Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

House of Secrets
This topic is about House of Secrets
Christian Fiction Group Reads > March 2012's Group Read - House of Secrets by Tracie Peterson

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments When her father orchestrates a surprise trip to the summer house of her childhood, Bailee Cooper is unprepared for what follows. What is intended to be a happy reunion for Bailee and her sisters, Geena and Piper, quickly becomes shrouded by memories from the past.
Together again, the three sisters sift through their recollections of fifteen years ago...of an ill mother, and of their father making a desperate choice. They vowed, as children, to be silent--but one sister believes the truth must now be revealed. Yet can they trust their memories?
Mark Delahunt arrives in the wake of this emotional turmoil. Determined to win Bailee's affection, Mark becomes the strong fortress for her in this time of confusion, and what was once a tentative promise begins to take root and grow. Caught between the past and an uncertain future, can Bailee let God guide her to heal the past and ultimately to embrace love?

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand So, who is joining in with this month's alternative read? I have to admit, I'm going to skip this one as I have a lot of reading to do for university right now, but the reviews for this book intrigue me. Looking forward to reading the thoughts of those who do read this book!

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments I'll be reading this one! :)

message 4: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Woodsmall | 8 comments I'm reading this one! So far, I am really enjoying it.

-Cindy Woodsmall

Kate (liahonagirl) ACK! What to say about this book? For me, at least this was a 'fasten-your-seatbelts-'cause-we're-going-for-a-ride' novel. It started off a LITTLE slow, but once they hit Bremerton, WHOMP! No holds barred, you best hold on for dear life! And I mean that in the best of ways. :)
This was a difficult topic for me to read about, but healing at the same time. So much of what Bailee went through with her mother's illness and being the eldest sister resonated with me because of my own place as the eldest sister and with my own mother's mental illness. So yes, I really identified with Bailee, so much so that it was painful at times.
Yet, as with Bailee, feeling those painful emotions and remembering the turbulent times has led to a measure of healing. I know there are still layers of hurt that God and I have to work out together, but I think this book was helpful to me in continuing the process of healing that I have to go through.
5 star read for me, for sure (and for certain!)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Just finished this one! Really enjoyed except for a few parts too preachy for my taste. Very interesting topic though!

Shaz (zabooksihaveread) | 74 comments I have this book waiting to be read. Hoping to get to it soon but won't be this month.