Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

It's Kind of a Funny Story
This topic is about It's Kind of a Funny Story
Book Club Discussions > March 2012- It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
It's time for March's group read. use this thread to discuss It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. Please mark spoilers.

Enjoy!

message 2: by Kellee (new) - added it

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I've always wanted to read this book (and see the movie). I saw Ned speak at ALAN and he was so funny, but real- made me want to read it even more. I'd love to hear what some of you that read it thought of it.

message 3: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

I started it this weekend and promptly read 80 pages. It feels very real to me.

message 4: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

I'm to the party and he's torturing himself by watching his best friend make out with his crush. I remember doing that when I was younger...

Maree | 233 comments Sorry, late to the party. I thought this was a pretty awesome story. The voice was amazing and spot on for a teenage boy. It seemed very real, and that bit at the end where it says this book was written right after the author did a stint in a mental hospital really made me wonder how much he'd drawn on from his experiences with people there.

Did anyone else thing the pictures in the book seemed like they'd be way cooler than the example on the cover?

Esther (eshchory) I won this book awhile back and was worried it was going to be a depressing tale of teenage angst. The group read convinced me to pick it up and I'm so glad I did. The writing style is so gentle and easy to read while the subject matter is surprisingly up lifting.
A book I will be recommending to my two teenagers.

Desiree Maree ♫ Light's Shadow ♪ wrote: "Sorry, late to the party. I thought this was a pretty awesome story. The voice was amazing and spot on for a teenage boy. It seemed very real, and that bit at the end where it says this book was..."

Yes! Definitely thought that his drawings would be much better than the example on the cover! I thought that during the book and totally forgot about it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

It's Kind of a Funny Story (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ned Vizzini (other topics)