Book Haven discussion

Promotional Discussions > Six Clicks Away

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Rozanski | 27 comments As miraculous as our wired world may be, everything connected to everything else eventually shows its downside. A rumor, a virus, a financial crisis – these days, they all cascade throughout the world in record time. SIX CLICKS AWAY, drama winner of the 2010 Red Adept Annual Indie Awards, the tells the story of a single ripple through a tangled web, and how one person can affect us all. FREE for the next 3 days on Amazon. Please check it out at http://www.amazon.com/Six-Clicks-Away...

message 2: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Sounds interesting. I wonder what the six clicks refers to. Clicking on a computer link. Or the unit of measure used in distance. Like that villige is six clicks down the road?

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe (skinsjoe) | 100 comments Just added it to my Kindle. Thank you.

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Rozanski | 27 comments Cary,
"Six Clicks" refers to the theory of six degrees of separation - that any two strangers can be linked through six different friends of friends. There were studies on it in the 1960's which found the number of links was six. Now, of course with the Internet,it's more like 3(or less).

Joe, thanks for adding it!

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Rozanski | 27 comments Sorry, I just realized I still didn't define "clicks". It's clicking on a web link.

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Rozanski | 27 comments There’s a lot of talk about how writers are better off not reading their reviews - the critical ones can definitely make you crazy. Well, call me dysfunctional, but I can’t help but read the reviews, bad or good.

Sadly, what I’ve just been seeing on SIX CLICKS AWAY are 2* ratings. And it bothers me plenty. Of course I want people to like what I write. I’m open to thoughtful criticism, but these last few ratings have been without reviews, so I have no idea where the problem lies. The initial reviews on Amazon (and even Goodreads) were very good. In fact, the first review I got was from Red Adept, who gave it a 5* and selected SIX CLICKS as a drama winner in her 2010 Annual Indie Contest.

So, why the discrepancy? Perhaps it’s that the description doesn’t telegraph that SIX CLICKS AWAY is a novel in linked stories. (Think A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD or LET THE GREAT WORLD SPIN, both terrific.) In my book, there’s one subplot that runs through it like a backbone, and the rest of the character stories are connected like ribs.

So, those readers who expected that the characters would appear over and over in the book may have been disappointed. Well,that’s the nature of the form – the characters are definitely connected (in this case through the Internet),but they have separate lives.

Personally, I think SIX CLICKS is one of my most appealing books. The characters are fully fleshed; there’s humor, and the pacing is fast. But obviously I’m biased, so I’d like to know what the readers think and why.

SIX CLICKS AWAY will be free on Amazon next Monday and Tuesday (April 9 and 10). Please download a copy, read it, and comment on this thread or write a review and tell me what you like or don’t like. Maybe there’s something I can clarify. After all, isn’t that one of the functions of Goodreads?