Shut Up & Read discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
Archives > Cinder by Marissa Meyer - March

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Mar 01, 2012 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12348 comments Mod
Discuss Cinder here! Use (view spoiler) please!!

Enter the March BotM contest here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

Candice (candicerae27) | 68 comments OMG! I just saw that Cinder is one of the books being read by the group this month & i just so happened 2 pick it up like 2wks ago & ive been dying to read it 4 a few months now so im so excited that ill have other people to talk about the book w/ well @least peeps that'll kno what im talkin bout!! Lol

message 3: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Linwood (alycia_linwood) I still can't decide should I read this one or not. It sounds interesting, but the idea of cyborgs puts me off a bit.

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I *loved* this book! It was nice to read a scifi book written for girls. My review is here.

I can't wait to hear what everyone else thought of it.

Tanecia  (books101) | 3795 comments Mod
Alycia wrote: "I still can't decide should I read this one or not. It sounds interesting, but the idea of cyborgs puts me off a bit."

I feel the exact same way when I read the first chapter. I ended up putting it on hold because I couldn't grasp the idea of a girl cyborg.

message 6: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin  Black (eblack) | 67 comments I cant wait to read this!!!! Not normally something I would pick up, but I'm going to!

Lily | 180 comments Looking forward to reading this one this month as well! Sounds really interesting.

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Tt wrote: "Alycia wrote: "I still can't decide should I read this one or not. It sounds interesting, but the idea of cyborgs puts me off a bit."

I feel the exact same way when I read the first chapter. I end..."

I'd recommend hanging with it...the cyborg aspect works really well in this book imho.

Tanecia  (books101) | 3795 comments Mod
I will definitely give it a try but the concept still boggles me lol.

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I think it's the name 'cyborg'. It makes me think of Battlestar Gallactica, lol.

message 11: by Micheal (new)

Micheal Hay (michealarthurjameshay) | 4 comments Don't get me wrong, but the description of the book makes me think that maybe... I... might........ not want to read it. Not saying I won't, because I like to keep an open mind. But why is it, and I say this in general, do the synopsis always make the book unappealing? I feel like for Cinder, they seem to be picking all the strange and/or cliché types of description, and that just doesn't work for me. I usually just go on the recommendations of people that have read the book, and can describe it in three or so pages. Is it just me? For the record, I didn't like the description of my plot line either, but I went with my publishers instinct.

message 12: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary | 28 comments I just read this book about a week ago. At first I was put off by the sci-fi terms, too. I was wondering if I'd really have to read the phrase "retina display" every time Cinder saw something. It turned out to not be such an issue. It's an easy, interesting read- maybe just a little too predictable at times. I only wish I hadn't read it for a few more years, just so I could breeze through the whole series at once.

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I agree that, at times, it was a little too predictable, and I also thought the Cinderella theme was a little forced. *But* there were enough surprises to make it fun.

message 14: by Belkis (last edited Mar 06, 2012 06:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Belkis (bminaya) | 603 comments I read this last month and ended up enjoying it quite a bit despite the obvious cons. Yes, it does have some predictabilities with the Cinderella similarities, however I found that Marissa Meyer was able to breathe enough newness into it to make it her own and that the Cinderella similarities actually worked nicely in her rendition. I was also able to see beyond the scifi cyborg part of Cinder because the author did such a great job at bringing forth her humanity as well as weaving a story line and plot which mandated her cyborg integration as the means for her survival. By the second half of the book I was thoroughly enjoying it quite a bit. I liked the premise of the story, it didn't seem overdone. The characters were well rounded and developed. It had a nice range of emotions throughout the story. It had humor, sadness, loss, injustice, action, romance, a little bit of everything. If you have the book, or are just a bit hesitant about reading it, I say give it a try since it's the book of the month it's the perfect opportunity to dive in. As I said, by the end of this book I was totally looking forward to the next installment in this series.

Alley Kat (alleykat666) I read this book right after it came out and I really enjoyed it. The whole cyborg aspect works well in the plot and the girl has a very interesting past.

message 16: by cy (new) - rated it 4 stars

cy YAY!!! picked this up about three hours ago!!!!

Rebecka Still waiting for it to come in to the library! It's a very popular read apparently

message 18: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia (writeralicia) I'm really looking forward to reading this book, but I'm not sure I'll get to it this month. :(

Looking forward to reading the discussion though.

Tawna | 479 comments I just finished reading this book and I liked it...basically. There were parts where I felt it melded Cinderella and Snow White or maybe Sleeping Beauty?? (view spoiler) That sort of bugged me a bit for some reason. Also I figured out a big part closer to the beginning of the book and it would have been kinda cool not to have guessed that.

Anywho, for the most part I liked the book and will read the rest whenever they finally come out.

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ wrote: "I just finished reading this book and I liked it...basically. There were parts where I felt it melded Cinderella and Snow White or maybe Sleeping Beauty?? [spoilers removed] That sort of bugged m..."

Hmmm...I never thought of the Snow White comparison, but that makes a lot of sense. Good thought!

I forgot to add how much I loved Iko!

message 22: by Jacqui (last edited Mar 09, 2012 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacqui (jacqui-lee) | 37 comments I finished the book in like 5 hours:( that is the only thing that disappointed me, the story line is simple but a great twist on the cinderella story. The cyborg thing put me off when I read the description I thought it would be all sci-fi, but so much more YA. I would love to see this in the theaters every generation has a unique cinderella story. Cinder would be a great addition!!

message 23: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary | 28 comments ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ wrote: "I just finished reading this book and I liked it...basically. There were parts where I felt it melded Cinderella and Snow White or maybe Sleeping Beauty?? [spoilers removed] That sort of bugged m..."

That was my problem with it, too. She gave out slightly too big a hint at the very beginning. I still liked it, though.

message 24: by cy (new) - rated it 4 stars

cy this book was okay...so obviously a lead on to another book though (view spoiler)

Anissa (anissaannalise) | 3 comments I read this back in January & quite enjoyed it. I'm a huge scifi addict, so I was a bit predisposed to be taken in by the scifi-fairytale thing. I don't see a lot of YA scifi & had to jump at the chance. I found it a bit slow in the middle but I'd long figured out the big reveal so I can forgive that. The beginning & the ending were both strong. I look forward to the second in this trilogy.

message 26: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily It was slightly predictable, and my expectations might have been too high, but I did enjoy it. It was a nice spin on a classic fairy tale. I liked the sc-fi/dystopian spin on it. I will definitely read the sequel.

Candice (candicerae27) | 68 comments I just started reading it & i'm only on the 2nd chapter, i'm trying not 2 look @ the reviews too much bcuz i want 2 form an opinion 4 myself, but i can't help but notice everyone keeps saying its predictable! Hello it's Cinderella of course u know whats gonna happen! Idk maybe its just me that feels that way?!

Tawna | 479 comments Candice wrote: "I just started reading it & i'm only on the 2nd chapter....."

Maybe you will understand why people think parts of it are predictable the more you read through it. It wasn't the Cinderella aspect that made it predictable and I actually thought the spin they did with the relationship between the prince and her was very well done.

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ wrote: "Candice wrote: "I just started reading it & i'm only on the 2nd chapter....."

Maybe you will understand why people think parts of it are predictable the more you read through it. It wasn't the Ci..."

Yes, I agree. Actually, I predicted the ending in about chapter 3. But I liked the writing so much it really didn't matter to me!

Candice (candicerae27) | 68 comments What does the prince end up being a cyborg too! Lol

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) Candice wrote: "What does the prince end up being a cyborg too! Lol"

I'm not giving anything away! LOL!

Candice (candicerae27) | 68 comments aww.. I feel like he does is that whats hidden in the android he wants Cinder 2 fix. Idk i mean he ends up being w/Cinder he has 2 it's Cinderella! So he either doesn't care that she cyborg or he's one himself! Argh i hate not knowing LoL! I'm gonna finish it 2day- I need 2 know!! HaHa LOL

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) Candice wrote: "aww.. I feel like he does is that whats hidden in the android he wants Cinder 2 fix. Idk i mean he ends up being w/Cinder he has 2 it's Cinderella! So he either doesn't care that she cyborg or he's..."

LOL!

Natasha (nalacelle) | 4 comments I read the first couple of chapters of this book and wasn't entirely sure about the book but I kept reading and it was great. It got to the point where I didn't want to put the book down and I really want to read the next book now :) Really glad it was BOTM :)

Deeann (forevereader61) | 50 comments Well I too have been alittle hesitant because of the scifi twist but u all have convinced me to give it a try....I think i will pick it up from the library cause i am still not sure it will be a "I have to have my own copy" type of book for me....but I am definitely more intrigued than i was before!

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Deeann wrote: "Well I too have been alittle hesitant because of the scifi twist but u all have convinced me to give it a try....I think i will pick it up from the library cause i am still not sure it will be a "I..."

Definitely try it, Deeann! It is a scifi book, but it isn't hardcore scifi (not like Bradbury or Asimov). It has a nice romance in it, too :)

message 37: by Desiree (new) - added it

Desiree (desigay) | 24 comments I'm REALLY not into cyborgs and androids so I didn't want to read even though I love the cover but then I saw so many rave reviews and it peaked my interest a little but not enough to buy. I found the first five sample chapters on Amazon and read them. After that I immediately bought the book. It was so engaging even with the sci-fi aspects which tend to turn me off a bit.

Candice (candicerae27) | 68 comments Omg I just saw that the sequel is going 2 be called Scarlet and that Cinder (aka cinderella) will still be in it but there'll also be Little Red Riding Hood! I think that's where the name Scarlet comes from. I also heard that each book (i think they said 4 all together) will have a new fairytale female character but Cinder's story will still be in them! Idk has anyone else heard this?

Rebecka Just picked it up! I'll be starting it tonight or tomorrow. It's not something I'd have picked up normally because of the sci-fi but you are all saying such awesome things about it.

Deeann (forevereader61) | 50 comments Michelle L. wrote: "Deeann wrote: "Well I too have been alittle hesitant because of the scifi twist but u all have convinced me to give it a try....I think i will pick it up from the library cause i am still not sure ..."

I am heading to the library tomorrow to pick it up....u guys have convinced me;)

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) Rebecka wrote: "Just picked it up! I'll be starting it tonight or tomorrow. It's not something I'd have picked up normally because of the sci-fi but you are all saying such awesome things about it."

Rebecka it was so not up my alley with the sci-fi/cyborg stuff. But I actually enjoyed reading it! The story was really nice.

message 42: by Kari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kari I could not put this book down. I read it in the span of only a few hours. I loved how the author modernized (or really future-ized ) Cinderella. I cannot wait until the next book comes out.

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Deeann wrote: "Michelle L. wrote: "Deeann wrote: "Well I too have been alittle hesitant because of the scifi twist but u all have convinced me to give it a try....I think i will pick it up from the library cause ..."

Yay!!

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) Renee wrote: "Oh and if it makes anyone feel better... I didnt even know that a cyborg was until I read this book."

I didn't know either.
Yes there are other books coming, right now at least 3 more that I can see.

message 45: by Desiree (new) - added it

Desiree (desigay) | 24 comments Renee wrote: "Oh and if it makes anyone feel better... I didnt even know that a cyborg was until I read this book."

Me neither! I had heard the word before but I had no idea what it meant. i have only read the sample chapters though, not the whole book yet. I wasn't even all that clear on androids! Haha

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Renee wrote: Thats good! The book just ended so suddenly it was weird to me!

I agree. The ending was very abrupt.

message 47: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Lowry (mlowry57) | 6 comments Read this book. Loved it! Can't wait 'til the others are published! Very refreshing, updated take on the Cinderella story.

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Angela wrote: "Pretty decent story. However, the ending seemed to rush and ended quickly."

That was my major complaint, too. I felt things were left too open. Otherwise, I really enjoyed it.

message 49: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily | 180 comments Finally reached the ending, and it sure was left completely open for pick up on book 2. Though I have to say, I figured out who she really was as soon as they talked about the murdered Lunar family. No surprises there. But I was left unsatisfied with the romantic connection... After reading the Iron King and really feeling that flutter in my chest over the scenes between the two main characters, and they just locked eyes most of the time... Maybe I am being over critical but I kept waiting for more of an emotional connection between the Cinder and Prince Kai...

Don't get me wrong, it was really enjoyable to read. You don't read a book in 4 hours if you are not enjoying it. I was actually pleasantly surprised with this one as well. It was a really cool twist in the Cinderella type plot, introducing a futuristic world.

Thanks all for the really good choices for March! I really enjoyed both reads.

Juliana (julezrussell) Just finished it! Took me a few hours. Will there be a sequel? Any idea what it will be called?

I thought that the twist from the original story was clever-definentaly an original. I enjoyed it.

« previous 1