my sisters didn't recommend it, they said I may not hate it as much but I probably won't like it either.
Though it feels kinda weird to be trashing a book when everyone else likes it.

Traci I still like it, but I probably will knock down a star this time... It's not quite as...artistic (?) as I remember.

Even though the romance takes awhile to kick in, I do consider this more of a paranormal romance than straight fantasy. I have found that people who read this and wouldn't be caught dead with a pnr book usually hate it.

Traci Btw Scarlet, you can trash. It's a group read not a fan club. :)

Up to chapter seventeen,
Regarding Yeine's mother...(view spoiler)
Regarding Enefa, Nahadoth, and Itempas...(view spoiler)
Regarding Yeine and Enefa...(view spoiler)
I do have to admit there's a shallowness to character development that I glossed over my first time. The emotional connection between characters is pretty flimsy.

message 17: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol. | 2616 comments Just started last night. I wasn't expecting young adult for some reason. I can see where the narrative structure would drive some readers a little crazy, as Traci said. I'm not a big fan, but it's tolerable at the moment.

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Mar 03, 2012 08:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol wrote: "Just started last night. I wasn't expecting young adult for some reason. I can see where the narrative structure would drive some readers a little crazy, as Traci said. I'm not a big fan, but it's ..."

I'm only a chapter in...

It's YA? *face palm*

I'm not a big YA fan. And I'm super picky about what YA I read (not a lot and it's all really old stuff from a different generation with rather different morals and writing styles).

Huh.

Traci I don't consider it YA. Maybe PNR like I said before.

Suzanne I didn't feel like it was young adult - the themes, etc. didn't feel YA to me (although kind of like MrsJoseph said, these days it's hard to tell!)

I agree with what Traci said above about Yeine and Enfa (but don't read it unless you've read through chapter 17!)

I thought the social system with the gods as slaves was interesting, and my favorite part of the book was probably discovering how that happened. I didn't really connect with any of the characters, and didn't have any desire to go on and read the next installments.

There is a podcast interview with the author on Sword and Laser (the interview is spoiler free). I'm not seeing a great way to post the rather long link, but if anyone wants to listen to it, you can go to swordandlaser.com and search for Jemisin. The interview cast is the first one that comes up.

message 21: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (last edited Mar 03, 2012 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol. | 2616 comments As I said, I'm not that far in, but at the moment it reads like YA. I don't find it particularly sophisticated in writing style. Themes at the moment are about family, obligation and role in the world. Characterization is kind of thin. The heroine is small ("a nine year old--about my size"), sounds young and still behaves impetuously, not recognizing hostility in front of her face. Those themes echo young adult, to me; older teen, perhaps, but the "voice" does not sound mature or confident. Sexuality wouldn't surprise me at all, because I feel like "modern young adult" often takes very adult themes and attempts to make them a young adult book (Holly Black comes to mind). IMO, it's usually not done well, which is why I stay away from the genre.

Oh heaven, I hope it doesn't go all PNR on me. Next time I'm totally voting.

message 22: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina (reginar) Traci wrote: "I don't consider it YA. Maybe PNR like I said before."

Oh, then I may pass. I am not a fan of PNR.

message 23: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol wrote: "Oh heaven, I hope it doesn't go all PNR on me. Next time I'm totally voting. "

lol!

Traci Actually it's reminding me a bit of Poison Study this time and that's YA so I guess I might change my stance, I kind of see how it could be considered YA.
But because an author's writing style isn't sophisticated doesn't automatically make it YA. Could just mean the author isn't very good. :)

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Traci wrote: "Actually it's reminding me a bit of Poison Study this time and that's YA so I guess I might change my stance, I kind of see how it could be considered YA.
But because an author's writing style isn'..."

I really enjoyed poison study but wasn't a fan of the 2nd book too much. Never finished the series.

I've been so moody with my reading lately. Oh, well...

Traci I don't think it's straight up pnr. It just has elements of one. There's no graphic sex or anything of that nature. It just reminds me of a lot of pnr I've read, toned down.

message 27: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol. | 2616 comments Traci wrote: "But because an author's writing style isn't sophisticated doesn't automatically make it YA. ..."

To be clear, I don't mean that in a bad way. Perhaps because one of the other books I'm reading off and on is
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I phrased it the way I did. I'll have to think about how to articulate it better.

Traci I knew what you meant, Carol. And I even agree to a point. I still like it. But I don't Love it this time. I almost hate rereads, its a rare book that lives up to the first time.

Traci Up to chapter twenty seven (almost done)...Regarding Yeine and Nahadoth...(view spoiler)

Suzanne About Yeine and Nahodoth I agree Traci. (view spoiler)

message 31: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina (reginar) For me PNR means that the story is primarily driven by romance -- the romance and the happily ever after is the entire point of the story. But a fantasy or urban fantasy story or mystery or whatever can have romance and sex and I still like it. For me, it is whether the story is driven by romance or not -- is this one of those?

Traci No. It's not. It's got politics. Religion. The romance doesn't really come into the picture until late in the book.

message 33: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina (reginar) Oh -- okay, that sounds perfect to me. :) Thansk Traci.

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments Yeah, the romance is there but it's not the main focus. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance, but the themes of class, colonialism, and slavery were interesting enough for me to overlook it.

message 35: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina (reginar) Valerie wrote: "Yeah, the romance is there but it's not the main focus. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance, but the themes of class, colonialism, and slavery were interesting enough for me to overlook it."

Those are exactly the themes that made me buy the book over a year ago.

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) | 338 comments Valerie wrote: "Yeah, the romance is there but it's not the main focus. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance, but the themes of class, colonialism, and slavery were interesting enough for me to overlook it."

I think these themes are much, much better explored in her second book, The Broken Kingdoms. I found the narrative of HTK to be very disjointed, which ended up distracting me too much to fully appreciate what she was trying to do with Yeine. The plot was paced too quickly to allow a nuanced presentation of those themes to occur naturally, and instead the author (view spoiler). I read this about a year ago, though, so if that was incorrect, please forgive me.

One thing I love about this author is her talent at naming characters. Nahadoth and Itempas are such great names.

It's definitely not YA, though. There's no dystopia, vampires, color-coded social alignments or any other identity-building tropes for teenagers.

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments I will definitely have to buy the second book ASAP, then!

message 38: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (last edited Mar 06, 2012 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol. | 2616 comments I might check out the second book. I found it overall a very unusual story, if somewhat disjointed. The narrative voice made it confusing, and I think some of the impact that religion has on the world-building was lost. I also felt like Yeine was a confusing mix of immaturity and adult; it was hard to tell if it was a writing problem, or a backstory problem or deliberate. I frequently had a hard time believing her as someone brought up to rule a country, no matter how small or impoverished.
I have no idea yet how I'm going to review it. The slavery theme is dealt with in an unusual manner, if somewhat incomplete. I don't know--there's so much that's hard for me to articulate about it. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, although I feel like there's room for improvement.

And I definitely wouldn't call it PNR. :)

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) | 338 comments I listened to the second book on audio, and the narrator was just great. I was actually crying by the end...real tears! It was so sad. I'd like to give it a hundred thousand claps, if I could.

Traci I liked the second one better too.

The reason why I don't see it as a true YA book is (view spoiler) I know so old fashioned of me. :)

I don't consider it a true pnr either but having read more than my share of them Nahadoth would fit right in any of them.

message 41: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina (reginar) I can't wait until I have time to read it - I wonder if the first book is narrated by the same person. I am going to have to check that out.

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) | 338 comments Regina wrote: "I can't wait until I have time to read it - I wonder if the first book is narrated by the same person. I am going to have to check that out."

Yup, it's the same narrator. Her voice is gorgeous, I could listen to her all day.

message 43: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina (reginar) Thanks, I bought this ebook when it was onsale for 1.99 about 18 months ago, but I will never get to it. I am going to see if I can track down an audio version.

Sabrina | 2 comments So I joined Goodreads and Fantasy Aficianados months ago, and kind of lurked around never feeling comfortable joining in on the conversations.. Then, I (honestly) forgot about the website... Well I am finally reading a book club book! I'm so excited, and can not wait to discuss it! (I am about 10 chapters in, but am going to stay away from the boards until I finish, so that I don't accidentally spoil anything for myself or let other peoples opinions of the book shape my own until I have had a chance to create an opinion). :D Can't wait to discuss!

message 45: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol. | 2616 comments Glad to hear it, Sabrina. Join in when you are ready!

Traci Sabrina, everyone's really nice and friendly here. No worries. I'm the quietest most shy person you could meet in life but here I'm very comfortable.
:)

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) | 338 comments Hi Sabrina! This is definitely a cool group, lots of great discussion, and I've made some good friends, including Carol up there!

message 48: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new) - rated it 3 stars

carol. | 2616 comments Awww. Thanks, Chelsea!

Elizabeth Risley (ElizabethRisley) | 44 comments I'm starting a bit late - but hopefully I can catch up - just downloaded to the kindle.

Julie (the_blue_butterfly) | 7 comments Just finished it yesterday. I absolutely loved the way it was written. It is really disjointed, but I actually enjoyed that. The conversational style was really interesting, complete with false-starts and side notes. For me, the characterization was strong and the setting was wonderfully original, but ultimately it was the unique writing style that I really appreciated.

« previous 1