Stephen King Fans discussion

The Green Mile
This topic is about The Green Mile
Talk about the Novels > The Green Mile

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee (beelindee) I have finally gotten around to reading The Green Mile. I've had the movie sitting on my DVR for about 3 months now, but I wanted to read the book first. I have been reading sections of the book and then watching that section of the movie. It is a great book and a much better movie than I expected. I'm almost done with both the book and the movie.

message 2: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2577 comments Mod
I haven't read it before, my mom has it in little editions. I think six different ones or something. So I guess it originally came out as a series. I think the movie is outstanding!

Elena | 17 comments Here in Italy it was sold both as a series (of six little books) and later, as a one-book edition, the one I've read. The book is great, one of the best SK has ever written in my humble opinion... And the movie is great too, I end up crying every time I see it! Even if it's an imaginary story, it's a powerful act of criticism against death sentence. And here SK ivnestigates again after Insomnia, with a more successful and interesting result, the world of the elderly, who still can love, hope, be alive.

Steve | 247 comments King originally published the novel as 6 editions just to experiment with the "penny novel" mode of publishing that Dickens and old American Western writers did back in the day. (much as he also experimented with the e-books The Plant and Riding The Bullet). Good movie...I don't think anyone but Michael Clarke Duncan could have been John Coffey.

The only difference between the book(s) and movie is that there [MINOR SPOILER:]

is no nasty orderly who gives the narrator a hard time in the present-day era.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 29 comments I have just read The Green Mile for the second time, I first read it when it came out in 6 parts so you had to wait a month or so for the next one. This time I read them all one after another and enjoyed them more second time round. I also love the film and its one of my all time favourites.

Gatorman | 561 comments Agrimorfee wrote: "King originally published the novel as 6 editions just to experiment with the "penny novel" mode of publishing that Dickens and old American Western writers did back in the day. (much as he also ex..."

I don't think your spoiler worked.

message 7: by Char (last edited May 08, 2012 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Char I have also loved this story. I read them in (and still have)the original 6 book form. I hated waiting in between though!
A sad aside: when my Dad was dying 9 years ago, he develped a fascination with the movie. I watched it with him over and over again. (I think he may have been wishing for John Coffey to come and suck out his cancer). Since then I have had a really hard time watching this movie. It did seem to make my Pop feel better though. : )

message 8: by Stefan (new) - added it

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments I actually found the serial format to be kind of fun. Yes, I would finish one and have to wait impatiently for the release of the next, but I thought that the wait time just made the continuation of the story just that much better...and then I'd have to wait again for more of the story. I also guarantee you that I was at my local Waldenbooks at opening on the day of each release.

Char Stefan, SAME HERE! LOL. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. : )

Gatorman | 561 comments One of my favorite King books. A perfect example of just how talented an author he is even when not focusing on horror or thrills.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (deanwinchesthair) | 6 comments I have both versions, but yeah, if i had to choose i'd have to say that this is probably my second favorite king novel[after the stand, of course!]

I cried so hard reading this, my parents were alarmed and thought something had happened to me. Well, King happened to me i guess. excellent novel.

message 12: by Dean (last edited Dec 02, 2012 05:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dean Henryson (dean_henryson) | 8 comments Gatorman wrote: "One of my favorite King books. A perfect example of just how talented an author he is even when not focusing on horror or thrills."

an amazing story with characters I really cared about. I really didn't want what happened to John to have happened.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Just started reading this. It'll be my second time, the first was back around 2000 or so when the movie was coming out. Just started the first chapter and I'm hooked already, don't want to put it down.

Trent (stephenkingaddiction) | 152 comments Movie came out when I was in Jr High so would have to be mid 90s got it on vhs before I had a dvd player

Trent (stephenkingaddiction) | 152 comments Okay came out in 99

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1006 comments I'm like youTrent, had it on vhs, but went and bought on dvd. Its one of all time favorite movies.

Trent (stephenkingaddiction) | 152 comments I have it on blu ray now

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments I love the movie. And Barry Pepper, who played one of the guards, was recently in Broken City. He'd aged a bit, and I hadn't realized until then how long ago the movie version of The Green Mile had been released.

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) I've only watched the movie. How much better is the book? Is it worth reading after seeing the movie ?

message 20: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2577 comments Mod
Time to read this for the group read. Remember to mark all SPOILERS!!!

message 21: by Ruthbie (new) - added it

Ruthbie | 4 comments Definitely worth reading the book I think even if you have seen the movie, personally I always get more out of the book even if I've seen a movie numerous times.

Novia (novroz) | 76 comments I love this book. one of my favorite from King. Too bad I can't join the readalong, my friend borrowed the book and hasn't returnef it

message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill (bushbark) | 16 comments Frank Muller is reading me The Green Mile and it is as wonderful as I remember it being the first time I read it. There was a forward to this audio book from SK explaining how the serial part came about that I hadn't come across before but I just looked in my new hardcover and it is there. I think I read this first as the little serial paperbacks from the library.
Movie is one of my favorites, perfect character match up to actors.
Plan to read the book after listening just to thoroughly absorb it, then watch the movie.

message 24: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill (bushbark) | 16 comments Ps the book is always better than the movie IMHO but here the movie is almost as good.

Novia (novroz) | 76 comments totally agree with Jill...both are equally good

Scott (ttownscott) Just cracking it open...

Alison | 3 comments Just finished the book. Really great. Glad this was chosen for this month's group read. Superb character development as usual, better than the movie- which was also great. Definitely made me really consider Capitol punishment from a different point of view.

Alison | 3 comments Just finished the book. Really great. Glad this was chosen for this month's group read. Superb character development as usual, better than the movie- which was also great. Definitely made me really consider Capitol punishment from a different point of view.

message 29: by Squire (last edited Jul 05, 2013 10:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments Reading this along with everybody else. I just started. This will be my first revisit in 17 years for this book. This time it's the single book format and King mentions that he changed a scene around from the serialization of the book. I'll be looking for that as I read.

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments Things like this jump out at me.

(view spoiler)

Oh well.

Joanie | 59 comments I loved this book and the movie. I don't have time to re-read this right now but I'm looking forward to reading everyone's comments.

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments I'm halfway through the book and I think it worked better as a serial. Taken as a whole, the constant break in's for present narration seem haphazard at best and break the rhythym of King's otherwise masterful tale. The character of Brad Dolan doesn't seem to have much use in the novel as of yet (his exlusion form the movie was a wise decision).

But I am enjoying this trip down memory lane (mine as well as Boss Edgecomb's)!

Scott (ttownscott) Squire,
I just read that section at lunch.

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 341 comments I saw the movie years ago and loved it but I've never got around to reading the books. Just started them in the serial version and I'm part way through the third - Coffey's Hands. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm always impressed with the way King can make you love characters who have done terrible things (murderers etc).

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments Scott wrote: "Squire,
I just read that section at lunch.

[spoilers removed]"

My bad. Will have to go back and look at it again. Thanks!

message 36: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim | 139 comments The Green Mile is one of my favorite Stephen King books. I have read it several times. My only quibble is that he has purely southern characters using occasional northern expressions, but I guess he hasn't had much exposure to the southern dialect. Being a lifelong southerner, some of these usages clashed with my sensibilities.

Scott (ttownscott) I'm liking this book, but progressing slower than I hoped. Just finished the first installment. Weather's too nice to be reading!

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments Finished the serial novel. I found the narration of the story in 1932 to be some of King's best writing, but the 1996 narration to be less effective. I still don't feel that Brad Dolan was a very effective character, but overall, a very good King book. Still only a 4-star effort for me.

Emily (eimbesi) | 2 comments I read this book a while ago and thought it was great - such a moving story... I cried for the entire last section. It never ceases to amaze me at the depth Stephen King has when it comes to his books & stories. One book can make you laugh, another cry, and another can scare the crap out of you (I will 1 day overcome my fear and read It lol)... The movie was really good too - better than I expected...

message 40: by Ilsa (new)

Ilsa | 2 comments I read this years ago when it came out as a serial novel, and I remember waiting on pins and needles for the next to come out. I have seen the movie and I thought everyone they cast was perfect in their parts. The book is so intense! It really showcases his ability to draw the reader into his picture of that world, and it really grabbed me as a look at the social issues that still exist today. The Zimmerman trial is over, and racism as a part of law is alive and well.

Steve | 247 comments When the movie came out, I thought "Damn, that IS John Coffey!" It is sad Michael Clarke Duncan didn't get to do much else of this calibre of movie after that.

Squire is right, it is much more effective read "serially".

SLIGHT SPOILER: Having no Brad Dolan in the movie (the most predominant change) was no loss at all.

message 42: by Scott (last edited Jul 26, 2013 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott (ttownscott) I'm at 57% and will finish this weekend. (view spoiler)

Michaela | 4 comments This book was simply an insperation!

message 44: by CJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

CJ (chefcjlong) This is one of my favorite King books......IT is one of the books along with Pet Sematary, which I did my first book report on and the school called and yelled at my mom for letting me read at such a high level, they are the ones that drew me into Sai King....I have a facebook page called Stephen King Discussion Club. I have a King collection that was appraised at 30 grand with all the first editions and autographs. King is one of the greatest writers in my book.

Danielle | 57 comments CJ wrote: "This is one of my favorite King books......IT is one of the books along with Pet Sematary, which I did my first book report on and the school called and yelled at my mom for letting me read at such..."

He is the king.

Danielle | 57 comments Before this year I had only read Pet Sematary. This year I started with Bag of Bones then I read The Green Mile. In my opinion they are two of the best that I have read so far followed closely by The Shining and Doctor Sleep.

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 149 comments Cindy wrote: "I have both versions, but yeah, if i had to choose i'd have to say that this is probably my second favorite king novel[after the stand, of course!]

I cried so hard reading this, my parents were al..."

Just finished this one last week, and my husband came in as I was crying, near the end. I have to say, one of my absolute favorite books by King, or any other author, for that matter. My husband thought it was okay, but I thought it was just wonderful. I would be hard pressed to explain why; I liked the prison guards, with the exception of Percy, of course. And the descriptions of the antics of Mr. Jingles made me laugh, so the small element of humor, if you can have humor in that setting, was good, too. All in all, a touching story, IMHO.

Kandice | 4084 comments Teresa, I think much as you need dark to really experience and appreciate light, so do you need humor and joy to appreciate the horror or sadness of a story. King understands that and is a master at inserting just enough.

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 149 comments Kandice wrote: "Teresa, I think much as you need dark to really experience and appreciate light, so do you need humor and joy to appreciate the horror or sadness of a story. King understands that and is a master a..."

Very, very well said, Kandice!

message 50: by CJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

CJ (chefcjlong) Teresa wrote: "Kandice wrote: "Teresa, I think much as you need dark to really experience and appreciate light, so do you need humor and joy to appreciate the horror or sadness of a story. King understands that a..."
Very well said....

« previous 1